Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

Look kids, I have an opinion too, so it is about time that I tell you all how I feel. The Resistance, in itself, is not really what's to be expected of an album named the Resistance, since that title suggests that something is being resisted, when in fact the sounds of this album is more conforming to already existing genres than resisting the sound of the music that has reached our ears in the last few decades. It should be called the Already Existence. You know what I mean? Furthermore, I really love the piano and how you can hear that Matt's fingers are touching the keys, though in the third part of the symphony, he should really have hit the keys a bit harder, because now it sucks and otherwise it would have been a masterpiece. Personally I like the fact that I know everything about music and what is good and bad as well, like OOS is really good but Timbaland sucks because sometimes people play his music on the radio and also people like to dance to it and that's just not angsty. Whatever happened to epicness, like when songs lasted longer than 30 seconds? I really don't like how the album is so short, it seems like only two songs are longer than half a minute and they sound like Goldfrapp and Queen when they are supposed to sound like Radiohead. Also Muse are supposed to be 20 years old and smashing guitars on stage. What are they going to smash now they're all old? Synths? Violins? Walkers? They need to be young again and I need to be young too so I can remember what it was like to hear them for the first time. Everything has just really gone downhill lately and it's all their fault because ever since OOS it's never been 2001 again.

Look kids, I have an opinion too, so it is about time that I tell you all how I feel. The Resistance, in itself, is not really what's to be expected of an album named the Resistance, since that title suggests that something is being resisted, when in fact the sounds of this album is more conforming to already existing genres than resisting the sound of the music that has reached our ears in the last few decades. It should be called the Already Existence. You know what I mean? Furthermore, I really love the piano and how you can hear that Matt's fingers are touching the keys, though in the third part of the symphony, he should really have hit the keys a bit harder, because now it sucks and otherwise it would have been a masterpiece. Personally I like the fact that I know everything about music and what is good and bad as well, like OOS is really good but Timbaland sucks because sometimes people play his music on the radio and also people like to dance to it and that's just not angsty. Whatever happened to epicness, like when songs lasted longer than 30 seconds? I really don't like how the album is so short, it seems like only two songs are longer than half a minute and they sound like Goldfrapp and Queen when they are supposed to sound like Radiohead. Also Muse are supposed to be 20 years old and smashing guitars on stage. What are they going to smash now they're all old? Synths? Violins? Walkers? They need to be young again and I need to be young too so I can remember what it was like to hear them for the first time. Everything has just really gone downhill lately and it's all their fault because ever since OOS it's never been 2001 again.

I lol'd.

I don't necessarily agree with the OP; I think what we've heard so far sounds different and unusual, yes, but also very promising and fresh.

What I don't understand is how the majority of this board seems to dislike BH&R and now praises what we've heard from TR, a record that seems to be very similar to BH&R. :erm:

I don't necessarily agree with the OP; I think what we've heard so far sounds different and unusual, yes, but also very promising and fresh.

What I don't understand is how the majority of this board seems to dislike BH&R and now praises what we've heard from TR, a record that seems to be very similar to BH&R. :erm:

In what sense? That a lot of songs are different from eachother? Cause that's the only thing I see the same.

one word regarding this thread: asinine.

strike that -- two: LOL. oh feck, now we're technically up to four...

...and i suppose that, since we're now at 'four', i must 'do what i'm told'...and 'be (the) only one' to shut up and passively observe the inevitable wankery that is soon to follow my equally wankery-laden post.

*cues the last minute-ish of the 2004 glasto CE amalgam / TaB* as i ride off into the quasi-sunset of yet another thread. ...on a "dusting" of anti-psychotics...

Well I am also here to say that I am afraid of The Resistance. I agree with those who said that 30 second previews can't really aid in making a valid judgement. So I will wait until September 15th for my copy and brace myself for what I will hear haha. But I love Muse. And you know, if this album doesn't sink in...so? The band will make many more albums to come (hopefully) so I believe people really shouldn't get too pissed off or disappointed. If The Resistance ends up not being your cup of tea, just wait for the next album and then maybe you get something more to your liking :happy:

Whatever happened to epicness, like when songs lasted longer than 30 seconds? I really don't like how the album is so short, it seems like only two songs are longer than half a minute and they sound like Goldfrapp and Queen when they are supposed to sound like Radiohead.

Frankly, I think this is the best part about the album. I (and many other people) don't really have an attention span for anything lasting longer 15 seconds, let alone 30 seconds. Besides, it gives more air time to those funny&quirky little commercials with jingles on the radio which are fun to quote and sing along to :happy:

Very Well Said!

They did say a long time ago that if they were to name one song on BHaR that would be most like the resistance it was MotP. I don't know about you but it sounds very much like this - the techno digital / electronic sound and heavy vocals are all this album seems to be. Also you don't put something like the fuzz factory into the album hence Plug in Baby - the first thirty seconds of that song live are Matt on the fuzz factory but all it is on the recording is some feedback and randomness leading from Hyper Music.

Thank you for this. I needed a solid laugh.

Best post. :LOL:

I must admit, I'm not hyped by any of the samples, but then again they are only a fraction of the songs.

I'm a great fan of Muse for about 4/5 years and as my taste in music evolves as everyone else's, Matt isn't stuck in time so he is no exception, personally if I was in he's position I'd go through some experimental stuff like he did, maybe not exactly how he did but try to explore new areas. MAybe it will be better for all of us to take this album as a wild experiment from Mr. Bellamy :D

Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and Exogenesis are sounding quite interesting though...

Look kids, I have an opinion too, so it is about time that I tell you all how I feel. The Resistance, in itself, is not really what's to be expected of an album named the Resistance, since that title suggests that something is being resisted, when in fact the sounds of this album is more conforming to already existing genres than resisting the sound of the music that has reached our ears in the last few decades.

Perhaps 'The Resistance' means resisting to make another album that sounds like OoS, which is exactly what people on this message board keep moaning about.:LOL:

Wow, the arrogance displayed by the title of this thread alone is stunning. This is the "elephant in the room"? Is your opinion only valid if you convince yourself that it's what everyone else is secretly thinking?

Learn to speak for yourself.

I think The Resistance is easily shaping up to be Muse's best work to date. The samples have me stoked beyond belief, and "Uprising" embarrasses pretty much everything else on the radio today. The mentality of "OMG HOW DARE MUSE BE CATCHY AND DANCEABLE" smacks of narrow-mindedness ("stay in my little comfort zone all your life, Muse! Never do anything else!") - not to mention it's quite hilarious, as I'm sure Muse doesn't give a crap how "mainstream" they are/aren't perceived as... they write the songs they like. If you're not onboard with that, your loss.

Just because you're getting all slack-jawed and panicky at the new diversity in Muse's sound doesn't mean the rest of us are. Certainly not me.

Amazing. I'm still in shock that someone would have the gall to post a thread with this title. It's one thing to post a thread titled "I'm not so sure about this album..." (though it's still presumptuous to think your opinion deserves a separate thread, as there's already threads about "hopes and fears" for the album, etc)... but, wow.

I guess most of all could agree that OoS or perhaps Absolution was the best thing they've done so far, but does it have to be THAT good?

I think people need to get a grip on themselves, and accept what's good even though it might not be excellent.

Some people in this message board remind me of those Metallica fans who hail 'Master of Puppets' as their Bible, and everytime a new album comes out they just get pissed off because it's not as great as 'Master of Puppets'.

BTW, i've been looking on iTunes at older album samples, these songs have missed out their main riffs.

No main riff in New Born, Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, No piano solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes, no main bass riff in Time Is Running Out.

I mean geez it goes on and on, they arent going to give away the best bits in the 30 second sample, the only song i feel where we have the best of is Guiding Light, becuase they put the solo in the sample, hence not much will happen so they are trying to maintain a good work-rate if that makes sense.

But, hell, I'm might even be wrong. Muse might be lying, there may be a secret 30 minute syphony in that song too. :p

All i say is relax, i mean i can relate to you too, i dislike USoE, and Uprising is good, but there are better songs IMO, but dont write the album off until you hear it.

Undisclosed Desires FTW!

BTW, i've been looking on iTunes at older album samples, these songs have missed out their main riffs.

No main riff in New Born, Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, No piano solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes, no main bass riff in Time Is Running Out.

All i say is relax, i mean i can relate to you too, i dislike USoE, and Uprising is good, but there are better songs IMO, but dont write the album off until you hear it.

Undisclosed Desires FTW!

Yeah, it's a good point that Muse tends to put a lot more in their songs than a 30-second clip would reveal, and it's certainly that spirit that has revived my hopes a bit. I guess my first post was a bit melodramatic, haha :LOL:

Also to clarify (ahem, Torque), there's a difference between not liking the new songs on the principle that they are mainstream and not liking songs that happen to go mainstream. I'm just not liking the sound in the samples I hear. If you get, as you said, stoked, that's great; we just have different tastes in music, and that's okay.

And yes, I did just learn how to use bold.:happy:

I'm sure someone has already said this but even though I am not completely in love with the TWO whole songs we've heard so far, one of them is growing on me and I wouldn't even dare to judge an album when all we've got is 30 second samples!

As far as I see it, they seem to have picked the most boring/straight forward parts of the songs in the samples anyway and still I won't judge the album. I think the only track that I can't see past being anything other than rubbish is Resistance.

Generally, yeah, hold fire on losing faith in the album until you've at least been able to hear more than about 1/10 of each song. I appreciate that you can get a vague idea from a few samples, but Muse go everywhere in their songs (USoE etc) so it's pretty dangerous to assume that each sample is representative.

Interesting views on what people think of their older albums, mind. I've always personally thought that Absolution is their weakest effort whilst Black Holes is their strongest, but it goes to show that each album is so different that there's going to be a wide range of opinion.

Let's do a thinkback to previous Muse albums.

If iTunes only had the first 30 seconds of Take a Bow, we would have thought the song was ambient and not the monster it becomes half way though.

If iTunes only had 30 seconds of the interlude of Butterflies and Hurricanes, we would have thought it was some symphonic track. Not the rocker it is.

If iTunes only had 30 seconds of the verse of Microcuts, we would think it was some Opera thing, not the insanity it becomes in the chorus.

So yeah, it's impossible to judge a song from 30 seconds of a sample. You never know where Muse may go with a song. It would be like watching 5 minutes of the start of "Friday the 13th" and thinking the movie is all about crazy sexed up teens at a campground.

Archived