Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

The 30 second clips of all the Muse songs on the Resistance just suck then, not the whole songs :rolleyes:

See? They could still be good. And in another thread, people were posting lyrics which sounded pretty ridiculous, but saying they were totally appropriate in context. So these clips could be similar, in that when we hear the entire songs, we may think "ohhh, that's how it fits", rather than "here comes the shit part".

Maybe. :p

Guest QueenOfNerds

I can understand why people are feeling a little anxious about the clips, they do sound quite poppy. But yeah we have to wait to hear the whole thing blah blah blah.

I can feel some of the fear of people on here. A few of the tracks on the preview do sound a bit naff (from the meager 30 secs we have heard...could be a lot different when I hear the whole thing).

BUT...There are some awesome sounding songs on here.

So far songs I think arnt that great =

*Resistance

*Guiding light

*I belong to you

*MK Ultra

Songs that I think are fricking awesome ( ! )

*Uprising

*Undisclosed desires (I had anticipated hating this one from descriptions..but its cool).

*United states of Eurasia

*Unnatural selection

*Exogenesis symphony (parts 1, 2 and 3...This sounds just as amazing as I had hoped).

Guest QueenOfNerds

I am really liking the sound of Undisclosed desires *involuntarily vomits in own mouth at poison words*

Damn you Mrs Bellamy.

Also liking the sound of you belong to me.

Only one I am not sure of yet is guiding light.

I'd say that you can judge the songs by the 30sec clips, shining light isn't going to suddenly turn into a metal riff and RATM style breakdown, it's pop, you can surmise that much.

Whilst I would love to have another round of OOS or BHAR or Absolution, Muse have moved on. To their credit they came up with three albums in a specific style, with consistently good, original material that was not getting stale, they probably need to move away for some new inspiration.

My only worry is that they've thrown out their eccentricity/originality, and value for music, just to produce music more in line with indie/dance stuff, to make money...

So many people say: "I hate this band, they sold out, I was a fan way before they became mainstream" etc. etc. Which is annoying, but I fear many of Muse's fans will feel this way...

So many people say: "I hate this band, they sold out, I was a fan way before they became mainstream" etc. etc. Which is annoying, but I fear many of Muse's fans will feel this way...

I hope there won't be too many people reacting like that, because I really don't think that's the case. In some ways, this is shaping up to be Muse's most experimental album yet, sticking together classic Muse elements with various other genres. Even if the singles from The Resistance do become popular with more mainstream listeners, they'll be the edgiest thing those people listen to.

I hope there won't be too many people reacting like that, because I really don't think that's the case.

Just look at the many threads popping up and people's comments about the album already? So many 'fans' are complaining about Muse changing, and the album has only had a preview, it's gonna be crazy when it's out...

And i think rather than this album being a case of Muse becoming 'the edgiest thing' people listen to, it's a case of Muse trying to be less edgy for people to listen to...

Sorry to make it a glass half full scenario, but that's just how I feel, hopefully there'll be something on the album to get me playing me guitar. And hopefully i will enjoy it, in the end, as a massive fan, all I want is more Muse.

pretty stupid if you are judging a whole album when we have only heard 2 songs and a bunch of 30 second clips.

And at the end of the day if you dont like it build a bridge and get over it, there are loads of other bands out there which make better music than muse so go listen to one of them instead.

It's really silly to judge or even write off the album on the basis of these small clips. And i have to say i think it sounds wicked. I love the funky if you will feel of some of the songs and the electronic/synth stuff is just awesome. All in all i'm very optimistic. And i think Exogenesis will be so fantastic.

+1 to the three posts above.

As far as I'm concerned, you can judge NOTHING from even hearing a song in its entirety four or five times. It's taken me two to three years to 'get' certain bands or albums.

I hope no-one writes it off on account of these samples and then doesn't listen to the album at all :noey:.

US is going to get very heavy according to Chris, and you can't really predict that in the clip we got (I was disappointed with that clip, but I KNOW it will change, so I'm not going to judge the whole song on that clip)

I guess I'm lucky that I love the direction Muse are going i.e funky, electro, symphonic rock-ness etc.

Reserve judgement until the whole album has leaked/ when the album's out peeps.

Bonus pants, I'd have to agree with you fully.

Thus far The Resistance looks grim. Even songs I held out hope for like unnatural selection and MK ultra aren't sounding fantastic. They've gone in a completely new poppy direction, why weren't more of the songs classically influenced rather than just exogenesis? The reason I ask is because so far exogenesis part 1 and 2 completely obliterate the rest of the sample songs... Exogenesis has all the spark of the muse I used to know and love, frankly would've preferred a 50minute classical/rock symphony and a couple disco B-sides. I hope when the full songs come out that they change my mind, but it's looking grim.

I have to agree but not entirely at the same level.

We don't know what bit of the songs we are listening to so who's to say all the stuff we love isn't going to be on the album somewhere? Imagine being given a 30sec clip of Knights of Cydonia and having to guess how the parts before and after were going to go - you'll be miles off!

I completely agree the new direction is a tad worrying as, although it isn't necessarily bad, it isn't why most of us like Muse.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment but I am very dubious nonetheless.

I love how people are judging people posting negative comments that they've only heard a glimpse of the songs and then follow with their own glorifying words of the songs.

It works both ways people. At least it has sparked opinions though.

i wont say anything in here before i have the album in my hands.

for the 30 second clips.. i love them and i hate them.

thank you, goodbye.

Why post anything then?

But it's just evil to give us these small clips. How are we supposed to wait another month?

I'll reserve judgement until I've heard the whole thing, but every time I hear them and this applies to the 30 sec clips, I'm hearing Queen. I'm even hearing the oh so distinctive Brian May guitar sound on one of them. We've even got a Seaside Rendezvous! (A track on A Night At the Opera for those who don't know.)

progression

1. the act of progressing; advancement

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/progression

So because its not the Origin of Symmetry? because its not Citizen Erased? Because they're not high on 'shrooms? and because they're exploring something new, something different and something that quite clearly has meaning in this day and age people feel the need to say "ITS NOT MUSE ANYMORE"

Am I getting this right?

Am I right in saying some people here are afraid of the change?

Surely listening to Muse, you would understand that change happens, that being stale and stagnant is a bad thing.

THATS WHY ITS CALLED PROGRESSIVE ROCK

There are elements of the completely and utterly over the top moments of genius that we know, love and almost expect from Muse on this album USoE(like, literally the entire song). So its not like they've even left their roots in that regard, they've expressed them in a different, PROGRESSIVE manner.

I mean, sure, the previous albums where great, Showbz was raw, OoS was over-the-top-take-this-music-industry, Absolution then heralded the darker, more introspective side of the band, with an apocalyptic theme and the fully blown..I'll say exposure...of the whole absolute power corrupts absolute coming through. BHaR was the continuation of this, and from the 2nd half of the album was seemingly about the crumbling society that we live in, and a desperate plea for someone to do something about it.

So, Showbiz is about girls breaking his heart, and that being a celebrity is tough. OoS has the first hints at corruption within powers(Megalomania) and if you take the 1984 approach, Citizen Erased, and I've already explained Absolution and BHaR

Notice a theme from one album to the next. Ohh whats the word........

Everyone say it with

PROGRESSION

They've taken a set of ideas lyrically and progressed with them lyrically.

They could've just used the same instrumental arrangements as they did in OoS(seems to be the yardstick people are using to bash Muse of late), but they haven't. Instrumentally, they progressed.

Didn't hear any whining about it the first 3 times, and its only with the increased commercial exposure that BHaR has received that people have decided to cut it down.

[/rant]

progression

1. the act of progressing; advancement

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/progression

So because its not the Origin of Symmetry? because its not Citizen Erased? Because they're not high on 'shrooms? and because they're exploring something new, something different and something that quite clearly has meaning in this day and age people feel the need to say "ITS NOT MUSE ANYMORE"

Am I getting this right?

Am I right in saying some people here are afraid of the change?

Surely listening to Muse, you would understand that change happens, that being stale and stagnant is a bad thing.

THATS WHY ITS CALLED PROGRESSIVE ROCK

There are elements of the completely and utterly over the top moments of genius that we know, love and almost expect from Muse on this album USoE(like, literally the entire song). So its not like they've even left their roots in that regard, they've expressed them in a different, PROGRESSIVE manner.

I mean, sure, the previous albums where great, Showbz was raw, OoS was over-the-top-take-this-music-industry, Absolution then heralded the darker, more introspective side of the band, with an apocalyptic theme and the fully blown..I'll say exposure...of the whole absolute power corrupts absolute coming through. BHaR was the continuation of this, and from the 2nd half of the album was seemingly about the crumbling society that we live in, and a desperate plea for someone to do something about it.

So, Showbiz is about girls breaking his heart, and that being a celebrity is tough. OoS has the first hints at corruption within powers(Megalomania) and if you take the 1984 approach, Citizen Erased, and I've already explained Absolution and BHaR

Notice a theme from one album to the next. Ohh whats the word........

Everyone say it with

PROGRESSION

They've taken a set of ideas lyrically and progressed with them lyrically.

They could've just used the same instrumental arrangements as they did in OoS(seems to be the yardstick people are using to bash Muse of late), but they haven't. Instrumentally, they progressed.

Didn't hear any whining about it the first 3 times, and its only with the increased commercial exposure that BHaR has received that people have decided to cut it down.

[/rant]

Muse isn't progressive rock.

[/fail]

Archived