Best Album

Meisver

TR is my favorite for many reasons. Every song is unique and memorable, the scope of the music is incredibly ambitious, the musicianship is top notch, the songwriting tends to be superb, the lyrics are interesting without being too serious or cringey, the production is some of Muse's absolute best as it creates a beautiful and symphonic soundscape across the entire album, and it was the first Muse album I ever heard and the one that got me into them.

Otherwise I don't think my ranking is terribly abnormal, bar Drones at number three. What can I say, I'm a sucker for hard rocking fun.

Every song is unique and memorable, [...] , the songwriting tends to be superb, the lyrics are interesting without being too serious or cringey

Can I have a copy of whatever version of The Resistance you're listening to? I've still never been more disappointed by an album I was excited for.

The variable here ain't the music, it's the listener.

Well, yes, indeed, and I'm glad you like it so much. I suspect the biggest factor in there is the point at the end that it was the first Muse album I ever heard and the one that got me into them though. Apart from MK-Ultra and Exogenesis, I find most of it rather forgettable unfortunately. Or fortunately in the case of I Belong To You and a few others. It was a disappointing album for me.

The word ‘album’ changes things for me. As people have said, OoS has the best songs, but Absolution is Muse’s most complete ‘album’ for me, i.e. a group of songs that work together as a collective and even become greater than the sum of its parts.

That said, OoS would probably still get #1 for me if it wasn’t for Feeling Good.

Absolution - 9.2

Origin Of Symmetry - 9

It’s hard to rank the rest as ‘albums’ for me as they all have flaws that are significant detractors to the concept of an album. In many ways, the next best album for me in actually Drones.

One thing is for sure though - T2L is by far the worst.

The word ‘album’ changes things for me. As people have said, OoS has the best songs, but Absolution is Muse’s most complete ‘album’ for me, i.e. a group of songs that work together as a collective and even become greater than the sum of its parts.

That said, OoS would probably still get #1 for me if it wasn’t for Feeling Good.

Absolution - 9.2

Origin Of Symmetry - 9

It’s hard to rank the rest as ‘albums’ for me as they all have flaws that are significant detractors to the concept of an album. In many ways, the next best album for me in actually Drones.

One thing is for sure though - T2L is by far the worst.

Agreed. Even if I think T2L has a better collection of songs than Drones or The Resistance as an album it is just awful. BHaR has serious flaws as well.

To me it's:

1) Origin Of Symmetry - you already said everything about it, but I actually like Feeling Good too, I just got bored of it.

2) (but pretty close) Black Holes and Revelations - I can see where the flaws are and I used to agree, but twelve years later I really started to love it, I don't know why. Pop tracks ain't too cringy and the whole thing has some kind of strong imaginary that really helps keeping the songs together.

3) Showbiz - I'm into emotional music, I love raw and heartfelt stuff

4) Absolution - I used to rank it with OOS as their best, but listening back some days ago I really think it doesn't work well as an album. Most of the songs are great, but sounds like a collection of singles and their relative b-sides to me.

5) Drones - Dead Inside weirdly became one of my favorite songs by Muse. I still get back to that one and to The Handler really often. I like some other song to, but in a way that's like "oh, well, it could've got worse I guess". Sounds bad (how could someone possibly think that hiring AC/DC producer in 2014/2015 was a good idea?). Shitty lyrics. But as a whole, it actually works.

6) The 2nd Law - Actually, this and Drones are interchangeable. I remember getting really pumped by Survival when it came out and I hoped the album would've been something along those lines. It wasn't. It has some great moments on it, but it actually got worse in others. The problem is: it's lazy.

7) The Resistance - booooring. Hate the title track so fucking much it ruins my whole listening experience.

Edited by vixi

the songwriting tends to be superb, the lyrics are interesting without being too serious or cringey

“they’ll try to push drugs to keep us all dumbed down”

“it’s time the fat cats had a heart attack”

“she attacks me like a Leo, when my heart is split like Rio”

“the sunshine trapped in our hearts, it could rise again”

“it could be wrong, could be wrong but it should’ve been right, it could be wrong, could be wrong to let our hearts ignite”

“is there a hope that the facts would ever find us? just make sure that you are looking out for number one”

TR is where Matt’s political cringe started to take centre stage and his lyrics nosedive into what we know now. It reads like a 13 year-old who’s spent too many late nights watching YT conspiracy videos, then comments vague psuedo-woke shit on Facebook with an Anonymous profile pic.

Really loving Exogenesis I do love that "symphonic soundscape" even if the songs themselves aren't the most worthy of their symphony titles. But if more of the album had been like that I would have ranked it higher for sure.

As much as I’m not a fan of Exo as one whole ‘symphony’/piece, the idea of actually going all out with it and stretching that idea out to fill an entire symphonic space rock concept album is exciting ngl. Back then at least, not so much now.

I'd blissfully forgotten about that line! Fucking hell. :LOL:

His twitter explanation back when it came out is something I often remember fondly as well

“Rio’s pretty divided, Leo the star sign.”

Thanks, Matt.

Is a good line

:phu:

if youre like 12 and just heard killing in the name for the first time

“they’ll try to push drugs to keep us all dumbed down”

“it’s time the fat cats had a heart attack”

“the sunshine trapped in our hearts, it could rise again”

“it could be wrong, could be wrong but it should’ve been right, it could be wrong, could be wrong to let our hearts ignite”

“is there a hope that the facts would ever find us? just make sure that you are looking out for number one”

TR is where Matt’s political cringe started to take centre stage and his lyrics nosedive into what we know now. It reads like a 13 year-old who’s spent too many late nights watching YT conspiracy videos, then comments vague psuedo-woke shit on Facebook with an Anonymous profile pic.

As much as I’m not a fan of Exo as one whole ‘symphony’/piece, the idea of actually going all out with it and stretching that idea out to fill an entire symphonic space rock concept album is exciting ngl. Back then at least, not so much now.

Only lines there I've ever really thought inhibited my enjoyment of the track are:

and

And honestly, I still sing along to both of those without thinking about it when I'm singing along to the album. Matt's delivery justifies pretty much anything he sings on TR for me. I may not know what he's talking about, I may not agree with what he's saying, and he may be saying things that a 12-year-old sci-fi nerd would say right after reading 1984 for the first time...but the way he says it is golden to me. Passionate delivery for passionate music.

I wonder how native speakers of English deal with the lyrics sometimes. :LOL: As a non-native speaker I find it easy to just ignore how bad certain lines sound (not the Rio one though), so maybe that makes Muse more easily enjoyable for us.

I wonder how native speakers of English deal with the lyrics sometimes. :LOL: As a non-native speaker I find it easy to just ignore how bad certain lines sound (not the Rio one though), so maybe that makes Muse more easily enjoyable for us.

日本人ですか?

I wonder how many Japanese and Korean songs I'm understanding while blissfully ignorant of the lyrics. I like Dir en grey a lot but apparently their lyrics are very divisive.

I've grown to really like them as songs. Redemption too is a very emotional piece on what is a rather cold album. But I wouldn't want the entire album like that since there was some cool stuff like Undisclosed I'd still want them to explore.

日本人ですか?

I wonder how many Japanese and Korean songs I'm understanding while blissfully ignorant of the lyrics. I like Dir en grey a lot but apparently their lyrics are very divisive.

I'm not. I just study in Tokyo, sorry to disappoint you. :p

Add to the list of people I know who have been to Japan, which is somehow longer than the amount of people I know that haven't.

Random off topic but I just need to share how strange that is.

The first half of Origin is their most cohesive work yet and the rest isn't half bad either.