Dig Down

KirkBot

I genuinely think that this is the worst thing they have ever done.

Im with you terrible

How long have they had to think about change of direction,creative route or just a step

Oh dear I fear a slippery decline

I was looking at Matt wearing silly glasses and was looking forward to something peppy and fun like Panic Station. I don't expect them to churn out OOS-era symphonic new prog any more. But it's just so dull. It's not even very bad. Just dull and done twice over already.

I was looking at Matt wearing silly glasses and was looking forward to something peppy and fun like Panic Station. I don't expect them to churn out OOS-era symphonic new prog any more. But it's just so dull. It's not even very bad. Just dull and done twice over already.

I was definitely hoping for a Panic Station-y type of fun upbeat song.

Heh, so I'll be the optimistic fellow and I'll say that I really like it. More or less what I've expected, true. But that doesn't make it bad. Still, I'm among the part of the fandom who loved Madness or DI, and I think this song builds over that. I still think that it sounds different though. Like, darker.

Edited by topo_musero

God this sucks.

I'm not against Muse doing a gospel-inspired song in principle, but they've done nothing with it. When a song's this relatively minimalist, all the parts have got to be on point but here, the lyrics, chords and vocal melodies are all bland and heard-it-before. Genuinely lazy and completely unoriginal, nods to Madness and all.

Plus, Matt's vocals are way too high in the mix.

And this is apparently on the next album? Honestly never been this disappointed by Muse. :(

It's pretty much a joke song, like NKOK. Joke songs by normally non-comedic bands just don't usually have much staying power.

It's... not though? The video is, sure, but it's one of the tightest songs Muse have written since BHaR

Panic Station is a good song showing that the band doesn't take themselves too seriously.

Dig Down is a bad song from a band (singer) that sounds like they take themselves way to seriously.

Thats a really fair summing up. Matt now takes himself WAAYYY too seriously.

I always wonder how Chris feels with all this. I always get the feeling that he's just going with the flow and not really enjoying it as much.

It's... not though? The video is, sure, but it's one of the tightest songs Muse have written since BHaR

It can be tight and still pretty much a joke though. Matt's screams and "ugh"s, the slap bass, the silly lyrics...I don't really see what separates it to something like NKOK, other than the fact that it had a bit more care put into it.

I always wonder how Chris feels with all this. I always get the feeling that he's just going with the flow and not really enjoying it as much.

Nah, he definitely still looks like he's enjoying himself to me. He's a lovely dude in general but I feel like he's been practically beaming a lot of the time over the last 5 years. I think you can tell he enjoys playing the older stuff more but he's always shown a bit of a penchant for that iirc.

Out of all three of them, Chris is the one I'd be least worried about feeling jaded or just going along with it.

Tbf I'd be up for Panic Station being around more. Fairly simple and pretty fun, and I'd prefer it to Madness. Wasn't as fun live though - I remember at the Emirates Stadium where it got a fairly alright reception, but either side were SMBH and Bliss, which got much better and more rowdy reactions.

It's just awful. For years, whenever Muse release something new I think "Maybe, this time it is something with substance" – don't know how many times I got disappointed. I think it all started with BH&R. But compared to anything they released in the last time their works from ten years ago are masterpieces.

"Dig Down" just sounds so cheap and uninspired, even "Drones" had its moments (although overall I think, "Drones" is damn cheesy).

It can be tight and still pretty much a joke though. Matt's screams and "ugh"s, the slap bass, the silly lyrics...I don't really see what separates it to something like NKOK, other than the fact that it had a bit more care put into it.

Honestly, the only bits of your evidence for its "jokiness" that stand up to any real rigour are the screams; maybe the ughs. Matt, as a lyricist, is bloody hopeless, and the slap bass is just a good fit for a sort of funk aligned song. Not being four to the floor rock =/= being a joke song