How so? I have never heard anyone not like the album so this is very interesting!

Well, when I first heard the studio version of The Way You Used To, I thought the production was "strange", too. To me, it sounded too quiet, "squashed", and not properly beefy, in comparison to ...Like Clockwork or other past albums like SFTD or Rated R.

My bad, you're right, it's only about 1/4th of their life as a band :)

You told it: only a quarter of their carrier. Which seems so much because we have to wait a remarkable amount of time between albums now. ;)

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Villains was a massive disappointment and Kendrick is king.

If you type Kendrick Lamar generic into google, the autocorrect changes it to Kendrick Lamar genius - that should tell you enough!

I kinda live in my own musical bubble so I've not really heard much Kendrick Lamar, or at least without turning on something the songs are soundtracking. Kind of a bad habit to disappear to some degree tbf. What I heard on Black Panther was decent, mind, although I preferred the African percussion score to the more rap-oriented tracks in that film. But hey. All opinions. :chuckle:

What I've heard of Villains is decent, but I do agree its over-produced.

Seems a bit early to set a release date if the album's not even half done, surely? Are we sure that's not just speculative?

Last 3 albums' dates were all announced 3 months before release.

Edit: also, why would you send a promo package out to DJ’s with just ‘yeah, album’s out some time in November’? like, no specific date, no title, no artwork, no single or tour attached to the announcement? just seems weird to me. or did he imply that he had more info but only revealed that it said november?

Edited by Jobby

They wanted to complete it during summer, iirc.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying they can’t have it ready by then. Just that it seems a bit early to actually set a release date, and send out such a loose one for DJ’s to promote.

Though, in that Chris Moyles interview, Matt did seem to imply or say that they only had around half the songs so far iirc. So to write and record another 5/6, finish mixing and mastering, choose artwork, book and organise an apparently huge tour, leave time for promo etc. in 8 months...it’d be a pretty quick turnaround.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying they can’t have it ready by then. Just that it seems a bit early to actually set a release date, and send out such a loose one for DJ’s to promote.

Though, in that Chris Moyles interview, Matt did seem to imply or say that they only had around half the songs so far iirc. So to write and record another 5/6, finish mixing and mastering, choose artwork, book and organise an apparently huge tour, leave time for promo etc. in 8 months...it’d be a pretty quick turnaround.

I feel they're already planning everything right now, but they're obviously trying not to disclose too much during interviews before the complete album gets released.

They certainly have nearly all the songs ready; ready to be recorded and produced during the last sessions, I mean.

I thought it odd, but Greg James referenced his reading of the presser and defo said November dnd album. Odd that Muse would do that but wwe’re over a month down the line from the original release interviews, many which were pre-recorded.

New presser for the song’s inclusion on the bbc playlist but a badly highlighted embargo?

Literally been foaming at the mouth for Algorithm since you lot told me about it. Hearing some Endlessly / IBTY / Shine Acoustic cross in my head and it’s fucking lusssssh.

Yes, I do love setting myself up for disappointment, why do you ask?

I feel they're already planning everything right now, but they're obviously trying not to disclose too much during interviews before the complete album gets released.

They certainly have nearly all the songs ready; ready to be recorded and produced during the last sessions, I mean.

What makes you think they have nearly all the songs ready?

Literally been foaming at the mouth for Algorithm since you lot told me about it. Hearing some Endlessly / IBTY / Shine Acoustic cross in my head and it’s fucking lusssssh.

Yes, I do love setting myself up for disappointment, why do you ask?

What makes you think they have nearly all the songs ready?

Because if their target is to complete it during summer/early fall and release it in late 2018/early 2019, there's no way they could rush writing all of them.

When I say they've got them ready, I rather mean they may already written down main ideas to be developped in studio with some guidelines.

Another reason that gets me hyped for Algorythm is pretty much that it's going to be their first proper piano-driven track since T2L.

Dude calm down, it's just a (most likely terrible) song

Innit, more likely to be Explorers w/ the Big Freeze instrumental synths but still, nice to hear about a song that has it’s own direction, as opposed to ‘it’s _____ 2’ or ‘x genre’.

Another reason that gets me hyped for Algorythm is pretty much that it's going to be their first proper piano-driven track since T2L.

Yeah but Explorers was v bad so, really, it’s their first piano-driven track since TR.

Innit, more likely to be Explorers w/ the Big Freeze instrumental synths but still, nice to hear about a song that has it’s own direction, as opposed to ‘it’s _____ 2’ or ‘x genre’.

Yeah but Explorers was v bad so, really, it’s their first piano-driven track since TR.

D'aww, poor Explorers... :(.

I may agree the lyrics aren't that fancy or subtle, but musically speaking I think it has a lot of charming elements. The harmonies, the lush strings, the glockenspiel doubling the piano that gives almost a "magical" atmosphere to it...

Besides, we still don't know how Algorythm is going to exactly sound like, so it's useless delivering judgements now.

I’m hoping Algorithm is dark and nothing like that boring lullaby crap Explorers that put crowds to sleep during the piano part of the stadium tour.

I’m hoping for Space Dementia meets Easily meets Undisclosed Desires. Fuck knows how that would turn out but hopefully good.

Would just be nice to have a decent recent piano driven song with some heart and nothing too cringe to say.

D'aww, poor Explorers... :(.

I may agree the lyrics aren't that fancy or subtle, but musically speaking I think it has a lot of charming elements.

I actually like the lyrics, and the fact that it's a lullaby about alien explorers being confused by earthly land ownership. I mean, that's definitely something that didn't exist before.

Musically it bores me though. It's missing some tension or something. Maybe because he changed the original Rachmaninoff theme he 'borrowed' to C major.

It's just Algorithm, "between" is just a part of his sentence. Matt talked about it last month or maybe even earlier this month.I think it was the piano driven song with the almost 8-bit sounding synths or something like that.

EDIT: Musewiki delivers: "Algorithm: Name of the song Matt mentioned while speaking with Matt Wilkinson on Beats 1 Radio on February 16th, 2018. According to Matt the song blends a bit of classical romantic piano with 80s synths/computer game music."