Kendrick Lamar is praised by huge rappers and long-time rap fans alike. But I guess you see through all of that and can tell that it's just random beats and typical rap lyrics. Although to be honest I don't doubt that that's what you hear when you listen to a song like Institutionalized.

And no, mainstream music isn't game changing. That's not really how it works. And it's not really a realistic expectation to have on music. Especially not as an Arctic Monkeys fan.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree as we going way off topic haha

wtf is Between Algorithm
It's just Algorithm, "between" is just a part of his sentence. Matt talked about it last month or maybe even earlier this month.I think it was the piano driven song with the almost 8-bit sounding synths or something like that.

EDIT: Musewiki delivers: "Algorithm: Name of the song Matt mentioned while speaking with Matt Wilkinson on Beats 1 Radio on February 16th, 2018. According to Matt the song blends a bit of classical romantic piano with 80s synths/computer game music."

According to Matt the song blends a bit of classical romantic piano with 80s synths/computer game music."

Oof, ngl that tickles me a wee bit. At least I’ve got something to look forward to about LP8 now :chuckle:

(thx bbz <3)

Because what’s become mainstream nowadays is generally quite generic? It’s not like popular music right now is particularly imaginative or gamechanging.

I found it boring because it was so damn generic. It’s just a seemingly random beat (like the stuff Kanye fooled around with on Yeezus) every damn time and the same typical rap lyrics thrown onto the beat...delivered almost spoken word by a man who has no real fire or anything interesting or unique about his vocal delivery.

People saying the guy is the greatest clearly never listened to decent rap music.

Are you LiT?

Muse should just be looking to keep the existing fan base onside.... :/

Everyone focused on the other comments but I'd agree in wanting the band to just settle instead of continuing this mainstream appeal attempts. They seem happier when they just let loose. Even for music The 2nd Law did not age well here but we look back on the era fondly because they had fun and it showed.

Everyone focused on the other comments but I'd agree in wanting the band to just settle instead of continuing this mainstream appeal attempts. They seem happier when they just let loose.

That's nice and everything, but there's a big, big problem about that: people would still complain they churn the same grog over and over. It might be a cliché statement, but I assure you it would be just like that, and I bet those poor three chaps would get tire soon of not attempting to do something different, even if it's just for fun. That means they would even go out with a feeble fart. I'd rather have them making a bad experiment while trying something new because they want to, than making the same album all over again to fulfill the whiny wishes of an exclusive group of people, thanks.

Also, aren't they having fun now? It seems to me they're pretty happy with what they're currently doing. Whether we may like it or not, that's another matter, of course.

I never said pander, I said have fun and stop trying to be popular. The 2nd Law was wild experiments in their modern sense that didn't blow anyone away but it was still a good era.

Lately there's been a growing divide between the fan shows and then big shows, and they want to go even further with that. Is that not pandering?

I am incredibly late, but the only album from Kendrick I could see being called generic is DAMN. If you can listen through good kid and to pimp a butterfly and think what he accomplished with the overall stories presented there is generic, I uh don't trust your rap taste. For individual songs, Sing About Me, Mortal Man, etc. are example enough

That's nice and everything, but there's a big, big problem about that: people would still complain they churn the same grog over and over. It might be a cliché statement, but I assure you it would be just like that, and I bet those poor three chaps would get tire soon of not attempting to do something different, even if it's just for fun. That means they would even go out with a feeble fart. I'd rather have them making a bad experiment while trying something new because they want to, than making the same album all over again to fulfill the whiny wishes of an exclusive group of people, thanks.

Also, aren't they having fun now? It seems to me they're pretty happy with what they're currently doing. Whether we may like it or not, that's another matter, of course.

Maybe they're happy with the music they're making, but it's hard not to look at videos of the last arena tour and compare them to ones from the small gigs, or even ones from the T2L tour, and not feel like the band looks super bored in comparison.

I posted some videos from my 2012 MotP and my 2016 MotP and the differences were pretty shocking. (If interested in YTing, the first in Minneapolis, the latter in Philly or DC.)

As for people complaining no matter what they put out, that's not really a foregone conclusion.

There's plenty of bands that have stuck close to their formula for decades and still retain tons of happy fans. Muse's obstacle with that is they've already deviated enough to really alienate people, and it's hard to win them back.

On the other hand, look at a band like AFI. This is a band that's changed in a massive, massive way over the years (and at one point rather abruptly) with a big contingent of fans that will never warm up to the "new" music.

However, the band's gigs are loaded with those old fans because the band still plays super old, deep tracks. Muse could easily have done something like that to retain fans; just make it worth people's while to show up and see some bizarre old song.

I ne
Everyone focused on the other comments but I'd agree in wanting the band to just settle instead of continuing this mainstream appeal attempts. They seem happier when they just let loose. Even for music The 2nd Law did not age well here but we look back on the era fondly because they had fun and it showed.

ver said pander, I said have fun and stop trying to be popular. The 2nd Law was wild experiments in their modern sense that didn't blow anyone away but it was still a good era.

Lately there's been a growing divide between the fan shows and then big shows, and they want to go even further with that. Is that not pandering?

Basically the point I’ve been trying to make but I kept getting drawn into a Kendrick debate I’m not interested in having! Shouldn’t have bothered to drop names haha

If Muse want to go pop/electronic rock/synths etc why the hell haven’t they got in touch with Mark Ronson?

QOTSA just made an amazing album with him in Villains and perhaps Muse could benefit from a producer who actually understands this genre and could make some really decent sounding songs with them.

Have a feeling I’ll get slammed for this idea...

So pessimistic. :LOL:

Even if all the first three/four singles are duff, if they decide to settle on maximum amount of songs they claimed (12) for the , we'd still have 8/9 songs to look out to.

Between Algorythm being a piano-driven song, The Dark Side being the band's current favourite one, and the "Herrmann-like" strings mentioned in that IG post, I'm still looking forward to what they could do, "traditional song structures" or not.

We'll see. I think my pessimism is well earned, though.

If Muse want to go pop/electronic rock/synths etc why the hell haven’t they got in touch with Mark Ronson?

QOTSA just made an amazing album with him in Villains and perhaps Muse could benefit from a producer who actually understands this genre and could make some really decent sounding songs with them.

QOTSA made their worst album yet with Mark Ronson

anyway Muse's problem isn't the producer, it's the songwriting. Matt hasn't written a good song in ages.

Never say never. The album isn't completely finished yet, so they still could get in touch with him for at least one song.

anyway Muse's problem isn't the producer, it's the songwriting. Matt hasn't written a good song in ages.

PS, Animals, DI, Reapers and The Handler would like to have a word with you.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

QOTSA made their worst album yet with Mark Ronson

I’m sorry what? Villains was an absolute masterpiece and was probably album of the year 2017. I suggest you give it another listen or take the sound off mute ;)

Ronson took away most of the energy from the drums, that's just his style.

The album's still pretty good of course. But you're definitely the first I've seen to ever describe it "absolute masterpiece"

Actually that is a fair point! He did kind of butcher the drums a bit. Whereas Like Clockwork has some amazing drum work.

Have you heard Villains live though? It sounds great! I guess I’m pretty bias as I absolutely loved Like Clockwork and I love the dark electronic rock sound they have on Villains. Plus lyrically I adore it.

Each to their own but to me I think it’s amazing :)