Let's just put it like this: Muse did dubstep a year after Korn did it.

And for everyone who was a Muse fan back in 2012 it was obvious Muse came out with Unsustainable when everyone was already going "ugh everyone is doing dubstep these days".

Muse definitely did dubstep after it was "cool". They even did it a few months after everyone had been criticized for turning dubstep. The issue isn't how many years behind they were, they issue is that they keep following trends AFTER they've blown up. They're like that trope from tv-shows where someone tries to be cool by getting the latest toy that everyone else is playing with, but when he finally gets it, everyone has already moved on to something else.

Edited by Tjet

2012 was the year of dubstep m8 :LOL:

The first half of 2012 were the last 6 months of dubstep's mainstream popularity, which started in 2009.

Bangarang came out in the tail end of 2011 and was Skrillex' last popular dubstep/brostep (whatever) song.

T2L came out in the tail end of 2012. At that time, even post-dubstep was stale as a genre.

Also it was Muse's first album since 2009 so you can't really blame them for not writing a dubstep song before imo.

Yeah but I think that's kinda the point. If you decide to jump on a trend around the time it's peaking or actually starting to come down from it's peak, it's gonna be old news by the time you release it. Unless you make and release it straight away but obvs Muse have only just started dipping their toes into doing that.

Trap was cool?

Well, yes. The few dubstep fans I knew had moved on to trap by the time T2L came out. And by now every popular and hip hop artist have jumped on and off that bandwagon. I think riddim is what’s cool in the US now, and it covers/incorporates/is incorporated in both trap and dubstep. But i’ve lost track a bit because i’m not really into following discussions between white kids about the exact meaning of the Jamaican term they appropriated.

The way it cuts off at the end like it’s literally unfinished or was intended to lead into something else and almost mistakenly left like that remains one of the most baffling on-record Muse choices imo.

T2L, folks.

Pitchfork

*hisssss*

It's an average song aside from the fact that it was the first rap song by a female artist to hit number 1 since like the 90s, iirc. Pitchfork is quickly becoming the next Rolling Stone.

Honestly, I think Pitchfork is very preoccupied with being perceived as tastemakers. I get the impression that plays into their ratings of music more than the actual music at times.

Pitchfork is increasingly irrelevant, and I'm very glad of that. How they rose to a position of prestige amongst music review publications is beyond me.

I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that I listened to Absolution on good speakers last night and all it did (aside from confirming that I'm as in love with that album as ever) was make me grumpy about how there is a sizeable portion of Muse's fanbase that is now prepared to place post-2006 stuff on a par with it, and depressed about how these same guys ended up making T2L and DD/TC. Every time I listen to one of the Big 3 it makes me hate what came after them even more (except Exogenesis and a few songs off Drones).

Does anyone else get that? It's like watching Sherlock season 2, I can't ignore the knowledge in the back of my mind that the same people who wrote it also wrote season 4 and that it all ends up getting so appallingly shit (substitute with any other TV show or musical career that went extremely downhill)

I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that I listened to Absolution on good speakers last night and all it did (aside from confirming that I'm as in love with that album as ever) was make me grumpy about how there is a sizeable portion of Muse's fanbase that is now prepared to place post-2006 stuff on a par with it, and depressed about how these same guys ended up making T2L and DD/TC. Every time I listen to one of the Big 3 it makes me hate what came after them even more (except Exogenesis and a few songs off Drones).

I spent a week or so listening to the old albums (also Absolution in particular) when Thought Contagion came out just to remind myself how good they used to be, and it's made me realise how little I care about what they're doing anymore, unless the new album ends up being a massive surprise. I don't 'hate' their newer music, or at least most of it, but I find the two latest songs thoroughly uninspiring which is just as bad. Revisiting Absolution after that definitely rekindled my love for a lot of their older songs by comparison, so I'm with you there.

I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that I listened to Absolution on good speakers last night and all it did (aside from confirming that I'm as in love with that album as ever) was make me grumpy about how there is a sizeable portion of Muse's fanbase that is now prepared to place post-2006 stuff on a par with it

that’s a bit weird broski

that’s a bit weird broski

I know :( I think I spent too much time looking at online comments away from this board after those songs came out, even though I know that's a stupid thing to do...

Yeah, I wouldn't be angry or annoyed at people who think their new stuff is on par with their old. Good for them

It's entirely selfishly motivated :p I think it's because my gut reaction is the (almost certainly mistaken) belief that Muse get validation for the kind of shit they're putting out atm because of those people saying 'this is great!'. And if they went away, and the only people left were people going "no this is shit, you used to be able to write better stuff than this, this is so simplistic and shallow", then Muse would be forced to have a long hard think about their music, and then it would improve. (And then I'd be happier with the band, etc.)

(Whereas the reality is that they would never have that kind of introspection, and even if they did try to cater to 'old fans' in a new album, it would end up like Drones again)