nowhereamanda

Hello all,

The main focus of this thread is logistics of the speculated ‘Muse Rarities Tour’, an idea born out of Twitter after the Montreux Jazz Fest gig, and the possibility of voting for a few rare songs each show. Many of the fans are interested in a tour based on the B-sides and rarities of Muse’s discography, including tracks never played live or tracks that haven’t been played in many years. The hashtags #museraritiestour and #musebyrequest have been introduced to both Twitter and Instagram and have become somewhat of popular ideas amongst the fans, as well as the idea of voting to see more “deep cuts” live.

A “by request” club tour petition has already been started by Karen Grey, who got the idea of a smaller club tour to the band back in 2014/15. The petition has already gained a lot of support with over 200 signatures within the first few hours. She will be contacting larger media such as NME and Gigwise and eventually Muse management, as she did last time. The link for said petition is: https://www.change.org/p/muse-by-request-club-tour

After the Montreux gig, Matt also mentioned the possibility for fans to vote for setlists via polls, though he was unsure about how to make it available internationally and in a fair way.

If the rarities/club tour idea doesn't work out, it is possible that we set up a poll to decide a few songs we'd like to hear, rather than putting the band on the spot with signs like always. The set up for this would be that as each group of tour dates is announced on the website, there will be a poll with maybe 5 songs the BAND is comfortable playing and then fans will choose 1/2 they would want to hear. This would allow them to rehearse these songs and be comfortable with them beforehand as well as giving fans the older songs they've been asking for. Additionally, it prevents the casual listener from being alienated by a show with only 'rare' songs. This would mean we’d need to get in contact with the band and have polling options installed via the website, or have a complete ‘Muse poll’ website dedicated to it that the band can link people to.

****Please do remember that the goal is NOT to pressure the band into something they are uncomfortable with and if they decide against playing these songs, then it's their decision. They do not ‘owe’ us anything, so please keep messages to the guys positive and kind if you do mention it to them on social media with #museraritiestour****

Please comment any questions or concerns with these ideas, or even support. Let's shoot for the moon, we'll land somewhere amongst the stars. :)

Edited by nowhereamanda

Only supporting this if it's actually a tour and not another case of pandering to places that already get good shows, and a lot more shows than anywhere else.

Seconding this. I saw the petition earlier and signed it but I really hope this does something to benefit the places that never get *anything*, and not just the usual suspects that don't have much to complain about.

If the rarities/club tour idea doesn't work out, it is possible that we set up a poll to decide a few songs we'd like to hear, rather than putting the band on the spot with signs like always. The set up for this would be that as each group of tour dates is announced on the website, there will be a poll with maybe 5 songs the BAND is comfortable playing and then fans will choose 1/2 they would want to hear. This would allow them to rehearse these songs and be comfortable with them beforehand as well as giving fans the older songs they've been asking for.

That's a lot of logistics for a band that can't even make their tour announcements all at once or in an order that makes geographical sense. I mean, my goodness, on this tour, UK/Europe got months notice and the US got one month between announcement and the first dates -- which were announced like 3 per week for like 4 weeks in a row to screw over as many people as possible.

A poll like this was done 2 years ago with the intention of giving the results directly to Matt. While they were never given to him the results are still available. There was also something like this done last year do decide what hashtag to spam before the Drones tour.

Only supporting this if it's actually a tour and not another case of pandering to places that already get good shows, and a lot more shows than anywhere else.

I'm no tour manager but something like this would seem fair to me:

4 - UK (1 in Ireland, 1 in Scotland, 2 in England)

4 - US (2 on the west coast, 2 on the east coast)

2 - Australia

1 - France

1 - Italy

1 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Japan

?

There's absolutely no way to do this tour fairly, and it would just end up with nearly everyone passionate about it not getting to go.

4 gigs in two areas of the US wouldn't even begin to be enough, as we witnessed last time.

There's no way to prevent people getting tickets who have never heard the songs.

There's no way to make sure the hard cores get in and not the same people to all the gigs, or even people from other countries blocking you from local gigs.

It would be a mess again.

The band just needed to drop the weird ego issue and let their fans feel appreciated with one rare song a gig.

I'm no tour manager but something like this would seem fair to me:

4 - US (2 on the west coast, 2 on the east coast)

In fairness this is like saying two in Dublin, two in Moscow and saying it's fair for European fans.

Edit: Actually it seems London and Moscow is more comparable to NY and LA.

Edited by ryanp16

In fairness this is like saying two in Dublin, two in Moscow and saying it's fair for European fans.

I'd be shocked if they even took the rarities tour to even one show in the U.S. lol, hell I'll be shocked if they even do a rarities tour in general. I could see Matt seeing this thread and thinking oh god what did I get myself into lol

They just need to play a balanced, career spanning setlist (show Showbiz some love) and do 2 rarities a night (1 at festivals) for every gig, regardless of where it is in the world. It's another issue entirely but every gig should be no less than 20 songs, once again, regardless of location and capacity.

4 gigs in two areas of the US wouldn't even begin to be enough, as we witnessed last time.

Edit: Actually it seems London and Moscow is more comparable to NY and LA.

I think it's always gonna be hard sufficiently covering the US on a really small tour though unfortunately, which something like this would be. Maybe spread it out a bit more so that it's one on each coast and then two in between? My US geography ain't great so I won't even begin to suggest states :chuckle:

We're all thinking about this way too much :facepalm:or I am, at least

I think it's always gonna be hard sufficiently covering the US on a really small tour though unfortunately, which something like this would be. Maybe spread it out a bit more so that it's one on each coast and then two in between? My US geography ain't great so I won't even begin to suggest states :chuckle:

In a perfect world, they would pick NYC and Philadelphia so i drive 15 minutes to a philly show and take the train an hour to NYC, considering i could even get tickets. I'd say NYC would be a definite though if they did East coast, even though this is never going to happen lol

Many bands play 3k-4k venues on their own tour, and play EVERYwhere.

Like Iowa and South Dakota everywhere.

Muse could just stop pretending they're big enough to be an arena band here and do that.

This country is too big for this sort of tour to work and it would be more heartbreak.

And the UK got much better sets already, being selfish, and less of their geography got left out.

Is that not enough? From what I heard most people who wanted to get into Webster got in. The Mayan could have been the same. That was only 2 concerts. A few more with reasonably advanced announcements I think could accommodate a lot of people.

Yep, casual fans will get all the tickets. There will be tears :'(

I signed the petition earlier but I don't think a rarities tour is even really needed, just a little section of songs for us hardcore whingebags at each gig would be more than satisfactory.

As I've said in the other thread...

and in many others...

for years and years and years...

:D

Is that not enough? From what I heard most people who wanted to get into Webster got in. The Mayan could have been the same. That was only 2 concerts. A few more with reasonably advanced announcements I think could accommodate a lot of people.

Would this work?

New York, NY Bowery Ballroom

New York, NY Webster Hall

New York, NY Terminal 5

New York, NY Terminal 5

Chicago, IL Aragon Ballroom

Toronto, ON Molson Amphitheatre

Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Palladium

Los Angeles, CA Echoplex

Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theater

Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theater

Would this work?

New York, NY Terminal 5

New York, NY Terminal 5

Los Angeles, CA Echoplex

I don't see why they can't spread out the coastal venues or just play multiple nights at the same venue for consistency instead of bouncing around the city. But the number I think is OK.

Inevitable fact is that you're going to have a lot of people travelling in the US. It's the downside of having a giant country, cheaper gas, and subsequentially shitty public transit. Also that the big chunk in the middle is less populated and even less populated by Muse fans.

They do like Texas though so maybe a couple gigs around Texas.

Tbh, I think this is a stupid idea. It doesn't solve any of the actual beef which is the inequality between sets.

Yes, I'd love a random rarities tour. But I'd much rather be in a situation where I could hear something unexpected at a future Muse gig.

Would this work?

New York, NY Terminal 5

New York, NY Terminal 5

Los Angeles, CA Echoplex

Would be nice to have a single gig I wouldn't have to fly to. Take out one of those NY gigs and add DC at least. Or Atlanta.

Why am I even pondering this, it's not like anything like this is going to happen. :(

Tbh, I think this is a stupid idea. It doesn't solve any of the actual beef which is the inequality between sets.

Yes, I'd love a random rarities tour. But I'd much rather be in a situation where I could hear something unexpected at a future Muse gig.

This will sound ridiculous I'm sure, but I almost feel like it's cheating to get my rarities at a rarities gig. It's way more fun for them to be natural and consistent across all gigs.