Solo Albums: What do we Want?

This could happen in either direction, if they do this while Muse is still active, or if they break up (please no.) Would you be excited for solo albums? What do you think the members would do after Muse? I think Matt would do solo work, and maybe film scoring. Chris might do a harder rock album, and Dom would be a behind the scenes producer of weird electronic shit. What do you all think?

As an in-between main Muse albums I'd like Chris and Dom to do an album together. Or at least release an EP of studio recordings of the various drum and bass jams.

I'd be interested in some kind of DFA1979/Lightning Bolt project from them but, considering how similar almost all the jams are, a release of those or more of that would have the potential to be reeeally boring imo.

We really don't know how much Matt contributed to this, though. As Tjet said on another thread, that would be an interesting question to ask in an interview, but something tells me Matt wouldn't remember or whatever disappointing answer.

More generally I'd be super excited about a solo project by Matt; I'd give a listen to Dom and Chris but wouldn't care much.

Edited by Zepp

What's the point of a solo Matt album? That's practically what Muse is right now.

This is why I've never been big on solo albums from primary songwriters. You get mostly the same thing but without the contributions of the other band members.

I am, of course, sure there are exceptions to that.

I'd anticipate Matt's album. I think he'd be interested in doing something outside of the constraints of having to make songs for a band setup. I think he'd love to make a full dance or electronica album and that could be fun. Chris and Dom, meh, we'll see. Don't see Dom as much of an artist, he tends to bring technical reliability and a relaxed personality to the band more than that.

The only one I could really see doing a solo album is Matt. He'd probably recruit Dom and do a Coldplay-on-the-radio sort of thing, steeped in synth walls and pop harmonisation. Most Muse fans will hate it.

Chris has already given us a decent idea of what his solo work might sound like. Can't say I'm terribly excited to hear more.

They "don't work" because largely the fans of their band just go into it expecting something, and are disappointed.

Muse sort of manages to do this with their fans every album anyways, so they'd be at least in the same boat. :chuckle:

Matt's would be maybe interesting to see how much what he writes morphs once he presents it to Dom and Chris, or what he feels he needs to write "for" them. I'd be very interested, but he's likely to just get fat on the couch writing film scores instead.

Would like to draw attention to an interview with James Dean Bradfield from the Manics. He was asked what he learned from making a solo album. His reply was "not to do one" lol.

Also, see Thom Yorkes and Till Lindemanns recent solo albums. They just do not work.

I haven't actually listened to Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, but The Eraser (Yorke's first solo album) was pretty good. Damon Albarn and Mike Vennart have released good solo albums in the last couple of years too IMO. (although the latter being classed as a solo album is debatable as other members of Oceansize did contribute...)

Also, see Thom Yorkes and Till Lindemanns recent solo albums. They just do not work.

Two examples do not make a point.

Chris Corner, Markus Krunegård (unknown to this board but still), Thåström (same), Björk, Beyonce, Serj Tankian did well on his own, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Bernhoft,Phil Collins, Lou Reed, Gwen Stefani, Iggy Pop, Paul McCartney, Dallas Green, Eric Clapton. Michael Jackson for christ's sake. There are so many examples.

Chris Corner, Markus Krunegård (unknown to this board but still), Thåström (same), Björk, Beyonce, Serj Tankian did well on his own, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Bernhoft,Phil Collins, Lou Reed, Gwen Stefani, Iggy Pop, Paul McCartney, Dallas Green, Eric Clapton. Michael Jackson for christ's sake. There are so many examples.

80% of those are pretty dreadful imo :LOL:

a film score by Matt would be nice. Nothing else would really get me excited. I wasn't exactly amazed by what we've heard of Chris's songwriting so far and as for Dom I just can't see him doing anything really different from something like vicky cryer.

but since I think Muse themselves have pretty much become a huge meh/ew, I don't think their solo projects would be any better.

Change from 2 examples to 13. Thanks for the help Tjet :p

Would not mind Matt doing a film soundtrack. Anything else, not too sure.

80% of those are pretty dreadful imo :LOL:

a film score by Matt would be nice. Nothing else would really get me excited. I wasn't exactly amazed by what we've heard of Chris's songwriting so far and as for Dom I just can't see him doing anything really different from something like vicky cryer.

but since I think Muse themselves have pretty much become a huge meh/ew, I don't think their solo projects would be any better.

and you love the music of the bands/groups they belonged to, yeah? We're obviously talking success.

I haven't actually listened to Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, but The Eraser (Yorke's first solo album) was pretty good. Damon Albarn and Mike Vennart have released good solo albums in the last couple of years too IMO. (although the latter being classed as a solo album is debatable as other members of Oceansize did contribute...)

If you like Eraser, you would probably like TMBs. Just not a big fan of the electronica Yorke does.