Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

I still enjoy the album in regular basis, after all this time maybe Handler takes the 1# place over Globalist, but i'm can't get tired of listening these two, Psycho, Reapers, Defector and Drones.

Agree with this mostly, but I'd swap drones for dead inside:) Maybe I'll binge out on the album again, then see if my views have changed.

Been meaning to do this for awhile:

Dead Inside:

Of all the songs on the album, this one has changed the most for me. I hated this song the first time I heard it - thought it was the bastard step-child of Undisclosed Desires (first half) and Madness (outro). Now I realize DI is what those songs should have been. I guess third time is a charm. I don't love it but I do really enjoy it now.

Original Rating: 4/10 --- Now: 7/10

DS > Psycho:

Studio version drags, and could have been so much more than it is. That said, the live versions are beefy and fun.

Original Rating: 4/10 --- Now: 5/10

Mercy:

This song is the opposite of DI for me - I loved it when it first came out (I'm a sucker for Starlight) and pretty soon realized this song just sucks. Even live it does nothing for me.

Original Rating: 7/10 --- Now: 3/10

Reapers:

Loved this song when I heard the first live versions. Loved it even more when the studio version came out. This song is just so effing good. Studio or live it doesn't matter - this song is a beast. Easily my favorite from Drones and has only further cemented its place as time has gone on.

Original Rating: 8.5/10 --- Now: 9.5/10

Handler:

Obviously the most old-school Muse song on the album and I've always loved it. That said, it has dropped off a bit for me. First, the solo seciton just doesn't go anywhere, and even though I've always known that, after a year it has just gotten really boring - I skip over it and go right to the kick ass outro. Second, they just can't seem to nail this one live. The Drones Tour performances have been pretty bad. Best version I've heard ais the Cologne one, but it's not as strong as it should be.

Original Rating: 8/10 --- Now: 7.5/10

JFK > Defector:

Like Psycho, Defector sould have been a better song as all the elements are there - beefy riff, good vocals, good solo - but the finished product somehow came out bland.

Original Rating: 6.5/10 --- Now: 4/10

Revolt:

The first time I heard this all I could think was "what the fuck was that?" Awful. Just awful. I literally have never listened to it again. No joke.

Original Rating: 1/10 --- Now: 0/10

Aftermath:

I really liked/like the first 2 minutes, but then the horrendous over-emotional/country/christian "from this moment" section kicks in and the song drives off a cliff. Great opening, awful ending - I never lsiten past the 2 minute mark.

Original Rating: 2/10 --- Now 1/10 [Nothing can be as bad as Revolt]

Globalist:

Such a huge disappointment. I tried so hard to like the "prog-rock nightmare" but I just can't. Structurally it's a mess and musically it's just so...boring.

Original Rating: 7/10 --- Now: 4/10

Drones:

I really liked this at first and still do - Matt's vocals are fantastic. I always love when Muse tries new generes and this is about as out-of-left-field as you can get. But something always bothered me that I couldn't put my finger on, until I remembered a review I heard for Unsustainable. In that review, the guy took issue with the song not because Muse were trying dub-step [he, like I, actually loved the idea]. Rather, his problem was that the dub-step sounded like dub-step - not Muse. He didn't like it because Muse didn't find a way to make dub-step their own. That's how I feel about Drones - I love the Palestrina nature of the song, but what's ultimately disappointing is that this is a Palestrina song, not a Muse song.

Original Rating: 7.5/10 --- Now: 5/10

As I suspected form the beginning, the Drones album wouldn't age well with me. At this point, I only listen to a few songs regularly: Reapers (nearly every day - did I mention how awesome this song is?), Handler & Dead Inside occasionally, and a live versions of Psycho only when I'm working out. The rest are pretty worthless.

Original Album Rating: 5/10 --- Now: 3/10

I still consider rating art (in this case music) with exact numbers a barbarian act. You can like or dislake a piece of art, but is not a math test to give it a value 4.25, for example.

I know is the system used in music magazines, but that people are lazy and idiotic bastards. Fuck NME and fuck Rolling Stone.

• 3 weeks later...
I still consider rating art (in this case music) with exact numbers a barbarian act. You can like or dislake a piece of art, but is not a math test to give it a value 4.25, for example.

I know is the system used in music magazines, but that people are lazy and idiotic bastards. Fuck NME and fuck Rolling Stone.

Well in fairness there are critics who use a numbered rating system and justify it. It works when it is used as tier system; 1 is bad, 2 is mediocre, 3 is good, 4 is great, etc. The idea that you can quantify something with decimals seems so weird to me though.

I was just listening to Black Sabbath's Children of the Grave and i was thinking how much i'd love Matt to write smart lyrics like these. He had a great opportunity in this album.

Matt hasn't written smart lyrics in a very long time.