Do you like Revolt?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Revolt?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No. It's so Revolting!

Nope. Sadly when I mention Muse here in the states half of the people won't know them, a quarter will probably remember them from Twilight (ugh) or from Guitar Hero (this is why I love guitar hero), and the other quarter will know them from their couple of actual hits: Uprising and Madness (and maybe Dead Inside if it picks up just a bit more speed). All of those numbers taken approximately, this leaves a rather small percentage of people I mention Muse to who not only know the hits, but know the other (often better) stuff as well. When Drones hit number 1 for a week on the Billboard 200, I was insanely happy and surprised, especially considering DI has only received about as much airplay as PS did a couple years ago rather than the amount that Madness and Uprising got and continue to get.

Yeah, I thought Uprising hit #1 in the US too.

Uprising briefly hit #2 on the Rock charts in the US, but wasn't as successful as Madness.

We compartmentalize our charts and radio stations to such a ridiculous degree that a song can be #1 on one of the charts (like alternative, etc) and not even be played on a major market radio station in some regions.

It's not really it's still the most horrible chorus Muse have ever done

What do you class as the chorus? "You've got strength" etc, or "you can revolt"? I really love the latter

Edited by LewisF

Nope. Sadly when I mention Muse here in the states half of the people won't know them, a quarter will probably remember them from Twilight (ugh) or from Guitar Hero (this is why I love guitar hero), and the other quarter will know them from their couple of actual hits: Uprising and Madness (and maybe Dead Inside if it picks up just a bit more speed). All of those numbers taken approximately, this leaves a rather small percentage of people I mention Muse to who not only know the hits, but know the other (often better) stuff as well. When Drones hit number 1 for a week on the Billboard 200, I was insanely happy and surprised, especially considering DI has only received about as much airplay as PS did a couple years ago rather than the amount that Madness and Uprising got and continue to get.

I remember getting into a discussion with someone on here a small while back who said that Muse hits are bigger in America, because I said that most people here only know a couple of songs and Uprising is the most popular, to which they said that Muse's hits are more popular over there and Madness is known by many.

Everyone's heard of Muse that I know. It's like Arctic Monkeys. I grew up with them being quite big and popular, but found that it's actually more a British thing because whenever they're brought up on the Internet people have no idea who they are.

I remember getting into a discussion with someone on here a small while back who said that Muse hits are bigger in America, because I said that most people here only know a couple of songs and Uprising is the most popular, to which they said that Muse's hits are more popular over there and Madness is known by many.

Everyone's heard of Muse that I know. It's like Arctic Monkeys. I grew up with them being quite big and popular, but found that it's actually more a British thing because whenever they're brought up on the Internet people have no idea who they are.

I'd say an European thing, everyone knows Muse in Italy too. And I guess in places like Germany and France it's the same.

:eek: How? I mean, I can imagine a few disliking them, but many despising them?

I am surprised that you're surprised about that (sorry for the joke)... But yeah, I think it's like in USA: lots of people love them (like me), but there also are many "snob" listeners and experts who cathegorically turn them down.

EDIT: Now that I've read my post above, I've realised that in fact "despise" is a really strong term to use... I suppose I've used that to get to the point more dramatically.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

The hits got pretty big, but not big enough to make Muse a household name.

Whomever posted that Defector is a worse song... I agree. To me, Defector is what Revolt is to many people in this thread: I don't really love it, although it's become kinda catchy.

Revolt, though - man, I really do love that song. I don't care if the band intended for it to be cheesy or "jokey" as some have said. I don't expect deep, provocative emotions from every piece they write.

But, as I've said (maybe not here though), it could just be that Revolt speaks to my inner '80s teenager. :D