Do you like The Handler?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Handler?

• Yes, yes, yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope

I actually think Exogenesis was underhyped on the whole for how accomplished it ended up sounding. And still remains thoroughly underrated years later in my opinion.

People don't talk about Exogenesis mainly because it's had its heyday. It is still a great track, but I don't think it's underhyped. It was the most well-received track on the album by every reviewer. My only gripe with it is that the 2nd movement is so disjointed from the 3rd, while the first had a segue into the 2nd. It grinds my gears.

It sounded like a cross between Dead Star, Showbiz, Micro Cuts, Hyper Music and Futurism.

#musefancomparisons

Tom said something along the lines of "Norwich will enjoy that" or "Norwich is gonna get something good" so yeah I think it's fairly likely something will get played, probs The Handler.

wut.wot.wat.what.What.WHat.WHAt.WHAT.WHAT!WHAT!?WHAAT!??

You've put high hopes in my about The Handler now, dammit!

wut.wot.wat.what.What.WHat.WHAt.WHAT.WHAT!WHAT!?WHAAT!??

You've put high hopes in my about The Handler now, dammit!

Um...I was joking :$

It's impossible to give any kind of decent description 'cause we heard so little of it and it was pretty poor quality. The tiny part that we heard did sound fairly heavy and quite stripped back (3-piece) though, I guess.

Um...I was joking :$

It's impossible to give any kind of decent description 'cause we heard so little of it and it was pretty poor quality. The tiny part that we heard did sound fairly heavy and quite stripped back (3-piece) though, I guess.

Is this it or something?

Is this it or something?

No, it was the final version with the full band. Sounds sort of similar though, like it might be the same rhythm, I think. Honestly, it was hard to tell at the time and it's even harder to remember now so don't take my word on that.

I've never seen that before though. Fake? I wanna say it is but that bit of chatter at the end actually has me in two minds. The title and channel name are kinda fishy too. Must be fake though, surely :erm:

Edited by Jobby

No, it was the final version with the full band. Sounds sort of similar though, like it might be the same rhythm, I think. Honestly, it was hard to tell at the time and it's even harder to remember now so don't take my word on that.

I've never seen that before though. Fake? I wanna say it is but that bit of chatter at the end actually has me in two minds. The title and channel name are kinda fishy too. Must be fake though, surely :erm:

Oh, actually I think this is the same thing I saw in another thread on Drones, where people were saying that the voice at the end was "spliced in" and that the riff or whatever sounds like some teen, and that it was bad mixing.

So let's just dismiss this for now.

Oh, actually I think this is the same thing I saw in another thread on Drones, where people were saying that the voice at the end was "spliced in" and that the riff or whatever sounds like some teen, and that it was bad mixing.

So let's just dismiss this for now.

Yeah, that voice does sound edited in. Definitely fake.

The Periscope clip sounded more chord-y than that anyway. Basically: guitar with harsh overdrive playing some kind of chords with some big sounding (plenty of crash) drums going at an average/fast-ish pace. Couldn't hear much/any bass so it was hard to make out any kind of distinct riff or melody. Vague, I know :chuckle:

That's just what I heard though, and it was only like 5-7 seconds. Would've payed more attention if I hadn't known it was important until Tom said "You guys rockin' out to The Handler?" and almost instantly turned it off :rolleyes:

Yeah, that voice does sound edited in. Definitely fake.

The Periscope clip sounded more chord-y than that anyway. Basically: guitar with harsh overdrive playing some kind of chords with some big sounding (plenty of crash) drums going at an average/fast-ish pace. Couldn't hear much/any bass so it was hard to make out any kind of distinct riff or melody. Vague, I know :chuckle:

That's just what I heard though, and it was only like 5-7 seconds. Would've payed more attention if I hadn't known it was important until Tom said "You guys rockin' out to The Handler?" and almost instantly turned it off :rolleyes:

Aww that sucks hahaha

Nah, thanks for letting us who missed out on that moment know what went on exactly. Indeed, very vague haha no substance for the song yet other than it's got rock elements :LOL:

yy, been lurking this board for ages^^ just came back!

Exo-politics aka pee candle/Burning bandits was the shit as in the early (pre album) live versions, but the production killed it. the solo especially was soo awesome live, but they as far as i recall recorded it at the backside of a speaker who was covered with a pillow. Made it sound reallllllly weak on the album. compare it for yourself, here is the pre-album version

i see where you are coming from, i personally think that the electric guitar and bass sounds of matt and partly chris started sounding weak with BHaR, where they were apparently weirdly produced.

See Assasin and exp-politics (solo) as an example. Assassin always bothered me, the guitars sounded so fat live in the (bad) bootlegs we had back then, but on the album they just lacked the hammer^^ maybe it is just the suspense or something that is missing, im not sure.

I saw the BHaR version of Exo-Politics live and it still sounded flat then. The original live version from 2005 was so much better and the restructuring of the song lost its power. It just ended up being a bland guitar song by 2006 which was a shame.

Assassin live however is a beast, just badly recorded.

Sorry to bring up something that's already been said but what have the Italian/French reviews said about The Handler? I know we got told Revolt is poppy and is like the coca-cola christmas ad (lol), Aftermath is inspired by U2, Drones is a Capella hymn, but I can't for the life of me think what was said about The Handler.

Sorry to bring up something that's already been said but what have the Italian/French reviews said about The Handler? I know we got told Revolt is poppy and is like the coca-cola christmas ad (lol), Aftermath is inspired by U2, Drones is a Capella hymn, but I can't for the life of me think what was said about The Handler.

It's got massive drums

The Coca-Cola ad comparison was for Aftermath, wasn't it?

Sorry to bring up something that's already been said but what have the Italian/French reviews said about The Handler? [...] I can't for the life of me think what was said about The Handler.

Slow and pachidermic drums, a massive riff and a middle-part where Matt breaks out in tapping solo reminishing of Angus Young (reminishing of "Flight of The Bumblebee", somehow, for the Italian review).

I actually dreamt that, while I was listening to my current Drones playlist (which is only the 4 songs we have), after Reapers an unfamiliar song came on. I glanced down at my phone and saw "The Handler" with the drones album cover and everything, and I was like "holy shit, I'm listening to the handler!"

Sounded like Panic Station (with more prince) and the Dead Inside guitar solo as a running bass line through the song hahaha I thought it was cool :p

I actually dreamt that, while I was listening to my current Drones playlist (which is only the 4 songs we have), after Reapers an unfamiliar song came on. I glanced down at my phone and saw "The Handler" with the drones album cover and everything, and I was like "holy shit, I'm listening to the handler!"

Sounded like Panic Station (with more prince) and the Dead Inside guitar solo as a running bass line through the song hahaha I thought it was cool :p

I, too, had a dream that I heard it last night. I remember it being disappointing, but good. Didn't sound like Showbiz like I thought it would at all. Opinions were more diversive than opinions of any song so far on this album.

I, too, had a dream that I heard it last night. I remember it being disappointing, but good. Didn't sound like Showbiz like I thought it would at all. Opinions were more diversive than opinions of any song so far on this album.

I think this may be accurate actually, your last statement. I have a feeling a large amount of people expecting this to sound like the Muse we (most of the board anyways) has loved for a long time will end up being disappointed.

Reviews have mentioned things about the song's elements but we don't really know about the tone or how the song comes cross sonically. For all we know it could have massive drums and a great riff but end up sounding campy and up-beat. I don't think it will I'm just saying it is a possibility. Just something to think about. I've let my hype come down a bit when I realized this possibility.