Do you like The Handler?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Handler?

• Yes, yes, yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope

I'm pretty certain the Handler was described by Matt as the darkest track as well, with a possible contender being Mercy also

He didn't lump them all together, he just keeps changing his answers. Although you are right. It went like this:

Psycho --> The Handler --> Defector

Matt also said that The Handler is now his favorite track on the album

Sounds great, possibly the Wizard Of Oz samples from that IG video could be included in this song? Just a thought

That actually makes so much sense.

"Follow the Yellow Brick Road" to success in the music industry. Elton John did a song called Goodbye Yellow Brick Road saying goodbye to his life in the industry, how it put him in a place he didn't want.

And if The Handler is a lyrical question and answer and entangled with the song Showbiz, which is about showbiz itself, it might be that Matt answers his questioning self from the song Showbiz about industry, or pursuing a career or desire and what will happen once you get it.

I don't know, I may just be rambling nonsense now. :rolleyes:

There's a new interview with KROQ linked on reddit, and Dom is fuck all and wants to play The Handler with some crazy enthusiasm. It's got me feeling things... this track is getting past Supremacy hype levels

What do you mean Supremacy hype levels? I've seen this sorta thing mentioned across the board, possibly hinting that Supremacy was awful?

Am I mistaken? Haha

What do you mean Supremacy hype levels? I've seen this sorta thing mentioned across the board, possibly hinting that Supremacy was awful?

Am I mistaken? Haha

The band hyped it to be this monster of a track which gave it great hype, then everyone let their hype skyrocket after the first video of Supremacy being played live surfaced because it seemed to pay off; in studio it was just overproduced to hell and had no power.

The band hyped it to be this monster of a track which gave it great hype, then everyone let their hype skyrocket after the first video of Supremacy being played live surfaced because it seemed to pay off; in studio it was just overproduced to hell and had no power.

Ahh I see, fair enough. Thanks for telling me!

Can I know, though, what parts of it were overproduced, exactly? And by overproduced, do you just mean too many instruments / too much going on?

If that's the case, I thought it was perfect.

Can I know, though, what parts of it were overproduced, exactly? And by overproduced, do you just mean too many instruments / too much going on?

it was far too polished after how raw it sounded at E-werk

Overproduced the way I define it is that it seems to have been messed with too much to obtain some sort of weird perfection that strips the song of it's organic feel, or makes the song lose steam, makes the song less interesting, etc. Also adding superfluous shit is another thing. It's hard to tell whether the main element of the song was the guitar or the strings. It was just too much. Especially at the end with the end riff it just sounded like a bad joke and that closing riff wasn't even that good to boot

Overproduced the way I define it is that it seems to have been messed with too much to obtain some sort of weird perfection that strips the song of it's organic feel, or makes the song lose steam, makes the song less interesting, etc. Also adding superfluous shit is another thing. It's hard to tell whether the main element of the song was the guitar or the strings. It was just too much. Especially at the end with the end riff it just sounded like a bad joke and that closing riff wasn't even that good to boot

Oh I get you now! I can see where you're coming from and can agree at parts.

The new riff introduced at the end was very random to me when I first listened to the song, I remember, and it still is - the sudden change is too dramatic with poor transition. However, it is definitely among some of Muse's rhythmically technical songs, using a ton of 3s in the main riff crossing bars and falling on the offbeat and what not. The last riff was a mixture of 5s and 3s.

But that's just my inner drummer talking lol

agree on the definition of overproduction, but i disagree that surpremacy is overproduced.

Exe-politics was overproduced.

agree on the definition of overproduction, but i disagree that surpremacy is overproduced.

Exe-politics was overproduced.

I see you're a long term member here. I guess that might correlate with you having seen Exo-Politics live videos? If so then I can see where you're coming from, otherwise I don't think that song was overproduced myself. Supremacy I just think there's way too much going on and for all that's there, none of it hits as hard as it should. It's like a half-boner in the same way that Liquid State is.

I see you're a long term member here. I guess that might correlate with you having seen Exo-Politics live videos? If so then I can see where you're coming from, otherwise I don't think that song was overproduced myself. Supremacy I just think there's way too much going on and for all that's there, none of it hits as hard as it should. It's like a half-boner in the same way that Liquid State is.

yy, been lurking this board for ages^^ just came back!

Exo-politics aka pee candle/Burning bandits was the shit as in the early (pre album) live versions, but the production killed it. the solo especially was soo awesome live, but they as far as i recall recorded it at the backside of a speaker who was covered with a pillow. Made it sound reallllllly weak on the album. compare it for yourself, here is the pre-album version

upremacy I just think there's way too much going on and for all that's there, none of it hits as hard as it should.

i see where you are coming from, i personally think that the electric guitar and bass sounds of matt and partly chris started sounding weak with BHaR, where they were apparently weirdly produced.

See Assasin and exp-politics (solo) as an example. Assassin always bothered me, the guitars sounded so fat live in the (bad) bootlegs we had back then, but on the album they just lacked the hammer^^ maybe it is just the suspense or something that is missing, im not sure.

yy, been lurking this board for ages^^ just came back!

Exo-politics aka pee candle/Burning bandits was the shit as in the early (pre album) live versions, but the production killed it. the solo especially was soo awesome live, but they as far as i recall recorded it at the backside of a speaker who was covered with a pillow. Made it sound reallllllly weak on the album. compare it for yourself, here is the pre-album version

i see where you are coming from, i personally think that the electric guitar and bass sounds of matt and partly chris started sounding weak with BHaR, where they were apparently weirdly produced.

See Assasin and exp-politics (solo) as an example. Assassin always bothered me, the guitars sounded so fat live in the (bad) bootlegs we had back then, but on the album they just lacked the hammer^^ maybe it is just the suspense or something that is missing, im not sure.

Welcome back! :D Yeah this live version is definitely better, I remember discovering all the live versions and wondering why they ended up so different on the record. A big thing for Exo-Politics was they changed the bassline during the chorus so it wasn't driving the song as hard, and Matt's vocals weren't unchained and wild as they were live. Also yeah, Assassin and various other BHAR songs kind of lack that guitar punchiness too. I'm glad it's back as of Psycho and Mercy though lol

The band didn't hype it as much as articles did. But it did end up being the most hyped Muse song to ever be released.

Apparently Tom Kirk was on periscope again, showed off some visuals and played a bit of The Handler by accident...

no recordings god dammit

It sounded like a cross between Dead Star, Showbiz, Micro Cuts, Hyper Music and Futurism.

#musefancomparisons

'course not. Just going off of the likelihood given the Periscope thing (visual production etc.) plus that Matt/Dom interviewer with BBC saying they wanted to debut 2-3 new songs live there.

Tom said something along the lines of "Norwich will enjoy that" or "Norwich is gonna get something good" so yeah I think it's fairly likely something will get played, probs The Handler.

I'd give that title to Exogenesis. Thankfully Supremacy also lived up to the hype for me personally.

I actually think Exogenesis was underhyped on the whole for how accomplished it ended up sounding. And still remains thoroughly underrated years later in my opinion.