Haven't really been that hyped for the album for just general moving on and finding a lot of other music. It's been nice to just chill and wait for the release. So I agree, just relax. Listening to something else in the meantime.

I'm pretty used to this rodeo, we're gonna get a lot of generally positive reviews and a lot of "meh" reviews. It's always been this way, every single album. OOS got some awful reviews around it's release too, I think the Guardian gave it one star.

Haven't really been that hyped for the album for just general moving on and finding a lot of other music. It's been nice to just chill and wait for the release. So I agree, just relax. Listening to something else in the meantime.

This. There's so much good music out threat the moment. As a long term muse fan, hopefully drones will be good, but it won't be the end of the world.

That Classic Rock review sort of reflects my opinion on what I've heard and seen so far. Of course, my base-level of affection for the band is probably a bit higher than the reviewer's, so I have a higher tolerance for crappy lyrics and middle school level political opinions. What I've heard so far seems cold, uninspired and creatively lacking. That's not to say there aren't parts I enjoy, but I don't feel connected to it, for lack of a better expression.

My feeling is I'll end up rating it 7/10, right up there with the last two albums. I still expect there to be four or so songs that I'll actually keep listening to, which would be a better score than the last two actually.

I'm fine if the reviewer thought the album was a 6/10 - but as others have said, he just seemed to be taking shots at Matt and the lyrics and themes, and talked unacceptably little about how the music actually sounds.

Not what I consider much of a review.

Maybe so, maybe not. If at the end of listening to an album all you can remember are the crappy lyrics then the music must not have been good enough to forgive the bad bits.

lame

But true. I've "fallen out of love" with all the bands I really used to enjoy, and pretty much all I listen to is older music that I got into ages ago.

Still seeking out new stuff, but think maybe I'm just at a point where music doesn't speak to me much anymore? Sad, but maybe true.

Maybe so, maybe not. If at the end of listening to an album all you can remember are the crappy lyrics then the music must not have been good enough to forgive the bad bits.

Fair enough, but if you're working as a music critic, it would be nice if you spent more time critiquing the... you know... music...

But true. I've "fallen out of love" with all the bands I really used to enjoy, and pretty much all I listen to is older music that I got into ages ago.

Still seeking out new stuff, but think maybe I'm just at a point where music doesn't speak to me much anymore? Sad, but maybe true.

I don't want to grow up now :(

That Classic Rock review did touch on a fear of mine; Matt's adherence to the theme has undermined the album. I want him to just write songs.

I don't want to grow up now :(

That Classic Rock review did touch on a fear of mine; Matt's adherence to the theme has undermined the album. I want him to just write songs.

I'm sure it's got less to do with growing up, and more to do with just where I'm at in life.

Although I am a cynical old cunt most of the time.

But, hell, artists do tend to be young and deal with themes more relevant to their age group.

I just reread some ancient Muse interview where Matt said he wrote songs to appeal to his age group or lower.

So, maybe I AM aging out of it, who knows.

I still listen to stuff I've liked for ages, I just don't find new stuff much, or at all.

As for the second part, he said the music was mostly written, and the lyrics were what was tweaked to fit the concept, so hopefully he did "just write songs." At least the music and tone.

I'm sure it's got less to do with growing up, and more to do with just where I'm at in life.

Although I am a cynical old cunt most of the time.

But, hell, artists do tend to be young and deal with themes more relevant to their age group.

I just reread some ancient Muse interview where Matt said he wrote songs to appeal to his age group or lower.

So, maybe I AM aging out of it, who knows.

I still listen to stuff I've liked for ages, I just don't find new stuff much, or at all.

But surely there's still plenty of music being written by older musicians or without a demographic in mind?

As for the second part, he said the music was mostly written, and the lyrics were what was tweaked to fit the concept, so hopefully he did "just write songs." At least the music and tone.

True, but even reordering the tracklist to fit a concept could affect the overall opinion of an album. Not to mention the horribly shoe-horned in lyrics and references to Drones.

Like some others have said, I'm not putting much stock in descriptions or speculating too much. There's no point. Maybe when I listen to the album as a whole it will be more satisfying than what my gut is currently telling me.

In the meantime, there's a shit ton of good music out there to listen to, and more waiting to be discovered!

No defs not distorted. Treated, like auto-tune

I don't know if I should trust or care about the reviews...

I'd say no. The best thing about them are objective song descriptions really. We finally got info about the title track!

Fair enough, but if you're working as a music critic, it would be nice if you spent more time critiquing the... you know... music...

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/blogs/2015/4/You-stop-listening-to-new-music-at-age-33-earlier-for-parents-study-finds

You are already dead.