Yeah there's that problem, and let's be honest, that is going to fucking happen.

The song has to be reaaaally AWESOME with a catchy melody so people can sing along instead of talking, otherwise I'm not looking forward to how it will turn out...

I'm not sure whether anyone will agree with me, as it may just be something personal, but I have found that if I am introduced to material from a band I had not previously known, I am a lot less critical about their work and accept it for what it is. However, once I know the band and they release new material, I become much more critical and look too closely at specifics rather than just enjoying the album as a whole.

I have found this with Muse, but also with pretty much every other band I like and I wonder if this is why forums like this tend towards negativity? When something new is coming out, expectations are raised to impossible levels, and therefore, regardless of whether the material is better or worse than their older stuff, it will not be received as well by the established fanbase.

Don't know if anyone agrees, but I think acknowledging this makes getting new stuff much more enjoyable, rather than raising expectations too high!

I agree with you. I think it's particularly hard to digest new material from Muse because they've gotten increasingly OTT and don't stick to a consistent sound. Even though I'm not surprised that they try different things, it's still always jarring and takes a few listens to get used to. Although sometimes the material really is just wank. :p

I guess that's one plus side to having The Beatles as my favourite band. :LOL:

German review: http://www.musikexpress.de/reviews/alben/article732838/muse-drones.html

It's pretty incomprehensible through Google translate :\

I don't think Oliver Gotz liked it.

Edit: I know this translation is obviously wrong but I still laughed: 'Rock, prog rock itself, is the wrong way to make us lawless shredding of people out of the blue consciously.'

The one thing that really pisses me off with so many Muse reviews is how they always single out Matt and never ever give any credit to Chris or Dom.

I don't think Oliver Gotz liked it.

Edit: I know this translation is obviously wrong but I still laughed: 'Rock, prog rock itself, is the wrong way to make us lawless shredding of people out of the blue consciously.'

The one thing that really pisses me off with so many Muse reviews is how they always single out Matt and never ever give any credit to Chris or Dom.

It basically means: Progrock is the wrong way to make People aware of the whole drones Thing. :)

To be fair, most of them seem to be singling him out for his lyricism and the quite heavy-handed/patronising/niaive message of the album, which are all down to him.

More credit towards Chris or Dom for decent bass or drum parts would obviously be nice though.

To be fair, most of them seem to be singling him out for his lyricism and the quite heavy-handed/patronising/niaive message of the album, which are all down to him.

More credit towards Chris or Dom for decent bass or drum parts would obviously be nice though.

Yeah I know, I just mean it would be nice if they acknowledged that Matt isn't propping up the entire band by himself :LOL:

It basically means: Progrock is the wrong way to make People aware of the whole drones Thing. :)

Thanks :) I respectfully disagree with Oliver's opinion. :LOL::LOL:

'Our freedom is just a loan' hmmm, wouldn't it have sounded better to say 'our freedom is just on loan'?

Anyone care to give me a brief update, please? Haven't got the mental strength for 29 pages of random BS and one page of actual information :LOL:

Reviews.

Basically:

The Handler = Big riff, AC/DC-ish, generally pretty heavy

Defector = Very Queen

Revolt = Big Freeze 2

Drones = A capella re-working of

reviews... so far seeing different descriptions of the songs, like The Aftermath... i was excited when i read about it having bit Hendrix in there. sounds like it could be a very nice song.

I think this album will end up having, Psycho, Reapers, The Handler, Defector, The Globalist, maybe The Aftermath... as ''rock'' songs. so that's not too bad?

also i agree, heavy doesn't mean good.

i mean, yes, Dead Inside, Mercy are bit more pop. but Dead Inside sounds sort of ''dark'' in sound. Mercy sounds most poppy i would say. It's still heavier than Starlight i would say.

Also really interested in Drones.. sound really interesting to me.

Revolt i have no idea, could be either terrible or great. with or without you is a nice song, but the comparisons and descriptions, like i said, seem to change in every review.