But true. I've "fallen out of love" with all the bands I really used to enjoy, and pretty much all I listen to is older music that I got into ages ago.

Still seeking out new stuff, but think maybe I'm just at a point where music doesn't speak to me much anymore? Sad, but maybe true.

I can relate to how you feel. Yeah there's a lot of great music out there, but very few bands have had a meaningful impact on me. Muse are one of those bands, so I will be sad if this album ends up being disappointing.

I don't put much credence in reviews though. Didn't The Resistance and T2L get a lot of positive reviews?

I hope I'm wrong (as this is obviously based on only having heard 3 songs), but I just can't see this album being any different to The Resistance or The 2nd Law.

- In that, they're somewhat enjoyable around the time they're first released and you give 'em a few listens, but they soon become forgettable and even Muse end up dropping most of the songs from them from the 'staple' setlists by the next tour.

I genuinely think a large part of it is due to Matt's terrible, terrible lyricism. A lot of his recent lyrics seem like something you write when you're in your very first band at the age of 14, think conspiracy theory videos on YouTube are cool, then cringe like fuck when you read them back a few years later.

:noey:

I don't if is already posted, I think not, surprise, in italian. It's like 5 facts about the album..

http://www.onstageweb.com/recensioni-album/muse-drones-cose-da-sapere/

I want to share and translate this part with you guys.

5 – The Globalist è il pezzo migliore del disco

Sia chiaro, i gusti sono gusti e non si discutono. Ma The Globalist – traccia numero 11 e climax dell’album – è una di quelle canzoni capaci di farti sobbalzare sulla sedia fin dal primo ascolto (e che sai già che riascolterai un numero indefinito di volte senza stancarti). Doveva essere lo strombazzato seguito di Citizen Erased (parole di Matthew Bellamy), e in parte lo è: l’atmosfera che si respira è la stessa del pezzone tratto da Origin Of Symmetry, uno dei brani più amati dai fan dei Muse. Comincia con un taglio a la Morricone, si trascina lenta fino a un countdown che la fa esplodere in qualcosa di epico, poi si chiude in un’intima parte di piano e voce. La struttura “a capitoli” ricorda Bohemian Rhapsody, e anche se i paragoni con l’inno dei Queen sono sempre e comunque fuori luogo, qui i brividi sono assicurati.

Says Globalist is the best of the album.

Talks about epic song, how it has the atmosphere of Citizen Erased, and the Origin of Simmetry. strcuture resembles to Bohemian Rhaphsody..

Talks about epic song, how it has the atmosphere of Citizen Erased, and the Origin of Simmetry. strcuture resembles to Bohemian Rhaphsody..

Interesting! I was anticipating Globalist a lot before this but now excitement levels are going into overdrive.

I don't if is already posted, I think not, surprise, in italian. It's like 5 facts about the album..

http://www.onstageweb.com/recensioni-album/muse-drones-cose-da-sapere/

I want to share and translate this part with you guys.

5 – The Globalist è il pezzo migliore del disco

Sia chiaro, i gusti sono gusti e non si discutono. Ma The Globalist – traccia numero 11 e climax dell’album – è una di quelle canzoni capaci di farti sobbalzare sulla sedia fin dal primo ascolto (e che sai già che riascolterai un numero indefinito di volte senza stancarti). Doveva essere lo strombazzato seguito di Citizen Erased (parole di Matthew Bellamy), e in parte lo è: l’atmosfera che si respira è la stessa del pezzone tratto da Origin Of Symmetry, uno dei brani più amati dai fan dei Muse. Comincia con un taglio a la Morricone, si trascina lenta fino a un countdown che la fa esplodere in qualcosa di epico, poi si chiude in un’intima parte di piano e voce. La struttura “a capitoli” ricorda Bohemian Rhapsody, e anche se i paragoni con l’inno dei Queen sono sempre e comunque fuori luogo, qui i brividi sono assicurati.

This is definitely a new one. Thanks! Cool info

I genuinely think a large part of it is due to Matt's terrible, terrible lyricism. A lot of his recent lyrics seem like something you write when you're in your very first band at the age of 14, think conspiracy theory videos on YouTube are cool, then cringe like fuck when you read them back a few years later.

The beauty of lyrics usually comes from their relative vaguery - so that everyone can interpret their own meanings - not lyrics that punch you in the face with the writer's obviously intended meaning the second you hear them.

To a great extent I agree with you, but I don't think Matt has necessarily deteriorated as a lyricist over time. Stuff like "stretch it like it's a birth squeeze", or "making my heart feel sore, 'cause it's good" is also pretty shite, and that's just from the much-celebrated OoS. It's just a different kind of crap now, less oblique and more childish. Also - and I'll do a longer post on this at some point - I feel like the setup now means that we're able to nitpick and destroy our own hype far more than in the past. If Muse had written a song with the chorus "IT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF MEEEEE AND THE END IS ALL I CAN SEEEEE YEEA YEEAA YEYEEYE etc." for Drones, then we'd be ripping the shit out of it as well. And out of the mixing.

People are just way more sensitive about the lyrics they hear in new songs than the ones they already know.

Tbh I think people would have complained about Hoodoo too if it was released today.

From the same article

4 – Promessa mantenuta

I Muse lo avevano dichiarato fin dall’inizio: l’intenzione era di “tornare indietro”, ossia scrivere senza tanti fronzoli (magari con un uso parsimonioso di sintetizzatori ed evitando di lasciarsi prendere la mano con sperimentazioni varie). La promessa è stata mantenuta. Se nel precedente The 2nd Law non avevano considerato barriere stilistiche lasciandosi infatuare dalla dubstep (basti pensare che in una traccia c’era addirittura lo zampino del trio elettronico britannico Nero in fase di produzione), qui di pezzi che tentano strade non riconducibili al rock non ce ne sono. Ma questo non vuol dire che il disco suoni piatto, anzi. Si passa dall’incedere funky di Dead Inside alle terzine distorte di Psycho, dal riff di piano (che fa un po’ Starlight) di Mercy al sublime hard-rock della mutevole Reapers. In The Handler c’è spazio per un po’ di tapping e un raddoppio di tempo, Defector conta su un’apertura finale da film, Aftermath è una ballad che si colloca a metà tra inno nazionale e pubblicità natalizia della Coca Cola (che detto così potrebbe sembrare cheap, ma non lo è: fidatevi). La title-track che chiude l’album è a tutti gli effetti una a cappella. E poi c’è The Globalist…

Here talks about how Muse 'keep the promise' about the back to basic, to the rock, and talks about the songs, a little bit, I can't understand what he says about Afetermath and Coca Cola ¿?, and either Handler, I thinks he talks about the tapping, and Defector...

From the same article

4 – Promessa mantenuta

I Muse lo avevano dichiarato fin dall’inizio: l’intenzione era di “tornare indietro”, ossia scrivere senza tanti fronzoli (magari con un uso parsimonioso di sintetizzatori ed evitando di lasciarsi prendere la mano con sperimentazioni varie). La promessa è stata mantenuta. Se nel precedente The 2nd Law non avevano considerato barriere stilistiche lasciandosi infatuare dalla dubstep (basti pensare che in una traccia c’era addirittura lo zampino del trio elettronico britannico Nero in fase di produzione), qui di pezzi che tentano strade non riconducibili al rock non ce ne sono. Ma questo non vuol dire che il disco suoni piatto, anzi. Si passa dall’incedere funky di Dead Inside alle terzine distorte di Psycho, dal riff di piano (che fa un po’ Starlight) di Mercy al sublime hard-rock della mutevole Reapers. In The Handler c’è spazio per un po’ di tapping e un raddoppio di tempo, Defector conta su un’apertura finale da film, Aftermath è una ballad che si colloca a metà tra inno nazionale e pubblicità natalizia della Coca Cola (che detto così potrebbe sembrare cheap, ma non lo è: fidatevi). La title-track che chiude l’album è a tutti gli effetti una a cappella. E poi c’è The Globalist…

Here talks about how Muse 'keep the promise' about the back to basic, to the rock, and talks about the songs, a little bit, I can't understand what he says about Afetermath and Coca Cola ¿?, and either Handler, I thinks he talks about the tapping, and Defector...

He says that Aftermath sounds like a mix between a national anthem and a coca cola Christmas ad (but not necessarily in a bad way) :LOL: