Honestly, I've either fallen out of love with music entirely, or I'm suffering from the same fatigue.

I don't have fun pouring through what I can find out there and just not having it connect with me.

I just assumed I was getting old.

We should have some sort of thread about this (maybe there's one already?) because I have the exact same problem to be honest. I do still obviously buy music but it's mostly older bands (i.e at least ten years ago).

I occasionally try bands I hear people talking about on here or elsewhere but I tend to find them a bit uninspiring. I pretty much also assumed I was getting old as well. I think the issue is that growing up with grunge & britpop which is very "heart on your sleeve" type music I find stuff like Royal Blood a bit detached sounding. I'm up for suggestions from people who are more up to speed obviously.

We should have some sort of thread about this (maybe there's one already?) because I have the exact same problem to be honest. I do still obviously buy music but it's mostly older bands (i.e at least ten years ago).

I occasionally try bands I hear people talking about on here or elsewhere but I tend to find them a bit uninspiring. I pretty much also assumed I was getting old as well. I think the issue is that growing up with grunge & britpop which is very "heart on your sleeve" type music I find stuff like Royal Blood a bit detached sounding. I'm up for suggestions from people who are more up to speed obviously.

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=89322

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=91600

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=90563

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=39114

EDIT: Oh and not to forget http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=81615

That's just one attempt though. You need to get out there more. I mean...looking for music should be FUN. Not just something you do once and then say "nah this isn't worth it".

But I sent you a PM to possibly get you started.

Oh no that was just one example, there's so many more over the years, but cheers for the PM, i'll give a couple a try.

And yeah I echo the sentiments of the guy above, I find myself just listening to music at least 10 years old these days, seems to have really taken a dive in the last few years (overall). Might be why i'm getting my hopes up so much for LP7.

I think Dock probably hit it right on the head; I just come from a different era, and imprinted on certain things.

I attempt to find bands that recapture those feeling for me, but they fall flat of what I remember, and I just haven't picked up on much of the new things that have come along.

I need to feel an emotional connection to the music I listen to, and technical prowess just isn't enough for me.

To make matters worse, I'm probably remembering how I used to feel about bands with rose colored glasses of nostalgia, further ensuring that nothing lives up to my expectations.

So yeah, just getting old. :chuckle:

There has never really been a shortage of popular rock bands. Royal Blood aren't taking the place of some pop act. If anything they're taking the place of a rock band that's actually innovative.

I doubt there's much chance for a truly innovative band to gain much attention these days, but I broadly agree. Royal Blood's niche seems to be "accessible alternative" rather than properly mainstream. Haven't heard them on mainstream radio apart from four or five plays on Radio 1.

Oh no that was just one example, there's so many more over the years, but cheers for the PM, i'll give a couple a try.

And yeah I echo the sentiments of the guy above, I find myself just listening to music at least 10 years old these days, seems to have really taken a dive in the last few years (overall). Might be why i'm getting my hopes up so much for LP7.

Nonsense. There are a host of blogs and websites for any scene you want these days. No Clean Singing and Heavy Blog Is Heavy have introduced me to some awesome new albums lately.

I find Anthony Fantano's YT page entertaining and educational when it comes to new music.

I enjoy those. :happy:

Music has no dips in quality over the years. No dives taken.

Well the 90s were weak for me, compared to the 80s and after.

I tend to find Other Bands here is my main source of new music these days. If it wasn't for the strength of that section of this board, I doubt I'd still be posting here tbh.

Ditto! Pretty much every band I love now I found out about from this messageboard.

I don't think the quality of music has dipped over the years, either, although admittedly some genres have become scarce and new ones have taken over.

However, the impact of the mainstream has become so strong with flagging album sales, and little or no money going into promoting anything else, that I feel robbed of a lot of the "love at first sight" music moments I had decades ago.

For example, I was shopping at a goddamn Target store back in like '01, and they were playing the video for Ours' "Sometimes" on the screens. Instantly fell in love.

Years later, I fell in love with Muse at the exact same store.

Last week in the time it took me to buy batteries and tampons, I saw the videos for the new Taylor Swift and Coldplay at the same chain store. Three times. In the time it took me to grab and pay for two things. And nothing else.

So, I miss those moments. And going to the concerts of bands I fell in love with, and sometimes falling in love with opening acts.

I do listen to things in those threads, but almost feel like I'm forcing myself, and it makes it tough to judge things honestly.

It's like going out on that date with the guy your friend is pushing on you, instead of locking eyes with a stranger in a dark room.

never had serious problems with this tbh. youtube is still the best source of music imo. when listening to my favorite bands it offers loads of suggestions that have led me to many awesome new discoveries. and many shit ones, too, but you just need to keep browsing. as long as you still enjoy it, of course.

never had serious problems with this tbh. youtube is still the best source of music imo. when listening to my favorite bands it offers loads of suggestions that have led me to many awesome new discoveries. and many shit ones, too, but you just need to keep browsing. as long as you still enjoy it, of course.

I disagree. /mu/ is and always will be the best place for discovering new music on the Internet, ever.

I'm definitely starting to think I was more into the odd emotional connections I had with music, and that that might be something I just cannot recapture.

Not that I'm going to stop trying.

right sorry, I forgot. also, we're high meticulous when it comes to defining genres.

What do you mean by "high meticulous"? Goes without saying what I said is my opinion but it really is a great feeling to find others with niche tastes in one convenient place whenever you'd like. Share threads are great there.

I'm definitely starting to think I was more into the odd emotional connections I had with music, and that that might be something I just cannot recapture.

Not that I'm going to stop trying.

Yeah that is a fair point, with the internet and media in general now it's harder to have that with music.