I agree, but damn I love their music still.

It's like nobody has heard of the band Disco Ensemble; but some of their guitar riffs and songs would be massive if people heard them.

Royal Blood have only just started so they've got heaps of room to grow and shape their sound.

Anyways...back to Muse!

Say what you like about Royal Blood but they know which Muse songs are good. Prominent distorted bass riffs that drive the songs are what have been lacking in recent Muse releases.

Say what you like about Royal Blood but they know which Muse songs are good. Prominent distorted bass riffs that drive the songs are what have been lacking in recent Muse releases.

Agreed, I think there might be some of this on Drones though however! Just get that feeling.

I met Royal Blood at laneway festival for an album signing and I was the only one there! So I had a pretty good chat with the band. Talked about Muse, Arctic Monkeys and Australia. Really really nice guys, got a photo and album booklet signed.

There has never really been a shortage of popular rock bands. Royal Blood aren't taking the place of some pop act. If anything they're taking the place of a rock band that's actually innovative.

No one said there was a shortage, but RB achieving mainstream success is a good thing for music, if you're a fan of rock. I could only list on one hand a bunch of acts who are truly "innovative", originality is hard to come by in music these days.

Besides, not sure if you've heard the top 40 lately and not that I care but if Royal Blood are making the top 40 then yes it is a pop act they will be replacing because there is next to no rock acts in the top 40 on a weekly basis and there hasn't consistently been any for the last few years.

Yeah not sure why they're the subject of so much passive ridicule on here, heard their album a few times now and they sound like the real deal. I think it's perhaps because people prefer other heavy bands and can't understand the exposure RB are getting in mainstream music.

I've heard they're cracking live aswell, I'll know for sure after I see them next friday I guess.

I'm not ridiculing them, I'll be seeing them live next month for the third time as they are a great live act and perhaps have one of the most consistant debut albums in the last 10-15 years ( only my opinion so calm down, and I'm taking song quality not production). I just find it funny that people make it sound like they have reinvented the wheel, I actually thought Jimmy Page put it well recently when he said that he felt like he has passed the baton over to royal blood for them to kick old school rock up a notch.

Still either way they are a top notch band :D

No one said there was a shortage, but RB achieving mainstream success is a good thing for music, if you're a fan of rock. I could only list on one hand a bunch of acts who are truly "innovative", originality is hard to come by in music these days.

Besides, not sure if you've heard the top 40 lately and not that I care but if Royal Blood are making the top 40 then yes it is a pop act they will be replacing because there is next to no rock acts in the top 40 on a weekly basis and there hasn't consistently been any for the last few years.

But why is it a good thing for music, if another popular rock band would just have taken its place, had RB not existed? Rock will always be popular in one form or another, and this nearly purist approach to rock is what's killing it if anything.

Genres change and take eachothers spotlight naturally. Whining about rock dying and forcing rock bands that mimic the classics into the mainstream will only suffocate the genre. People who praise RB are generally also the people who believe that without bands that "save" rock, it will die. And those people are idiots.

Not to mention that RB seems to have gotten into the charts because people who never listen to anything but what's on the radio heard them and went "omg a band that plays rock, no one does that anymore!" (If you read NME I think you'll find that I'm not even exaggerating)

RB are nothing particularly exciting, special, different or even interesting. They just came to prominence at a very opportune moment when, certainly the British charts, had been lacking a ballsy rock act. Three years I think since the last number one album was a rock album, or something like that (no idea about the official categorisation).

I think they're great. A lot of the time, I crave such simplicity. They're just decent pop songs with stonking great bass riffs in them. What's not to like? Page's comments are a bit silly, of course they're not saviours of rock music. They're just riding a good wave at the moment that takes elements from lots of bands that have enjoyed chart success. I don't know if either of the guys have commented on this publicly, but I can't imagine they haven't been influenced by Chris's bass playing over the last decade, for instance.

But why is it a good thing for music, if another popular rock band would just have taken its place, had RB not existed? Rock will always be popular in one form or another, and this nearly purist approach to rock is what's killing it if anything.

Genres change and take eachothers spotlight naturally. Whining about rock dying and forcing rock bands that mimic the classics into the mainstream will only suffocate the genre. People who praise RB are generally also the people who believe that without bands that "save" rock, it will die. And those people are idiots.

Not to mention that RB seems to have gotten into the charts because people who never listen to anything but what's on the radio heard them and went "omg a band that plays rock, no one does that anymore!" (If you read NME I think you'll find that I'm not even exaggerating)

I actually agree with pretty much everything you've said here, but having listened to a lot of rock recently not much has really grabbed me because it's so hard to find stuff on the underground scene that's actually worth spending time listening to. So often I think I've found a decent band only to find after a few listens that it's all pretty generic.

So when a rock group gains national recognition it usually means (to me at least) that they're worth the time.

what

I fear you've misunderstood what I meant. I'm not saying there's no music on the underground scene worth listening to, there's obviously an abundance. It's just difficult to know who's opinion to trust on the matter with regards to who you should listen to.

I fear you've misunderstood what I meant. I'm not saying there's no music on the underground scene worth listening to, there's obviously an abundance. It's just difficult to know who's opinion to trust on the matter with regards to who you should listen to.

What about your own?

I hope Drones is as brilliant lyrically and cohesively as The Mindsweep by Enter Shikari released in January. This album blew me away and I think Drones will follow a similar lyrical theme...

Currently loving this song:

Intro is boss.

oi m8 it's 6 bong

As I said Fabri, it's difficult. Case in point a band I recently listened to was the Black Angels because of the song they had included in True Detective. Listened to the rest of their back catalogue repeatedly for the longest time to see if it would grab me and it just never did. Sometimes if a band is in the spotlight it's for a good reason and not just because they are fulling a gap in the market.

As I said Fabri, it's difficult. Case in point a band I recently listened to was the Black Angels because of the song they had included in True Detective. Listened to the rest of their back catalogue repeatedly for the longest time to see if it would grab me and it just never did. Sometimes if a band is in the spotlight it's for a good reason and not just because they are fulling a gap in the market.

That's just one attempt though. You need to get out there more. I mean...looking for music should be FUN. Not just something you do once and then say "nah this isn't worth it".

But I sent you a PM to possibly get you started.

I think this is what's happening. Because people are too lazy to seek out good music. Therefore they assume it doesn't exist and that "rock is dead."