The main thing here is just this critical sentiment I'm seeing reminds me of the whole stereotypical "old Muse," "back to roots," "OoS" trope that's called for this kind of sonic return for a long time and seeing complaints about it now is what I'm addressing mainly, moreso than the "classic rock" complaints. Of course everyone's allowed to dislike classic rock, but what I see more than just that is moreso just Muse fans whining about things moreso than taking "classic rock" complaints seriously as a whole. For me it's like this. I see people wanting a return to an OoS type/heavy rock sound. Muse return, but now people get nitpicky about what kind of sound they want. It seems silly to me to complain so much

Do you really see OoS as "classic rock," though?

I certainly don't.

I don't see them returning to that sound, at all.

I'd love an OoS vibe (or an Abso one,) but I don't think the band is in a place to make that happen without it sounding derivative, or dragging in a lot of the more "cheesy" influences that have cropped up in the last two albums. I could be wrong; I'd like to be wrong.

But, likely they aren't that band anymore, and that's fine.

I'm just hoping they aren't ACDC, either, complete with chanting, cringeworthy lyrics and an outdated sound.

Err... What? :LOL:

I'd add Starlight, Madness, Neutron Star Collision, Invincible, Panic Station, and Explorers to that list for starters. Not sure I'd put IBTY in there, but I guess that one is debatable.

It's difficult to judge from 5 seconds. But that 5 seconds does not sound like a return to an OOS sound. In its funk rock it sounds potentially as close or closer to Panic Station than Bliss/Plug In Baby/New Born/Citizen Erased to me.

This is what I mean by "cheese" losing meaning. Most of those aren't cheese, they're just pop. The only one Ill give you is Neutron Star Collision. Also this new riff sounding like funk? Wtf. Not even remotely reminiscent of Panic Station

It's difficult to judge from 5 seconds. But that 5 seconds does not sound like a return to an OOS sound. In its funk rock it sounds potentially as close or closer to Panic Station than Bliss/Plug In Baby/New Born/Citizen Erased to me.

Maybe they're pushing the RatM influence more than before.

You could say the same thing about Glen's bee comment a while back, and nothing ever came of that, either.

It's quite possibly just another bit of hype.

Difference is she used the #musedrones hashtag. So she obviously wanted this to be visible/seen but it is also entirely possible it doesn't mean anything. Anything implying a tour though is going to draw attention nonetheless