...and bring forth the fears about it being classic rock-oriented. I'd take dubstep over that any day.

Well, each to their own. I personally don't mind classic rock in moderation, plus the other riff we've heard gives me hope that the album's influences aren't just classic rock.

yeah, that was pretty solid. a bit too reminiscent of helsinki jam/assassin but a lot more promising that this one nonetheless.

All in all, given what we've heard, however little it is, they seem to have stuck to their guns with the whole "stripping it back" business (excluding the strings but if that turns out to be like Butterflies and Hurricanes I'm totally fine with that). So I'm getting rather positive vibes from the whole thing on my end.

I'm listening to the snippet right now, but I'm not really sure what to think of it. If it were an other band, I probably would have liked it, but I guess I expected something less… classic from Muse. I'm not fond of the "Drones" shouting either, but maybe I'll like it when I hear the whole song.

Also, is it just me or are the blackouts with each pic less opaque/more transparant?

I'm listening to the snippet right now, but I'm not really sure what to think of it. If it were an other band, I probably would have liked it, but I guess I expected something less… classic from Muse. I'm not fond of the "Drones" shouting either, but maybe I'll like it when I hear the whole song.

Also, is it just me or are the blackouts with each pic less opaque/more transparant?

I just mentioned that :) but yeah, I think it may mean some real news will arrive soon :D

It does signal that they are stripping back and returning to playing rock.

But its upbeat, funky feel combined with the group-vocal shout simultaneously signals that they are channelling it through their more recent cheesy style - what they once called their Monty Python-esque humour, making it purposefully laughable and silly.

I personally find the first element positive or encouraging, and the second element negative and discouraging. I was definitely hoping that they'd dropped the self-consciously silly, cheesy aspects, which were fun for a while (Knight of Cydonia, for instance), but I think have grown pretty old and off-putting by this stage.

No clue how you think a chant is cheesy. People use that word improperly here and use it to refer to anything, it has no meaning anymore.

I, unfortunately, agree with what Static said. KoC was that sort of cheese done well, imo, but they seem to have quickly lost the line after that one.

What makes me a little more concerned this time around, is if the album is supposed to be more "dark" or "political" and it's done in the same tone as Survival (complete with the band laughing their asses off recording it.)

"Chants" aren't inherently cheesy... but seem to be tough to do correctly. This clip didn't capture that "correctly" for me. Hoping, somehow, it sounded worse than it is, out of context, but don't really have my hopes up. Having a hard time imagining a context in which that "drones!" doesn't make me cringe again.

And there's a fine line between "hey, this would be fun for the crowd to yell!" and 25% of the song being "woah oh oh oh oh woah" and the singer of the band not singing huge chunks of the songs. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, unbearably terrible 30STM gig...)

Just write a good song; the crowd will find something to do.

"a chant" isn't cheesy per se. That "DRONES!!!!!11!1" is though.

Completely agree :)

not necessarily cheesy, like the backing vocals on big freeze for example, more like... ridiculous.

and bad.

I'm not sure anything you have said in the last 10 pages makes any sense :LOL:

You don't know the context of it.

Doesn't make it any less cheesy. If it's not repeated throughout the song or chorus it won't be a problem for me.

Everyone loses their shit when they hear live outro to most of their song which sounds nearly as that in snippet. Now, they do it in a song and you're dissapointed?

For fucks sake

wut

huh

I mean because the crossings-out on the mag covers have recently been getting clearer (much more noticeable in this most recent cover) this may suggest that some news will come when the covers are (eventually) fully clear. Just a stupid theory :D