Got some Gotoh HAPs today. Might be a stupid question but I can't seem to adjust them? Tried locking/unlocking on the bottom of the tuners using the allen key but it never seems to budge, and also cant lower or heighten the posts. Am I just being an idiot?

Got some Gotoh HAPs today. Might be a stupid question but I can't seem to adjust them? Tried locking/unlocking on the bottom of the tuners using the allen key but it never seems to budge, and also cant lower or heighten the posts. Am I just being an idiot?

Try tightening with the allen key. This actually unlocks them, and then you can spin the post around to get the height correct

It should have come with a little manual though

Try tightening with the allen key. This actually unlocks them, and then you can spin the post around to get the height correct

It should have come with a little manual though

I couldn't seem to tighten or loosen anything though? In either direction it just wouldn't budge, was bending the allen key as well

Thats why I don't use starved plate designs. Relevant to that though, I have a 12au7 and a 12ay7 to try in the two prototypes I have sitting at home. I'm gonna run them side by side and see which I prefer. Its too messy with a 12ax7 anyway

Thats why I don't use starved plate designs. Relevant to that though, I have a 12au7 and a 12ay7 to try in the two prototypes I have sitting at home. I'm gonna run them side by side and see which I prefer. Its too messy with a 12ax7 anyway

too much gains?

also, those of you familiar with how to restring a bass. Is it common for the holes in the machine heads not to accept standard sized gauges? :erm: I've just put a hybrid (45-105) set on my electromatic bass (which is what it came with), and the two bottom strings don't fit the way they should.

Thinking I'll replace them next time, unless there's a way around it...

Its a combination of being too gainy and too raspy. Even letting lower frequencies through, its not a particularly nice tone. Its like saying, well you can have a nice warm crunchy tone, or original gsk fail edition shouty loud with point-at-camera action.

Out of interest, what voltage are you running your tubes at, and how are you powering them?

Nixie SMPS putting out 120-140V. Can't remember exactly what I set it out but it's somewhere in that range.

NixieSMPS.jpg

well from my learnings, the current rating of the inductor has a lot to do with it. I don't understand the science of it, partly because i end up reading this stuff after a long day in work, but i've also found that lower rated inductors (I have a bunch of 0.1A ones) also seem to struggle at higher voltages. I'm currently using 1A ones, and although they're a bit bigger, they're not excessively big and they work great.

I would guess that it probably would limit you at multiple tubes, but I'm going to be trying it with two submini tubes in due course. The submini tubes I have are rated for maximum current draw of 100ma each, where as the 12A#7 tubes, I believe, are 400ma each.

Possibly a stupid question - I'm trying to make a MIDI file to control my Whammy DT with Cubase, so if I want it to change settings do I need to put the bypass program change number for the setting that's on (-1 oct) in the MIDI list editor at the same time as the active number for the next setting (+1 oct)?