Muse tour too much

Original Musely

Yeah same, it's not the shortest amount of period ever but it's ok. At least it's not Tool.

Right?! :LOL::noey:

I think there is more to his point than that they are waiting too long to release music. It's that they release albums solely so that they may go back on tour.

But they enjoy touring and being on the road. I don't see a problem with this. It's better than them touring the same material without a new album for years on end. *cough*Tool*cough*.

Meh, could just as we'll be that they tour until they think they have something valuable and new to say(write).

:yesey:

I totally see where this guy is coming from. TR and T2L seem to lack the same passion that older albums used to. Saying that i love both albums (T2L being my favourite out them all). Their simple problem is that their balls are far too big. They release crazy music and dont give a toss what people think. I totally understand why my friends listen to songs like unstainable, follow me, USoE, exogenesis etc and dismiss them as ridiculous because they are. They dont release conventional songs that are easy on the ears. But at end of the day, the band are fucking awesome. But as for just releasing songs to tour. I agree. The lack of b-sides show that they arent really pushing themselves. I think they are content with the ideas they have instead of trying to push for more. But what can i say im no music expert. I just like to listen to supremacy and think fuck me this band are siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

I was kinda just suggesting that perhaps they are more motivated by touring than record making. That's just the feeling I get, but I can also understand why that would mean nothing to younger fans or people that really love the newer stuff

I don't think this is any big revelation. They've made no secret about the fact they consider themselves a live band first and foremost. I have seen that sentiment from them in interview after interview, both past and present. They have won umpteen million best live act awards. I do think that affects the music in various ways. Matt has said he writes with "How is this going to look, sound, feel in a live setting" in mind. I also think the fact that they are a live band above all else affects the b side situation, because they don't usually record anything that they don't plan or picture themselves performing. They DO write just enough and with the aim of taking it on the road. That's pretty much been established...

I don't really think we'd get much different from them if they took a large break after touring. They aim to write exactly what they want to, and it is geared toward live performance.

It's interesting that the original poster pointed out the two albums that they self produced as feeling different from the rest. I think there's a subject we could dissect more.

The lack of b-sides show that they arent really pushing themselves.

Not releasing b-sides does not mean they aren't "pushing themselves". The opposite could just as easily be said, that they're being more selective and putting more effort into what they do release. But having b-sides and experimenting/going away from their comfort zone are not necessarily linked in the way you're saying.

They have said both that they thought the last few albums were made with the live show in mind (at least to some extent) and that they made T2L with the intent that more songs could be played live.

Neither of those means the albums were less creative, or that the problem could be solved by less touring.

I would LOVE more music more often, but I'd be pretty damn unhappy if it meant less touring.

3 years between gigs is plenty (too much, even) for me.

Because you haven't.

Even if I had been, Sippe, I have been seriously ill since 2002 and this year was the first I felt well enough to go to a live gig. I had to get a letter from my doctor so that I could get a wheelchair space in the stadium and I had to buy my tickets direct from the stadium. It took two weeks to sort out by which time all the decent seats were gone but it was still one of the greatest experiences of my life. I would be very sad if Muse decided they weren't going to play live so much just as I have begun to be able to see them.

I kind of want them to write and record an album regardless of the "how can we play this live?" mindset.

As Sippe said, they did for Black Holes, or they did at least until they moved from Miraval to New York. Not so sure about the 2 following albums but some songs on TR fit the profile of "this doesn't have to be played live".

I kind of agree to be honest. As impressive as they are live, ultimately a band is judged on their recorded output, and that's suffered recently in my opinion. I think a good break from touring might do them good.

They're getting older so their material is bound to change with age and experience. I agree that it's disappointing when a band you love records albums that you don't think are as good as their earlier albums. If a band can still perform live, though, I would go and see them even if I hadn't enjoyed their recent albums as much as earlier ones.

I don't really think Muse tour too much. They have regular two week breaks between touring afaik.

To be honest, I think you might be going through the usual thing of falling out of "love" with a band. You listen to them all the time and you keep track of what they're doing but as time goes on you kind of stop caring little by little. Could be this.

In my own opinion, TR was a letdown. Felt completely dull. T2L was better but it doesn't really stand up to some of their earlier stuff from when they were younger.

You don't think that touring around, playing music for three years will affect what they write?

It does affect what they write. You missed my point though, i just don't think it would necessarily be better music if they wrote it after a long break from touring.

Edited by fabripav