Muse tour too much

Original Musely

Disclaimer: I won't be at all surprised if nobody reads or replies to this.

So I'm sat listening to latest Manics album 'Rewind the Film'. Yeah yeah I know lots of people aren't so keen on them. Whatever. But I have to say, as a long-time fan of that band, what really makes them so enduring for me is that I still feel thoroughly connected with them. Through their music, and the stream of records they make. Not through Q&As, or seeing them live more times than necessary, or any other kind of online gestures. They seem to have never stopped making records. Even when they promised a 2-year break, two of them ended up making solo albums! It seems there's an unshakable creative intent in that band that gives them the need to keep writing music. And while I might love some of their records more than others, I never stop wanting to here what they have to say next (..musically that is). And that's because they always seem to have something to say (or at least want to), otherwise they wouldn't bother writing anything.

So....Muse.

The band that completely had me by the balls from 1999 - 2007. That's a fairly large portion of me. And during that period, every album they released felt like a hugely exciting important event in my life. And yet, with the last couple of albums, I somehow feel increasingly indifferent about them. Yes I know lots of people love The Resistance and The 2nd Law, but I'm very certain that there are lots of fans out there who also feel like I do: that these two albums seemed like a step down/back. But if you don't agree with that, you may as well click away now!

For me, the problem is that they tour every single album so relentlessly that it has now just made every album-tour cycle feel totally monotonous. It's become harder to be a 'fan' of the band as there is no artistic momentum between their albums anymore. And hence, there's really nothing to be a fan of! For me, The 2nd Law felt more like 12 songs that enabled them to go out on the road again, rather than an album they desperately needed to get out of their system. The other problem is that by having to wait SO LONG for a few new songs, it adds a ridiculous pressure for you to absolutely love them as much as you did the previous ones. Three-and-a-half years is a long time; you enter a different stage in your life by then!

NIN got away with this - but largely because there was always different reasons for the long gaps. And when he did finally get clean and back in flow, what happened: With Teeth/Year Zero/Saul Williams/Ghosts/The Slip/How To Destroy Angels/Two Film Scores/ More NIN. A plethora of creativity.

Don't get me wrong. It's nice that Muse want to tour and make sure everyone gets a chance to see them. Most artists with good intentions would feel that way. But most artists have stories about having to sacrifice touring certain places (or doing a tour altogether) sometimes. I can also understand why Muse have ended up thinking the way they do. Since they are the kind of band that originally had success through relentless touring, they obviously still feel that it's fundamental for enduring success. Maybe in terms of new fans, they're right. But for older fans like me that still care deeply about their music, it's a different story.

What do I think they should do? Take time out from touring. Re-evaluate the band. Make some bloody music! Usher in a new era of Muse (since the last million years have all felt like one gigantic blur). Focus on being a record-making band for a while. Make me care again. And furthermore, from listening to Butterflies and Hurricanes, I know Matt Bellamy has it in him to do that.

I was curious if there's any old-school fans like me who feel the same way? And just in case anyone thinks this is a Muse-bashing thread, let me say I've written this because I do like Muse. Would be great to know what you all think!

PS. I've purposely avoided talking musically about TR or T2L since everyone's going to have different opinions away. Let's just say I personally thought they were less focused. And I used to love Muse for their diversity and their musical sense of humour, but I also think both of those things have backfired lately.

Edited by Original Musely

PS. I've purposely avoided talking musically about TR or T2L since everyone's going to have different opinions away. Let's just say I personally thought they were less focused. And I used to love Muse for their diversity and their musical sense of humour, but I also think both of those things have backfired lately.

You used to love Muse for their diversity, so isn't T2L diverse enough?

Anyway I disagree, I don't think that a break from touring would mean a better Muse album. The two things aren't connected at all, imo.

You used to love Muse for their diversity, so isn't T2L diverse enough?

I personally thought they were less focused. And I used to love Muse for their diversity [...] but I also think both of those things have backfired lately.

No, he/she said the diversity was there, but it backfired lately.

Edited by Strangeseas

I think it's a good thing to think about.

But if you take a look at last festivals setlists with songs like Agitated, Yes Please and also US coming back, Muse are on a good way to make a 'classic rock album'... And there is also the fact that they mentioned they want to make music as a three piece band -> hoping for this!

It's all right for those of you who have seen Muse many times to moan about them touring too much. I've only seen them once so why should people like me suffer because you have been a fan since 1999?:p

Absolutely - I made that point too (about newer fans). I just wanted to hear some different opinions. Thanks for having one!

I think it's a good thing to think about.

But if you take a look at last festivals setlists with songs like Agitated, Yes Please and also US coming back, Muse are on a good way to make a 'classic rock album'... And there is also the fact that they mentioned they want to make music as a three piece band -> hoping for this!

Yeah that would be cool! I heard they did a gig in Japan recently where they played tons of b-sides and stuff.

I don't really mind what they do, I'd just like it if they released music more frequently

I think Muse has lots of artistic momentum going on between albums still. All of their albums always have a common "theme" to them whether it be lyrically, musically, what have you. Saying something like " The 2nd Law felt more like 12 songs that enabled them to go out on the road again, rather than an album they desperately needed to get out of their system" I think does disservice to them. The 2nd Law is about energy consumption (for the most part), if you ask me, that's not something a band just "gets off their chest" for the sake of making music. I'd imagine a lot went into it.

It sounds like for the most part you're just jaded about their musical direction over the last two albums, and a lot of fans would agree with you on that part. But with that topic, that's a to each his own situation.

On the topic of timing, there's no right/wrong way or time to produce/write and tour. Considering their global presence and what i think is still very high quality touring (the inclusion of more "oldies" and continued superb visual effects on this tour has really reinvigorated them it seems) they do just fine.

You can never please everyone and your opinion is totally fine and probably common, but it just is what it is.

and for the record id be totally fine with getting new songs more often, but hey. Whatcha gonna do.

The 2nd Law is about energy consumption (for the most part), if you ask me, that's not something a band just "gets off their chest" for the sake of making music. I'd imagine a lot went into it.

I should say I didn't by any means hate the more recent albums, they just didn't excite me quite as much. Still good though. My comment about T2L probably is over-the-top - I quite like some of it

I was kinda just suggesting that perhaps they are more motivated by touring than record making. That's just the feeling I get, but I can also understand why that would mean nothing to younger fans or people that really love the newer stuff

I should say I didn't by any means hate the more recent albums, they just didn't excite me quite as much. Still good though. My comment about T2L probably is over-the-top - I quite like some of it

I was kinda just suggesting that perhaps they are more motivated by touring than record making. That's just the feeling I get, but I can also understand why that would mean nothing to younger fans or people that really love the newer stuff

personally i think the touring and traveling is the best part of it to them, so it wouldnt surprise me at all if they did things simply for that motivation