Interview with Matt in German newspaper "Berliner Zeitung"

Tabea

Hey,

I'm new here and want to share an interview with Matt with you, which I recently found on the homepage of the German newspaper "Berliner Zeitung": http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/berlin/muse-am-14--juli-in-berlin-waldbuehne--es-ist-das-beste-gefuehl-ueberhaupt--,10809148,23624638.html

The whole article is in German, but the translation of Google Translator seems to be quite good in my opinion. If I have enough time I'll translate it in the next days...

I really like the interview, it gives some interesting and unusual answers and hey, an acoustic album sounds pretty cool! ;)

Sorry for my bad English! I'm 16 years old and just finished school and besides from school lessons I didn't have the opportunity to practise English a lot so far....but I try to improve :)

Have fun with the interview!

Cheers,

Tabea :)

Your English is fine, lol. Thanks for posting. The translation was a bit spotty, but I could catch his general meaning.

And Jessica, I'd vote for you honey, but it'd probably cancel out the votes I am casting for myself, lol!

Well, I took the Google translation and fixed some wrong translations in it...I hope I didn't forget anything so that you all can understand the whole article easily without having to put two and two together ;)

The British band Muse stands for bombastic rock first quality. This coming Sunday, 14 July, they play in the "Waldbühne". In the interview, frontman Matt Bellamy talks about his highlights of the past few months and the future of the band.

Man-eating pyramids, a fireworks display of LED screens, pyrotechnics and rock bombast of course first quality - with their open-air gig this Sunday (July 14) at the Berlin “Waldbühne” Muse want to offer their audience a lot. Not without reason, the trio has just been voted by readers of the British music magazine NME of "most exciting live band ever." In the interview, Muse frontman Matt Bellamy (35) told by Rockstar gestures, father fears, red carpets and the future of his band.

Mr. Bellamy, Brandon Flowers has bet me around 100 euros that the latest Killers album sold better than "The 2nd Law" by Muse. Has he won?

I do not know. But I'll bet you 200 euros, that Muse have sold in Paris alone more tickets than the Killers on their entire European tour, haha!

What was your muse highlight in the last 12 months?

Where should I start? The appearance at the Olympic Games in London last summer was nerve-racking and a really big deal for us. To be at the Q Awards honored as the "Best Band in the World" was amusing. And we were surprised to have been nominated twice again at the Grammy Awards, so we did not expect.

Muse have won countless awards for their live shows. What are your plans for your concert in the Waldbühne this Sunday?

For the open air, we need to put something extra, that is clear. Especially for Berlin, because the Waldbühne is such a beautiful venue. Our show will be an incredible spectacle, so much I can say. There will be fat rock moments and this time we have also something that sounds softer and quieter. This has a bit missing from the tour for the last album.

Your fiancée, Hollywood actress Kate Hudson, said in a recent interview that you can not believe that the Matt on the stage is the same person as the private man.

I can absolutely understand! On stage I'm bonkers and full of emotion that makes me do this crazy rock star stuff. The lanky Matt acts there probably larger than life! Privately, I am less heavy on it, affable and quite considerate way.

Do you perceive the audience at your gigs?

Not initially, since you are still with yourself, and very focused on the music. But the longer the show runs, the more you open yourself. You have fun. You see people. And you begin to interact. There is something very Purist to stand on a stage. And it's the best feeling ever! Because you live in the moment and not thinking about past or future.

Supposedly you keep the record of 140 smashed guitars!

I've heard of it, but I can not believe it. I think the number 140 for a gross exaggeration!

What happens after the open air on for Muse?

The aftermath will be a phase for the three of us to think about doing something completely new. We have met our record deal with Warner over six albums. This may also be a chance in the future to bring out something in another way - detached from albums. And musically it could mean something very minimalist, almost making acoustic. This is perhaps the last stone, which is still missing in our mosaic.

You're kidding: Muse with acoustic guitars in the club?

Well, it would at least be interesting to try it!

You are running this year also in some movie premieres with your fiancé Kate Hudson on the red carpet. Do you feel well about that?

Meanwhile, yes, because I've gained a lot of good suits! (Laughs) Our jobs are so different, and I like it to be together with Kate when she has her big moment. I can stay in the background and support them. That's a nice feeling, because usually I’m in the limelight.

How do you find it to be shown with her more often in gossip magazines?

This is infinitely embarrassing! Every time I think: I hope no Muse fan gets to see it! (Laughs)

This can be certainly difficult to avoid.

True, but Kate and I are getting better, deal with it. At the beginning the paparazzi volume was enormous. They were everywhere: Before the airports, in the pedestrian zones, and made me even once in pajamas photographed in the garden behind my house in London! But the big hype is over. Slowly it becomes more relaxed.

Do you know Kate Hudson's film "How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days"?

(Laughs) I have seen only a half hour away. I just flipped through the TV channels and said to Kate: "Look, there you are," And she said, "No, no, do that away, that's terrible." She's always uncomfortably of her films. But I could persuade her to half an hour - and that was scary! Should we ever separate us, I know what I’ll need to take.

Do your fiancé like the music of Muse?

Yes, of course. She loves to come to our concerts and all the trappings. She has fun with it.

With "Madness" you have a love song written for Kate on the current disk. Are you becoming bored now?

No, that will not happen. I think my music is ever born in a peripheral zone of my brain that lets me be crazy and is responsible for conspiracy theories and apocalyptic predictions in our songs. This side of me has not changed much. But there are added new personal elements that give our songs, more humanity. I now also write songs that are honest, as for me and my feelings, and do without masquerade.

Sounds like the song "Follow Me", which is currently heard in the movie "World War Z", so like a lullaby?

Well, that's the song that was most influenced by the feeling of becoming a father. In the first weeks, where a baby is very fragile, you have many fears: That's enough of sudden infant death up to the fear of doing something wrong. I've left it all out in this song. At the beginning of the song my baby's heartbeat can be heard. I have added the beat with my iPhone when my son Bing was still in the belly of Kate. Only when I heard the sound of his heartbeat, I caught on that there was a new person coming into my life.

Your English is fine, lol. Thanks for posting. The translation was a bit spotty, but I could catch his general meaning.

And Jessica, I'd vote for you honey, but it'd probably cancel out the votes I am casting for myself, lol!

I didn't see this til now. It's the thought that counts. :happy:

How do you find it to be shown with her more often in gossip magazines?

This is infinitely embarrassing! Every time I think: I hope no Muse fan gets to see it! (Laughs)

This can be certainly difficult to avoid.

True, but Kate and I are getting better, deal with it. At the beginning the paparazzi volume was enormous. They were everywhere: Before the airports, in the pedestrian zones, and made me even once in pajamas photographed in the garden behind my house in London! But the big hype is over. Slowly it becomes more relaxed.

Thank you for the translation! It really helps.

:LOL::facepalm: Poor Matt!

It's a shame that Matt is wrong... The Killers sold 60-70k tickets only with the Wembley gig :chuckle:

He probably is. Eventhough Stade France sold out for both nights with a capacity of 80k per night.