2013.07.14 - Waldbuhne, Berlin, Germany

Lazlo

I was in Berlin in September going to the Berlin Festival to see The Killers, and it surprised me how easy it was getting around THE WHOLE city by public transport!

Therefore, don't be afraid of it might being a bit tricky getting around only by train. I highly recommend you to buy a 2-day-ticket or whatever they're called on one of the stations, so you can use the U-bahn and S-bahn system ... it's working spot on!

Don't use taxi ... it's a city with a lot of traffic and it'll just rip you off considered to the train-system.

I don't know anything about hotels or companies. A friend of mine has an apartment in Charlottenburg, 10 min. from the venue :) But still, the venue is in West-Berlin, just don't be afraid of booking a room in the area a bit out of Berlin ... the trains cover them all!

See this: http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17103/name/Underground.html for more information about them, and if you see in the right it says More Information and Downloads, then save the "Network of S- and U-bahn" ... great and useful map! :)

Thanks for the info :) not decided on area we will stay in yet, but the train routes and transport look great. Will def be booking an apartment I think as I'm vegan and friends vegetarian and just diagnosed coeliac so will need to be careful with eating out.

So looking forward to this holiday/concert:)

Oh and my ticket arrived this morning!!! Can't get over that - booked online from UK on Saturday morning and Tuesday morning it arrives at my front door:D

Flights all booked too - £79 return including free baggage allowance. Going for 6 days :dance::party::musesign:

Oh and my ticket arrived this morning!!! Can't get over that - booked online from UK on Saturday morning and Tuesday morning it arrives at my front door:D

Flights all booked too - £79 return including free baggage allowance. Going for 6 days :dance::party::musesign:

Yep delivery is amazingly speedy - but it should be, at that price!:rolleyes:

Wow £79 flight is incredible price :eek: - who did you book with? ...jammy you, going 6 days :) wish I could *sigh*

Going with Lufthansa from Birmingham which is a 40 minute drive from my house. Saw the £79!flights and unlike the budget airlines they include 23kg checked in luggage which is great. Seen parking for £23 there or got family 10 mins drive from the airport with parking if needed.

This is my summer holiday and also its mine and my friends I'm going with 40th birthday next year so we said we'd go abroad. Just a shame my friend does not like Muse!

Can anyone tell me how the "seating" allocation for this show works? Obviously everyone will have General Admission. Is it simply "first come, first served" for the floor area? Once on the floor, can I leave and return? I'm flying from Australia and have never been to this venue. I don't want to get stuck in the stands...

A fellow Aussie here who's going to this show!

I'm pretty sure it's just general admission, so it's first come first served for the standing area at the front. I'm not sure if you can come and go from the standing area though, it looks quite small compared to the seating areas and they might have a limit on how many people can be in standing area.

Any Germans here who have been to this venue before?

I was there at a concert this year.

As you guessed: first come first for the standing and the lower seats. The security made stamp marks on your hands to allow you to enter the lower area (just one kind of marks for both standing and lower seats). But you had to arrive really, really late (long after doors) for not getting such a stamp. Once you had your stamp, you could leave and come back whenever you wanted. There's no barrier between the standing area and the seats, so you can even change between standing and sitting during the concert if you like (as long as there's space).

From the photos I've seen I reckon the view would be great higher up with the forest in the background. I won't go until late afternoon as my friend who I'm going to Berlin is not a Muse fan so bit unfair to head to the venue too early.

I was there at a concert this year.

As you guessed: first come first for the standing and the lower seats. The security made stamp marks on your hands to allow you to enter the lower area (just one kind of marks for both standing and lower seats). But you had to arrive really, really late (long after doors) for not getting such a stamp. Once you had your stamp, you could leave and come back whenever you wanted. There's no barrier between the standing area and the seats, so you can even change between standing and sitting during the concert if you like (as long as there's space).

Thanks for the information InvincibleMoni. It's exactly what I was looking for.

My flight arrives at Tegel at 4pm, so I could be at the show around 5pm. Hopefully I can still get a stamp for the floor then.

Also coming over from the UK for this show as I cannot make the UK dates. Suprised how quick the tickets came, would never get that here with Seetickets!!

Also doing the £79 return on Lufthansa from Birmingham, nice and cheap and easy to get to! Saturday to Monday - lovely stuff.

Got to sort a hotel next - any recommendations from Berliners for places that are close to bars/restaurants & tourist areas?

Also coming over from the UK for this show as I cannot make the UK dates. Suprised how quick the tickets came, would never get that here with Seetickets!!

Also doing the £79 return on Lufthansa from Birmingham, nice and cheap and easy to get to! Saturday to Monday - lovely stuff.

Got to sort a hotel next - any recommendations from Berliners for places that are close to bars/restaurants & tourist areas?

Those Lufthansa Brum flights are fab value - we go Thu to Tues and Brum is 45 min drive which is good. We only have accommodation to find but have changed search from hotel to apartments as my friends just been diagnosed coeliac! We will look to stay in the city centre I think. Looks like loads of hotels - I looked on booking.com and prices are really good. We are not rushing to book as so many hotels and apartments there. My next jobs sending off for my new passport!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got trip dates agreed with OH, and am going for a long weekend Friday to Monday :D so flights booked - alas not as cheap as Birmingham. :( But hell (a) I reckon I can balance it out long term, with cheap eurostar train when I go to Paris, and (b) it will be an early birthday present to myself and © ... what the hell it's Muse. In a FOREST. IN BERLIN!! *all common sense goes out the window* :D:logic:

Got to sort out hotel now... Am so excited about this. The only downside is that my friend has decided not to come after all. So I will be on my own...an explorer in an unknown land! :$:unsure:

The only downside is that my friend has decided not to come after all. So I will be on my own...an explorer in an unknown land! :$:unsure:

I'll be going to Berlin on my own as well. My plan is to get there early-ish on saturday. If you want, we can join forces for some sightseeing on saturday and queuing on sunday. :happy:

I'm going on holiday to Berlin with a friend but she's not into Muse so I will go to the actual gig on my own. I'd probably be looking round the city on Sunday and would head over mid-late afternoon to the concert. I've not booked accommodation yet as we will be going self catering as friends coeliac and it will be easier but I booked flights earlier to get the £79 return price.

I'm going from the Thursday to the Tuesday:D

The only downside is that my friend has decided not to come after all. So I will be on my own...an explorer in an unknown land! :$:unsure:

Same here.

Driving from Denmark early Sunday morning, chill around in the town at noon (I have to make my own Ritter Sport in the store at Französische Strasse again! :D) and then take a train to the Waldbühne and enjoy my first Muse concert. Going to be a quite nice day! :awesome:

• 4 weeks later...

Lufthansa have totally changed my flights for Berlin & I'm not happy!

I'm going Thu/Tue and my outward journey moved from 2pm to 7.40pm & return to 9am.

I'm going to see if they will swap us to non direct flights but not sure if they will allow this.

This is Birmingham to Berlin - know a few others have these flights on different days so might be the same for you!

Archived