2013.07.14 - Waldbuhne, Berlin, Germany

Lazlo

Lufthansa have totally changed my flights for Berlin & I'm not happy!

I'm going Thu/Tue and my outward journey moved from 2pm to 7.40pm & return to 9am.

I'm going to see if they will swap us to non direct flights but not sure if they will allow this.

This is Birmingham to Berlin - know a few others have these flights on different days so might be the same for you!

That is some change! You could probably ask for a refund and book with someone else for a direct flight?

I need to speak to my friend who's going with me - I think they might let us alter to one of the 1 change flights with them, which is better times but much longer each way. No other direct flights with Lufthansa.

Think they are the only option from Birmingham.

I'll check sky scanner tomorrow for other airports but reluctant to change from Lufthansa as the return flight was £79 and includes free 23kg hold baggage and 10k of carry on which other airlines charge about £40 in July for.

Really don't want to arrive that late as we will be booking an apartment (miles easier with me being vegan and friend being coeliac) most apartments charge a fee for late check in especially as we'd not get there until 11.30/12.

Imagine if anyone's flying on the Sunday and the flight altered to evening from early afternoon - you'd miss the concert!

Lufthansa have totally changed my flights for Berlin & I'm not happy!

I'm going Thu/Tue and my outward journey moved from 2pm to 7.40pm & return to 9am.

I'm going to see if they will swap us to non direct flights but not sure if they will allow this.

This is Birmingham to Berlin - know a few others have these flights on different days so might be the same for you!

Yup this has happened to me too - twice. My flights (Fri-Mon) are from Heathrow so not cheap in the first place. I also decided to pay a bit extra and booked civilised times both ways. The other week Luftwanker changed the return journey to an earlier time, which was a pain but ok. Yesterday I got an email changing BOTH flights to really early in the morning! :eek:

Bugbears:

(1) these were the cheap times when I made the orig booking, so they are giving a lesser service :mad:

(2) I had booked the outward time so I could see dawt off to school, then set off. The new time completely clashes with that. Argh.:(

(3) Their timetable is completely screwed for Berlin - it's like they are hardly doing any flights at all for these dates! So not many options...

(4) Getting a refund is all very well, but getting another set of flights booked with someone else is a nightmare - I did a quick check this PM and I could end up using 4 different airports, and waiting around for hours! Not to mention, the costs have all gone up, so I are am faced with paying more. NOT HAPPY.:mad:

Going to get hold of Luftwanker ASAP :fear:

Sounds like your being messed about more than me:rolleyes:

We are not impressed with our new times I'd gone with Lufthansa as they are flying from my nearest airport, was £79 return and they include for free 23kg baggage which saves the costs of other budget airlines. My friend will need to take food with her as she's coeliac and we are going for 6 days so we got a great price deal.

We were going to book an apartment but if we now don't arrive until so late that might be an issue, but always a way round that.

They are showing other daytime slots but changing flights in Germany, I don't mind that longer option as I love flying and the whole airport thing but not sure if they will swap us.

I'll phone them next week see what they say but if they won't alter flights we will just have to work round it - what we might do is see if they can swap us to the late flight the night before and book a cheap hotel at Tegel airport.

This is my summer holiday so don't want to totally lose 2 full days with these new flight times!

Just hope if we do swap flights they don't later things again - this is about the 2nd change but the other one was about 5 mins!

Does seem strange the lack of UK to Berlin flights. Hope this isn't causing other people any problems. I know flights can change and don't want to grumble as I've got such a good price and have always found Lufthansa really good, and I reckon they might well let me swap about a bit even with economy seats.

I'm lucky that its in the college holidays so I can be really flexi with times/dates and can swap/add annual leave as needed, my friend who's going will of lost her job by then and could be in a new one so might not be as flexible with days.

Argh Alit, seems like you've been stuffed considerably too!

Yeah I saw a few stopping flights too (on other sites as well). I don't really fancy kicking my heels around for more than an hour though. Also, I need to be back in time for dawt collection on the Monday, so timing is crucial.

What REALLY concerns me is they keep reducing flights, not just minor tweaks to the timetable. Am a bit worried that they will suddenly announce they're not doing these flights at all!!:eek:

Positive note: when I warned OH about the early times, he just shrugged and said "I guess I'll be getting M off to school, then." :D He's finally got used to my travelling for Muse!:LOL:

Still might give Lufthansa a ring, and find out WTH is going on...

I hope we don't get the flights cancelled that would be a right pain. Me and my friend have decided not to book the accommodation as yet as I'm not convinced about the flights yet, until I speak to them.

Does seem strange the lack of direct flights given its Berlin. I think if they cancel a flight they might be obligated to offer an alternative with another carrier.

Will ring them next week for a chat to see what can be altered/is the situation.

I'm hoping to fly with Lufthansa as the price was so good and they are a good airline - as long as they don't keep altering these flights. If we have to stick with the new flight times we will just book a hotel at the airport for when we fly in and if needed for the night before that early flight back.

I'd ring them tomorrow but might get more answers Monday during office hours.

Wonder how many tickets they have sold for this concert? I know its not sold out.

Good news spoken to Lufthansa and they agree that due to the big time difference they can offer either a refund or alternative flights.

It appears for reasons unknown that its only the Thursday we booked to go that has altered to a evening flight. We have been offered either the day before or day after on a new flight which is 10.35am.

Now that's a better time than the original flight.

On the way back we have been offered connecting flights via Frankfurt or Dusseldorf in the afternoon or we can swap to a different day but only direct flight is 9am.

I've said I'll speak to my friend and ring them tomorrow to re book.

Good customer service from Lufthansa, he did say its highly likely the flights may change again but if they do they will re book us onto what suits us best. He also mentioned there would be complimentary drinks and snacks for us on the flights including alcoholic ones!

Its a good job I can be flexible at work with my days - I've got to be In for new students summer school on the Tuesday but hoping I could get the Wednesday off if needed.

So might now end up with an extra day in Berlin!

So I'm pleased with such a good level of customer service as we had booked economy seats but I felt as if they dealt with my call as if I was a business customer.

Wonder how many times this flight might change yet!!

I'd give them a ring and see what they can sort out for you as I found them very helpful.

I guess all those flight problems and the lack of flights to Berlin are due to the new Berlin airport, which should have openend months ago, but for some reasons (mostly stupidity of the people involved in planning and building the airport) they had to postpone the opening of the airport several times. So companys like Lufthansa and the other Berlin airports are of course affected by that and have to change schedules, because they won't be able to use the new airport as they once had expected....

You know, German politicians are VERY good at messing up when it comes to new buildings.... :rolleyes:

Good news spoken to Lufthansa and they agree that due to the big time difference they can offer either a refund or alternative flights.

That's cool. However, I can't really extend my trip another day, and the new times don't work for me. :( I don't want to spend half the day in airport, waiting for connections - and I have to get back Mon to collect dawt from school. So I decided to stick with my latest reservations...

Good customer service from Lufthansa, he did say its highly likely the flights may change again but if they do they will re book us onto what suits us best. He also mentioned there would be complimentary drinks and snacks for us on the flights including alcoholic ones!

:(:eek:

I guess all those flight problems and the lack of flights to Berlin are due to the new Berlin airport, which should have openend months ago, but for some reasons (mostly stupidity of the people involved in planning and building the airport) they had to postpone the opening of the airport several times. So companys like Lufthansa and the other Berlin airports are of course affected by that and have to change schedules, because they won't be able to use the new airport as they once had expected....

You know, German politicians are VERY good at messing up when it comes to new buildings.... :rolleyes:

Yes, but my flights were/are with Tegel airport, not the new one. So surely they could just keep/go back to the old timetable? It's not that Lufthansa have shifted flights, they seem to be doing LESS.

Oh well I think I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. And book a hotel room with a last-minute cancellation policy, in case everything falls through...:unsure::rolleyes:

My flights are Tegel airport too - the new airport has not been built yet - they started it but I believe there has been a mass of financial issues and issues with government there so there are still the 2 small airports trying to cope with all the flights that they though would move to the new super airport. If the new airport had been opened then Tegel would be closed by now. I'm surprised how flexible Lufthansa have been with me considering I'd booked the economy rate flights and it said no alterations were possible.

I've not booked accommodation yet, will look for an apartment where we have a max of €100 between us as deposit and the rest on arrival. I can't move the flights much more as I can't get e Tuesday off work. Just glad we can be flexible as the students I support have finished and we can take leave then.

I'm still trying to find out how many tickets have been sold for this but can't find anything online.

Going to this gig, but still thinking how I should go.

By train is 120 euro's return ticket (if the information is correct, because on bahn.de it's 200 euro for a single ticket!) Departing on sunday morning and arriving at 2 am, so it's a reasonable time.

By plane is 100 euro's but the flight is on friday so I have 2 more extra days so more costs. (I've been a several times to Berlin so sightseeing is not a must for me anymore)

Is the German railsystem reliable or are they well known for delays? (I know a delay can always happen) in other words is it a huge risk to travel on sunday morning with an expected arrival at 2 am? I travel from Viersen to Duisburg and from there to Berlin

By train is 120 euro's return ticket (if the information is correct, because on bahn.de it's 200 euro for a single ticket!) Departing on sunday morning and arriving at 2 am, so it's a reasonable time.

By plane is 100 euro's but the flight is on friday so I have 2 more extra days so more costs. (I've been a several times to Berlin so sightseeing is not a must for me anymore)

Is the German railsystem reliable or are they well known for delays? (I know a delay can always happen) in other words is it a huge risk to travel on sunday morning with an expected arrival at 2 am? I travel from Viersen to Duisburg and from there to Berlin

From what I've heard the German train service is a really good one. I'd suggest asking on the Berlin forum on Trip Advisor as they seem to have all the answers there and lots of posts about train travel. Think doors open from 4pm?

Would travelling by train the night before be an option and book a cheap hotel/hostel room - I'm sure there might be a Muser meet up on the Saturday night.

Here in Germany it's common sense that our railsystem is kind of the worst thing in the world, but really it isn't that bad. I travel quite a lot by train and usually you arrive on time or only some minutes late. Still, delays happen, but more than half an hour would be really rare.

Tickets always go on sale 92 days prior to your journey. If you book early, you should be able to get a "Sparpreis" (a special offer) which would be much cheaper, maybe 49€, 39€ or even 29€ for a single journey (when I went from Hamburg to Amsterdam in December, I paid less than 30€). I'm not sure if there's a difference in those offers if you book from outside Germany, but surely there shouldn't be? :eek:

Here in Germany it's common sense that our railsystem is kind of the worst thing in the world, but really it isn't that bad. I travel quite a lot by train and usually you arrive on time or only some minutes late. Still, delays happen, but more than half an hour would be really rare.

Tickets always go on sale 92 days prior to your journey. If you book early, you should be able to get a "Sparpreis" (a special offer) which would be much cheaper, maybe 49€, 39€ or even 29€ for a single journey (when I went from Hamburg to Amsterdam in December, I paid less than 30€). I'm not sure if there's a difference in those offers if you book from outside Germany, but surely there shouldn't be? :eek:

Thank you (also to Alit).

Arriving a few minutes later or even an half hour/hour late in Berlin will be no problem. It's the same as in The Netherlands so I'm a bit used to it. Though a delay of a few minutes between the trainstations could result in missing the next train, but checking the timetables it results in arriving at 3 am instead of 2 am so no reason for panic

I think I'm also going to consider Alit's option (travel on Saturday). A much safer option if the price is reasonable and more important it also cools down the stress.

• 2 weeks later...
Arriving a few minutes later or even an half hour/hour late in Berlin will be no problem. It's the same as in The Netherlands so I'm a bit used to it. Though a delay of a few minutes between the trainstations could result in missing the next train, but checking the timetables it results in arriving at 3 am instead of 2 am so no reason for panic

sometimes, if a train is delayed, the connecting train will wait for passengers to arrive with the delayed train. so chances are, even if you are delayed by a few minutes, you might still catch your connecting train...

I'm here with a paranoid question waaay in advance :LOL:

For anyone who’s been to the place before: I’m used to venues not allowing professional cameras, but I happened to read on the website that all cameras are forbidden…?!

But it must be possible to get them in and use them anyway, because there are many amateur videos of the place on YouTube, so do you just have to be very sneaky or what…? :D

(Also, that would mean a LOT of confiscating, since as you know practically everyone has a camera phone these days ^^)

I'm here with a paranoid question waaay in advance :LOL:

For anyone who’s been to the place before: I’m used to venues not allowing professional cameras, but I happened to read on the website that all cameras are forbidden…?!

But it must be possible to get them in and use them anyway, because there are many amateur videos of the place on YouTube, so do you just have to be very sneaky or what…? :D

(Also, that would mean a LOT of confiscating, since as you know practically everyone has a camera phone these days ^^)

Yes, I think it says that at almost every shows with big bands. I have a Lumix TZ-20 and I have never experienced any confiscating or lifted eyebrows from security in the door or during the concerts I have went to with Rammstein, The Killers, Coldplay, Green Day etc.

So, I think they the "no camera- or audio equipment allowed AT ALL!" is to scare people and make the them leaving their cameras at home to focus and attend more in the show. :)

I'm affected by the flight changes as well, not too bad. Going early the Saturday - think they only moved it by an hour or so to 9am, but coming back Monday is now 9am instead of 13.30, so that's going to be a killer after the show!

I'm affected by the flight changes as well, not too bad. Going early the Saturday - think they only moved it by an hour or so to 9am, but coming back Monday is now 9am instead of 13.30, so that's going to be a killer after the show!

Yep my return flight is about that time - maybe we'll see each other (bleary-eyed) trying to wake up at the coffee stand! :rolleyes::LOL:

That happened to me but they altered my flights back from 1.30pm to 9.05am but when I phoned they moved me to a 4.50pm flight back which suits us better - I'd be awful with a 7am check in!

That happened to me but they altered my flights back from 1.30pm to 9.05am but when I phoned they moved me to a 4.50pm flight back which suits us better - I'd be awful with a 7am check in!

Ahh afternoon flight is civilised - but I needed to be back in UK way before then...yeah not looking forward to early check-in :eek:, but might be able to do that online, if I can get hotel with wifi :) ...I did a 7am flight from Dublin last year - didn't seem worth getting any proper sleep so stayed up, and just dozed until collected by taxi at 5am. Was absolutely knackered - but it was worth it (Muse gig) :D

I could move mine back to but I think the only direct flight to Birmingham is 9am, all the others require changes and I really can't be bothered with that.

I'll just have to leave my hotel about 6am and be done with it :LOL:

I'm staying at the Ibis Styles Mitte, looks good from TripAdvisor reviews.

Yep the Birmingham flight moved back from a civilised 1.30pm or something to 9am. We are going for a week and are in no rush to get back and like flying so we decided to go back via Dusseldorf - does take longer but means we can have a last leisurely morning in Berlin then head to the airport after lunch.

This said I'd not be surprised if Lufthansa alter the flights again - they have warned me its highly likely:rolleyes:

Archived