Muse on ticket prices in Gigwise

CarrieB

As for the American side, I paid the exact amount for this ticket as I did for the TR tour.

Honestly, the $60 range is just about a normal average for any show at the particular venue... with things like Justin Bieber, GaGa and Springsteen being higher (sometimes twice as much) and several "smaller" shows being about $10 less.

Anything much "smaller" would be cheaper, as it would be at a non-arena venue.

If the band cut back the stage show, I have a feeling the tickets would be cheaper because they were in smaller venues. At least here. A lot of the "hype" surrounding Muse (what exists) is that they put on these elaborate shows. I think people would be disappointed if they didn't do something like that every time.

I'm pretty broke, but going to 2-3 concerts a year isn't a terrible strain on my budget, and really there's just not that many more bands I'd like to see. Last year, I was even paying $20-30 to see bands in what were pretty much corners of bars... I found that to be more ridiculous.

I take WAY more offense to the $20 PER TICKET I was charged for some company to stuff two tickets in an envelope at the venue.

yeah honestly, I think the egrarious fees on top of ticket prices are what hack me off the most.

The actual ticket price for my seats in Vegas was $39. With fees and taxes, it turned out to be more than $50. Which, for a show of this level of production is still really reasonable compared to similar bands. I think if there weren't so many middle man type companies wanting a cut of the profit, we'd have cheaper tickets.

I wonder how much of the increase in prices is due to increase in fuel costs. I hear they've got 15 trucks hauling stuff...

In fairness, drinking at gigs isn't exactly something you MUST do. ;)

The whole industry is a lot more corporate though than it has been in the past. I was listening to the Tech Weekly podcast today and they had a guy from Songkick on. They had just recently done a "where should they play?" feature with Hot Chip, which proved to be quite popular. On the podcast, the guy from Songkick said that their manager told them this was a good thing to do since, because of the way that the industry is set up now, towns and cities that aren't as profitable as London, Manchester and so forth get left behind. They've just announced that they're planning to do something similar with Andrew Bird but this time on a larger basis (a whole tour in South America). There's more about it on Wired.

On a semi-related note, I think Biffy Clyro have got the arena touring thing just about right and I'm glad that there's one band/promoter that isn't prepared to fleece people to such a greedy extent.

Yeah all of this is true

Then Muse should get their egos in check. Having all this production is great, but when I'm having to shell out an extra £25 quid for it, then do one.

And I bet the cost in production across the whole tour doesn't account for the huge difference in total tour revenue.

I'm the only person on this board who thinks maximal production is better than minimal apparently. Needs moar lazerzzzz

I saw Sucioperro and Freeze The Atlantic on Sunday for £6. They've both released incredible albums this year. There's some amazing music about and some incredible gigs, you just need to look and take a chance.

Our smallest venues do minimum £15. Unless they are playing 45 minute sets for small charity gig.

Prices seem more reasonable in the US. I think my Florida tix are only about $5 more than last tour. When you consider it costs about $25 just for one person to go to a 3D movie and get popcorn and a drink, I'd say $65 (about 40 GBP) for a Muse gig is reasonable. I def. feel more ripped off at the movies! I do get pissed off by the Ticketmaster/vendor fees of upwards of $12, though. Ridiculous!

Agreed, tickets for the show I'm going to cost around 50GBP at final. I think 65GBP would be ridiculous.

Wonder why the prices are so different?

Also I went to a 3D movie once, and never again after having to pay almost double the price for some shitty glasses that didn't show anything.

I paid £37.50 for a stadium show in 2007. I paid £65 for an arena show in 2012.

This simply doesn't compute.

I paid about £30 on a TR arena show in 2009, how much was it now again, £62-ish?

Doesn't compute with me either, wondering how much the stadium shows will be. I can't remember how much exactly standing tickets were for U2 in Cardiff, but I don't think it was even this much?

It would be nice if tickets were less but as Max has said, they have sold out so why would they charge less?

I wouldn't mind the price so much if they played a few more places. A UK tour used to mean loads of dates now we're lucky to get a handful. This pushes up the overall cost of attending... but of course we still do it. This Bloody Band! ;):LOL:

PS My first Muse ticket was £8 :LOL:

It would be nice if tickets were less but as Max has said, they have sold out so why would they charge less?

I wouldn't mind the price so much if they played a few more places. A UK tour used to mean loads of dates now we're lucky to get a handful. This pushes up the overall cost of attending... but of course we still do it. This Bloody Band! ;):LOL:

PS My first Muse ticket was £8 :LOL:

Holy crap just £8. I know, I know, I'm guilty in helping to sell out, but I cannot not go see Muse, damn me only getting into gigs from 2009 onwards. I'm stuck with less gigs at increasing prices. Yay, we got ourselves an expensive passion :awesome:

I think there's two different things here, whether the band are overcharging, taking into account their overheads, which it seems they are not from what Chris says, and what value fans place on seeing them perform.

Personally I think the ticket prices are fine. Yes it adds up with trains etc, and it's not something that can be done frequently, but I think, considering that Muse are such a massive band now, in comparison to other forms of entertainment, it is still reasonable.

For a fan who gets to see them two or three times at the most each promotional period it's not exactly breaking the bank.

And I think that they do their best to put on a show worthy of the ticket price. In fact I will probably get bashed for this, but I know I would pay more if I had to (as long as I could afford it) because I don't think of them as a commodity on which I could put a price.

Why aren't Muse touring more in the UK such as they were in 2006 and prior? It's made the tickets wayyyy overpriced and also has meant less fans actually being successful in buying them.

Also, if they cost £££ because of the production; then take away some of the LEDs and pointless effects.

I suppose Muse are a big name so we're paying 'for the label'. I wouldn't mind the extra £££ so much if the sets were longer than 1 1/2 hours...

Does the UK really need that many gigs?

The number of UK gigs seems pretty small to me, but I understand they are in demand in other parts of the world as well. They can only do so much. And it's fair that they like to get a bit of downtime as well.

Tbf to us, $60 works to about £45, so in real terms we are getting charged more.

I think this is an expensive country to do anything, not just gigs - some Premier League football clubs charge £65 for matches, and there's various other events that charge similarly massive fees for everything. Plus, in any case, there's more than just Muse to the ticket price - there's lots of backroom people fitting the stage who need paying, there's the cost of designing, constructing and getting all the shit around, venue rental, insurance costs, all other sorts of expenditure, and that's even before the case of actually paying the band.

I'm not justifying it - I ideally think it could be at least £10 lower, and there's probably some expenses that could be chopped off. But I can see how the expenditure comes out. Plus in terms of the number they play their timing could include 2 more UK gigs, possibly.

Not that I can talk - I'm paying £35 for my ticket. I don't care if its rear-view as it's still £8 cheaper than in 2009 and about the same price I paid for 2 gigs at the same venue in 2011, and from the looks of it I'm not missing out on too much.

Nope. California needs more! :awesome:

And I'm fine with the ticket price. It feels like I've been paying the same $60 rate to see bands for years now.

I think they play more than enough US gigs and California alone is about the same size as the UK. Travel isn't cheap either considering gas hit $5 here last week.

Maybe there's some factor I'm unaware of.

I paid £37.50 for a stadium show in 2007. I paid £65 for an arena show in 2012.

This simply doesn't compute.

Yes it does. Allowing for inflation the stadium show ticket would probably cost around £43 today. I know that's a lot less than the £55 I've paid to see them on this arena tour but given an attendance of 80,000 a stadium show would generate revenue of approximately £3.5M. An arena show will generate about £1M. A bigger audience therefore allows a band to charge less and still make more money.

Back in 1975 I paid just £2 to see Led Zeppelin at Earls Court; £2 was about 3% of average weekly salary, today's ticket price of £55 is about 10% of average weekly salary. On the face of it you could argue that on this basis Muse may well be profiteering but you have to take into account that unlike yesteryear most bands don't make that much money from album sales due to the free availability of material online and they need to look at live shows to generate income. Also you have to consider all the costs associated with staging their shows.

Obviously I'd like to pay less to see the band but in my opinion, all things considered they won't be making an obscene profit.

I think they play more than enough US gigs and California alone is about the same size as the UK. Travel isn't cheap either considering gas hit $5 here last week.

Maybe there's some factor I'm unaware of.

I was thinking that the cost of travel for the band and transporting the stage set and equipment and crew would be a big factor, especially driving the long distances around the USA. It takes quite a number of semi's to transport that type of stage set, and that's going to cost a LOT in fuel.

Originally Posted by forevermusic

Tbf to us, $60 works to about £45, so in real terms we are getting charged more.

Yeah, they're probably using our higher priced tickets to fund US lower priced tickets. ;)

But it doesn't end up being just $60 for a ticket here. My ticket for the Oakland (California) gig was $73 to begin with, plus a service fee for a total of $79, and I got my ticket through the .mu pre-sale. Those who got tickets through Ticketmaster paid a higher service fee.

GA tickets through Ticketmaster were:

US $69.50 Ticket + US $17.80 Fees = US $87.30

But it doesn't end up being just $60 for a ticket here. My ticket for the Oakland (California) gig was $73 to begin with, plus a service fee for a total of $79, and I got my ticket through the .mu pre-sale. Those who got tickets through Ticketmaster paid a higher service fee.

GA tickets through Ticketmaster were:

US $69.50 Ticket + US $17.80 Fees = US $87.30

Even at $80, or even $90, it's still less than what they're charging in Europe. 65GBP is over $100

Because there's more money in touring in America than in the UK/Europe?

There's not much difference in terms of gigs per area.

First off, saying Muse plays "every state in the US" is just far from true... They don't even hit all of the major cities. There's more ground to cover, but they definately don't get everywhere even a lot of US-based bands hit.

I suppose there's the potential for more shows, but the prices are driven more by what they can get across the board... Sure, they sell out CA and NY, but there's still GA tix available to some of the shows. It's highly uneven.

So, prices need to be kept at a level where the majority of the areas tickets will sell... without prices being $80 in one area, and $30 in another.

Also, from what I'm reading, they're playing 20+ songs in Europe?

We were getting less than 18 in the US, with some areas being as low as 13-15, from what I was hearing. (Some of that due to venue curfew, I guess.) But, the shows are not really equal. :(

Besides, sadly, there's just no where near the amount of USer who would pay $100 to see Muse (Justin Bieber and Springsteen prices) that there are overseas. :( $60 is actually considered quite cheap as far as "big" shows go.

Archived