Muse on ticket prices in Gigwise

CarrieB

I'm confused by this:

Like The Rolling Stones' gigs at London's O2 Arena in November, Muse's latest string of dates are 'all-seated' events.

Does that just mean there are seats at every venue? Cos I'm certainly not sitting at any of the gigs I'm going to :phu: lol

Muse ticket prices are reasonable enough for the show you're getting. They could probably be greedy and raise the prices and STILL sell out the shows, but I'm glad they don't think like that. I'm surprised Olympic organisers didn't get as much of a bashing for selling tickets for £1,500 at the ceremonies! I know that's a shitload of production expense, but that's a bloody ridiculous amount!

Ah, I posted this in the tidbits thread, but I'll let this thread open since it might generate some conversation about ticket pricing. I am glad they're aiming to keep their tickets reasonably priced.

I'm confused by this:

Does that just mean there are seats at every venue? Cos I'm certainly not sitting at any of the gigs I'm going to :phu: lol

Yeah, I take it that's a mistake. :LOL:

I only paid 50 bucks for my seated tickets to Las Vegas. Considering I have paid $180 to see (band which shall not be named here), I'd say their prices are really reasonable.

And 65 bucks for floor tickets is not unreasonable in my mind, either, especially considering the production of the show.

I am quite satisfied with what I paid.

Including fees, etc, £65 for a ticket is an absolute rip-off. I saw Muse eight years ago, all fees and postage included, plus two considerably higher profile support bands than we get these days, for £25.

First Wembley Stadium gig just five years ago wad only £37.50. Inflation isn't THAT harsh!

Rip off merchants extraordinaire.

Including fees, etc, £65 for a ticket is an absolute rip-off. I saw Muse eight years ago, all fees and postage included, plus two considerably higher profile support bands than we get these days, for £25.

First Wembley Stadium gig just five years ago wad only £37.50. Inflation isn't THAT harsh!

Rip off merchants extraordinaire.

So are you suggesting that Chris is lying when he says that they don't always break even? Perhaps the cost of hiring venues has gone up or something. Plus Muse probably spend more on the the production of their shows than eight years ago.

Of course there can be an argument of whether that is worth spending but people seem to be enjoying it this time round at least.

I'm not pointing the finger at the band. But it's bullshit to suggest any gig is worth £65. You can go to festivals for less than that. A day at Reading is only £80!

I daresay the cost of venue hire and production has gone up but not everyone has double the amount of money in their pockets to make up for that.

Like sport, music is in serious danger of pricing fans out.

I think it's been a justifiable increase in prices over the years, although £65 is pushing the upper limits of what I would be happy to pay.

I only paid £17.50 the first time I saw Muse, but I'm willing to bet that along with the cost of the stage, arena hire etc, the size of their crew has doubled or tripled since then. All of those people need to be paid a fair wage for the length of the tour.

Cost and worth are two completely different things though, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Six years ago, in the space of a week, I saw my two favourite bands - Muse for £40 and Amplifier for £5.

The gulf between the two shows was just staggering. By paying the prices we do for arena gigs, and I'm as guilty as any, we've allowed prices to double, if not triple, in the last few years and now promoters can basically charge what they want.

Look at those two Stones gigs next month - tickets from £90 to £375! Absolutely mental.

Well to be honest Clunge (I don't know your name sorry:( ), I paid £20 for a DJ set at the weekend there which I would have paid £10 tops a few years ago so prices have almost doubled over a few years. And if you compare it to football, would you rather see 2 top-flight football matches or a Muse gig? I'd definitely go for the latter. Despite being football daft.

Yes prices are ridiculous but venue hire, equipment hire, transport etc... also. A gig is a treat now, I don't understand people who go to gigs every week.

Prices seem more reasonable in the US. I think my Florida tix are only about $5 more than last tour. When you consider it costs about $25 just for one person to go to a 3D movie and get popcorn and a drink, I'd say $65 (about 40 GBP) for a Muse gig is reasonable. I def. feel more ripped off at the movies! I do get pissed off by the Ticketmaster/vendor fees of upwards of $12, though. Ridiculous!

I go to an awful lot of gigs so I'm accustomed to the rise in ticket prices, but even I was shocked at how expensive these Muse gigs were. I would expect an O2 Arena gig to be around £30-50 at the moment depending on the band, and the £50 plus tickets would be for stadiums with very large productions. Obviously Muse (well whoever sets their prices anyway) know their gigs will sell out very swiftly, so can afford to bump up the price a bit and still manage to sell them with ease.

The prices of Muse tickets are a joke. It's got alot more to do with the greed of the band than it does with the venue costs.

Biffy have just announced an arena show and are charging £29.50 a ticket. Same venues, almost half the price.

The prices of Muse tickets are a joke. It's got alot more to do with the greed of the band than it does with the venue costs.

Biffy have just announced an arena show and are charging £29.50 a ticket. Same venues, almost half the price.

I hate to be obvious but the stage production is far less.

And basically the tour managers have decided the ticket price and Matt has gone "is that the lowest you can make it?" and they have said "Yes" and he has thought nothing more of it. Yes they could easily be £15-20 cheaper, probably.

Yes prices are ridiculous but venue hire, equipment hire, transport etc... also. A gig is a treat now, I don't understand people who go to gigs every week.

Not if you go to small gigs...

I'd argue that greed of the promoters has a lot to do with the ticket prices of the Muse gigs. Then there's also the money that the venues make from the shows and all the corporate sponsors that inhabit the arenas. The money from shows, big or small, never all goes to the band.

EDIT: I don't want this to be read as a defence of the ticket prices. I think the prices are a joke...but you all bought them, so the promoters won't be pushed to drop the prices for future shows. Why would they when the gigs are selling out?

Not if you go to small gigs...

I'd argue that greed of the promoters has a lot to do with the ticket prices of the Muse gigs. Then there's also the money that the venues make from the shows and all the corporate sponsors that inhabit the arenas. The money from shows, big or small, never all goes to the band.

EDIT: I don't want this to be read as a defence of the ticket prices. I think the prices are a joke...but you all bought them, so the promoters won't be pushed to drop the prices for future shows. Why would they when the gigs are selling out?

Cheapest gig I've seen in recent times for a band I like is £20. I then had 4 pints at the gig which cost a further £20. It's the whole gig industry. It's a bloody shambles. This is the first proper gig I've been to since November because of that reason.

Cheapest gig I've seen in recent times for a band I like is £20. I then had 4 pints at the gig which cost a further £20. It's the whole gig industry. It's a bloody shambles. This is the first proper gig I've been to since November because of that reason.

In fairness, drinking at gigs isn't exactly something you MUST do. ;)

The whole industry is a lot more corporate though than it has been in the past. I was listening to the Tech Weekly podcast today and they had a guy from Songkick on. They had just recently done a "where should they play?" feature with Hot Chip, which proved to be quite popular. On the podcast, the guy from Songkick said that their manager told them this was a good thing to do since, because of the way that the industry is set up now, towns and cities that aren't as profitable as London, Manchester and so forth get left behind. They've just announced that they're planning to do something similar with Andrew Bird but this time on a larger basis (a whole tour in South America). There's more about it on Wired.

On a semi-related note, I think Biffy Clyro have got the arena touring thing just about right and I'm glad that there's one band/promoter that isn't prepared to fleece people to such a greedy extent.

I hate to be obvious but the stage production is far less.

And basically the tour managers have decided the ticket price and Matt has gone "is that the lowest you can make it?" and they have said "Yes" and he has thought nothing more of it. Yes they could easily be £15-20 cheaper, probably.

Then Muse should get their egos in check. Having all this production is great, but when I'm having to shell out an extra £25 quid for it, then do one.

And I bet the cost in production across the whole tour doesn't account for the huge difference in total tour revenue.

I saw Sucioperro and Freeze The Atlantic on Sunday for £6. They've both released incredible albums this year. There's some amazing music about and some incredible gigs, you just need to look and take a chance.

Archived