Muse on ticket prices in Gigwise

CarrieB

Even at $80, or even $90, it's still less than what they're charging in Europe. 65GBP is over $100

So maybe their tickets are about $10 more. It's not that much difference. It's hard to compare, penny to penny, across currencies, and the relative costs/values of goods/services between countries as well. I lived in England for awhile and realized while there that I had to stop thinking in terms of how much something would cost in terms of American dollars because it just didn't equate.

There were slight differences in prices for the US gigs, too. The Oakland gig was a bit more expensive than most of the other US gigs that went on sale at the same time.

It probably reflects the local costs for the venues and lots of little factors and relative costs of anything pertaining to each metropolitan area that the tour will visit. For example, places like the SF Bay Area, NYC, London -- these are cities where everything and anything are more expensive than anywhere else, so a rock concert would be too.

First off, saying Muse plays "every state in the US" is just far from true... They don't even hit all of the major cities. There's more ground to cover, but they definately don't get everywhere even a lot of US-based bands hit.

I suppose there's the potential for more shows, but the prices are driven more by what they can get across the board... Sure, they sell out CA and NY, but there's still GA tix available to some of the shows. It's highly uneven.

So, prices need to be kept at a level where the majority of the areas tickets will sell... without prices being $80 in one area, and $30 in another.

Also, from what I'm reading, they're playing 20+ songs in Europe?

We were getting less than 18 in the US, with some areas being as low as 13-15, from what I was hearing. (Some of that due to venue curfew, I guess.) But, the shows are not really equal. :(

Besides, sadly, there's just no where near the amount of USer who would pay $100 to see Muse (Justin Bieber and Springsteen prices) that there are overseas. :( $60 is actually considered quite cheap as far as "big" shows go.

Last tour, the # of songs (excluding jams, Nishe, etc) ranged from 16-18 and most were 17. There may have been a couple of 15 song crap gigs. But this was true of the UK/Europe arena gigs too iirc. The few stadium gigs over there were a few more songs, but there were only a few of those. So yeah, now that they're playing 20-21 song sets now, I'm guessing they will do the same thing in the US since they'll be using the same stage and visuals. If they don't, I will be extremely angry.

Last tour, the # of songs (excluding jams, Nishe, etc) ranged from 16-18 and most were 17. There may have been a couple of 15 song crap gigs. But this was true of the UK/Europe arena gigs too iirc. The few stadium gigs over there were a few more songs, but there were only a few of those. So yeah, now that they're playing 20-21 song sets now, I'm guessing they will do the same thing in the US since they'll be using the same stage and visuals. If they don't, I will be extremely angry.

I will be extremely angry too...

I mean, if they still think they haven't 'conquered' America, maybe they need to throw down here a bit more, longer sets and don't play a conservative set list.

I guess what I meant to say more succinctly before, too, is that I don't think the little ticket price fluctuations here and there are just for the heck of it. I'm sure there is a practical and economic reason and I don't think it's to fleece the fans.

Really hope they've gotten out of the mindset that the US is just full of casual fans and that they need to only focus on gaining popularity.

I'm hoping that MAYBE, possibly, the fact that they've spent so much time in the US lately has cured them of that notion.

I'm hoping that MAYBE, possibly, the fact that they've spent so much time in the US lately has cured them of that notion.

I'm still annoyed about last year when they decided to drop their 20 song set from Russia with Soldier's Poem, CE, TaB, and Megalomania with a 15 song 90 minute set.

If they keep up the style for the European arena tour though it could be very awesome.

I'd say they are focused on playing in most American states

Maybe I interpreted that wrong.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for a 21 song show, so I'll just be pleasantly suprised if it does happen.

Even the relatively unknown bands I've seen in the last few years have gone from doing 2 hour sets to 60-90 minutes, and that's in bars and tiny venues.

Maybe I interpreted that wrong.

Yeah most isn't all.

Although I do see the point, even with the amount Muse tours here (this includes both legs) it still leaves a lot of states and cities out.

It would be ridiculous if they tried to play every major location, I don't expect them to do that. They're going to leave a lot of people to have to travel long distances to see them, or not at all. I think that's where I get confused about lack of UK gigs since I don't see many complaints about the band not playing 5 gigs per state or something.

Prices I can agree are :noey: though.

I'm not pointing the finger at the band. But it's bullshit to suggest any gig is worth £65. You can go to festivals for less than that. A day at Reading is only £80!

I daresay the cost of venue hire and production has gone up but not everyone has double the amount of money in their pockets to make up for that.

Like sport, music is in serious danger of pricing fans out.

This. I certainly haven't been able to go this time. I've not been to any gigs this year, apart from the ones I've played, and I've just got tickets to see three bands this autumn./winter for under £20 each. So, that's what I'll be doing as a music fan. Certainly been priced out of ever seeing the bigger bands, who I'd still love to see. I know gigs are where bands make their money these days, but we just can't pay that much.

I remember when Wembley Arena was £16. :awesome:

Also - compare it to other forms of entertainment - the cost of a night out. A night at the cinema now is £10-15. So imho £20-30 for a gig/show/concert is reasonable, a night out watching 2-3 bands - s'alright, that - even if you factor in booze and dinner and transport, you could feasibly keep it under £100. But £65 for a night out where you won't be able to see what you've paid to see, you can't go outside, you have to wear a plastic wristband and generally get treated like cattle - you could see two shows at the West End for that. And that's without all the extras like £30 t-shirts you could make yourself for £3, drinks over £5 each...

It's getting to the point where Muse can charge as much as they want, and

Sadly it looks like they will.

I guess you didnt't read the original story at all? The whole point was that they are keeping the cost as low as they can. Although obviously Chris is just lying, they are greedy assholes, etc.

I think it's weird that first people refuse to pay for a band's albums, opting to download illegally. Then, when the whole logic of the music industry is changing (money is made in touring/merchandise instead of album revenue), people then complain that tickets for gigs are getting more expensive. Well, duh. A band that is loved by millions deserves to make money from the music they make, imo. Besides, Muse isn't charging any more than any band in their caliber.

I wouldn't pay £150-> to see Muse, or any band, but if that day comes, I'll probably curse them in my mind but acknowledge that it's perfectly fine for them to charge that. Bands that do that generally tend to shoot themselves in their leg anyway, when suddenly the crowds are full of corporate guests and older,more affluent people who don't really care about any new output by the band. It's usually the tired greatest hits tours by that point, anyway.

I guess you didnt't read the original story at all? The whole point was that they are keeping the cost as low as they can. Although obviously Chris is just lying, they are greedy assholes, etc.

I think it's weird that first people refuse to pay for a band's albums, opting to download illegally. Then, when the whole logic of the music industry is changing (money is made in touring/merchandise instead of album revenue), people then complain that tickets for gigs are getting more expensive. Well, duh. A band that is loved by millions deserves to make money from the music they make, imo. Besides, Muse isn't charging any more than any band in their caliber.

I wouldn't pay £150-> to see Muse, or any band, but if that day comes, I'll probably curse them in my mind but acknowledge that it's perfectly fine for them to charge that. Bands that do that generally tend to shoot themselves in their leg anyway, when suddenly the crowds are full of corporate guests and older,more affluent people who don't really care about any new output by the band. It's usually the tired greatest hits tours by that point, anyway.

This.

Though hopefully with Muse's philosophy they will never get to the point where they are charging extortionate rates just because they can. As you say the whole point of the original article is that they are doing their best not to do that.

Yes, I did read the original story. No, I don't believe every word that comes out of their mouths. Just because other bands are charging that much, it doesn't make it right.

Chris can try and justify the prices and claim they're doing all the can to keep them 'affordable' but the tickets are still extortionate. clearly it's going wrong somewhere.

Read the article a few days ago but just saw this thread. Have ticket prices increased? I actually thought they've decreased, maybe because I bought for a different venue this year. Plus I paid less in convenience charges for the Muse U.S. presale than I did for the standard Ticketmaster sale. My ticket came out to about $71, whereas the ticket I bought for my friend from Ticketmaster was $81. :eek: But seeing the stage set-up for this tour, I find the costs reasonable. I'm even surprised that Muse are able to keep costs this low.

Still, I don't mind cheaper gigs with less production. Lasers, rising platforms, big screens, etc. are nice and all, but stage presence and music are most important to me when I'm at a gig.

they played 19 songs at the gig I went to in 2010 which isn't too bad I guess. but after all the 20 song sets they've had in Europe so far, it wouldn't be right of them to play fewer songs at American venues. :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah most isn't all.

Although I do see the point, even with the amount Muse tours here (this includes both legs) it still leaves a lot of states and cities out.

It would be ridiculous if they tried to play every major location, I don't expect them to do that. They're going to leave a lot of people to have to travel long distances to see them, or not at all. I think that's where I get confused about lack of UK gigs since I don't see many complaints about the band not playing 5 gigs per state or something.

Prices I can agree are :noey: though.

It's CLOSE, though. :LOL:

I can personally attest to the fact that Muse skipped more states near me then they played... and that attributed to the fact that I only got to go once.

Yes, I did read the original story. No, I don't believe every word that comes out of their mouths. Just because other bands are charging that much, it doesn't make it right.

Chris can try and justify the prices and claim they're doing all the can to keep them 'affordable' but the tickets are still extortionate. clearly it's going wrong somewhere.

How on Earth are they "extortionate" prices when attending a music gig is hardly anything that is in any way necessary to your essential or even secondary, tertiary needs to function as a human being? No one is forcing you to pay for a concert in the same way a company can force you to pay for water/food items´/medicine/health care.

How on Earth are they "extortionate" prices when attending a music gig is hardly anything that is in any way necessary to your essential or even secondary, tertiary needs to function as a human being? No one is forcing you to pay for a concert in the same way a company can force you to pay for water/food items´/medicine/health care.

I agree again. Though I suppose that music can also be a very important part of peoples' lives, and it's sad when some are excluded from activities that others can take part in. But that's the world we live in I'm afraid.

We need to try and go out and change the world :LOL: rather than bicker at Muse based on unrealistic expectations of what we are entitled to experience in this one.

They are not a charity, so as much as they might not want to make their prices so high that the average person is unable to see them perform as one of their luxuries, they are not obliged to be affordable to everyone. The only way they could do that incidentally would be to perform for free.

Archived