Niall

Some time in the very near future will be removing the Social Groups and Friends features from the Muse message board.

Unfortunately the social groups do not have the moderation tools we normally use for keeping the board spam free and therefore in light of the prolific use of this area of the board by spambots, and very little use by regular members, we will deactivating it.

The largest group using this function has already been informed, and we would like to extend the invitation to any group that wishes to continue to move to Love Boat by creating a new thread there for it. If so, please do this as soon as possible as we are looking to make the changes next week.

We also plan on removing the Friends feature, although this will be open to discussion. If you can justify why it is a useful feature on the board please say so below and we'll consider retaining it. :)

The Muse Messageboard staff

Is there any particular reason for removing the friends feature?

No point having a feature if no one wants it - we were just putting the idea out there to see what people thought.

I'm guessing they're doing everything they can to lighten the load for Muriel.

Muriel got her insides updated a few days ago, got some more RAM, so let's hope that helps her. Seemed to cope okay with the latest round of ticket sales anyway.

I'm guessing they're doing everything they can to lighten the load for Muriel.

We should just ban half the board instead.

Actually on that note do you guys delete accounts for inactivity?

We have approx. 4000 regular users (2761 now but that fluctuates) yet over 400 000 members. Not sure if that takes a toll on the server though.

We should just ban half the board instead.

Actually on that note do you guys delete accounts for inactivity?

We have approx. 4000 regular users (2761 now but that fluctuates) yet over 400 000 members. Not sure if that takes a toll on the server though.

There's no point in that really, they take up a tiny amount of hard drive space each. It's the actual number of people using the board at any one time that are of concern, and it's just a matter of making sure we have the bandwidth and hardware to deal with it.

This whole social groups thing is just because it's become infected and we need to amputate it. It's the appendix of the Muse board.

There's no point in that really, they take up a tiny amount of hard drive space each. It's the actual number of people using the board at any one time that are of concern, and it's just a matter of making sure we have the bandwidth and hardware to deal with it.

This whole social groups thing is just because it's become infected and we need to amputate it. It's the appendix of the Muse board.

But still shouldn't every little thing help. I mean just lop off 100 000 members.

"Owner of most active social group on .mu"

I noticed this in your sig a few days ago. Sprung to mind when I started reading the message about closing the groups.

Yeah. Well, it was most active before the spambots moved in.

The amount of spam is absolute insanity, jesus :LOL:

Hundreds of discussions with thousands upon thousands of messages.

:LOL::noey::facepalm:

^exact reaction

Mm that's a point, if the feature is removed the previous private content might be public again or have to be deleted, and neither seem like things we should do.

Yeah, there's probably content which is only meant for the friends. Also isn't Invisible Mode based on friend feature.

Archived