Ultimate Guitar - Muse Threatened to fire bassist over boosing

Marinator

Muse have revealed how they once threatened to fire bassist Chris Wolstenholme if he didn't overcome his drinking habit.

The revelation comes shortly after their set at the iTunes festival, which you can see in the player below.

Wolstenholme managed to keep his alcoholism secret from the band for years as he "wasn't a nasty drunk" - but finally went public with his problem in 2009 after a meltdown on April Fool's Day:

"Everything I should have dealt with in the previous 10 years suddenly hit me in the face. There are some things I regret", said Wolstenholme at the time. "There are probably moments I should have enjoyed more than I did and that's a bit upsetting. With the mess I was in you don't feel any intense emotion any more".

Drummer Dom Howard said the band didn't realise there was a problem until they started counting how many drinks Chris got through on-stage.

"For some reason he could still play the bass, even though he was sh-tfaced", Dom told NME. "He was drinking on stage. I started counting how many drinks he was having during the set and I could see him getting more and more glazed. By the point we came off stage he'd be f--ked. It just got too weird".

Dom and frontman Matt Bellamy gave Chris an ultimatum "a few times", but ultimately stayed together.

Dom continued: "Chris now says things like, 'I can't believe they put up with me for 10 years'. Which is true. I can't believe we did. But we did. I've always believed in band integrity and sticking together".

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/muse_threatened_to_fire_bassist_over_boozing.html

Yeah, he's clean as a whistle.

I just wonder if they've talked about is as friends, rather than pure professionally.

I think they would have spoken about it more as friends than as 'artists' so to put it :LOL:

I'm really happy for Chris, he looks healthier than ever. Unbelievably slim now, good on him :happy:

Did anyone on this board ever realise how srs it was? Cos I remember articles started going on about it loads last year and I thought it was exaggerated bullshit but then it seems to be like the main selling point of T2L like omgz they're still together.

I still feel like they haven't completely fixed things yet.

If you look at the making of vids for T2L and some recent non-staged photographs and interviews, it's always Matt and Dom together and/or Chris alone, even if all three are in the same room together they arrange themselves that way.

A3vXaz3CEAADDtw.jpg:large

What about the Explorers making of video? That's Matt and Chris together. And on Big Freeze, it's Chris and Dom. And on another one, perhaps Unsustainable (?), Chris talks to Matt about some of the orchestra tapping their feet.

I consider the opposite, that in fact Chris appears to be with Matt and Dom more than I've ever seen. Which is great :D

What about the Explorers making of video? That's Matt and Chris together. And on Big Freeze, it's Chris and Dom. And on another one, perhaps Unsustainable (?), Chris talks to Matt about some of the orchestra tapping their feet.

I consider the opposite, that in fact Chris appears to be with Matt and Dom more than I've ever seen. Which is great :D

Yeah, I'm not saying Chris was left out of the recording process. I was talking about casual fun moments. It's just a bit more awkward when Chris is around. Matt and Dom seem like they're way more comfortable around each other.

Ohhhhhhh these kind of headlines really piss me off for obvious reasons.

And it's natural for Matt and Dom to seem to get on better than with chris, chris has been absent in spirit for years due to alcohol and was out of many interviews probably due to this and Matt and Dom were in the year above him at school and were in a band together before he joined, AND he's always had a big family which probably left him out of the kinky parties they used to have :ninja:

Any little thing like that makes it understandable. But no way would they have 'threatened to fire him'

But no way would they have 'threatened to fire him'

I wouldn't bet on that. They say they gave him ultimatums. What would the consequence be if not that?

Obviously that he's still in the band despite several of these ultimatums shows that they didn't have it in them to go through with it, but I would not be surprised at all if a firing was on the table as just talk at the very least.

Did anyone on this board ever realise how srs it was? Cos I remember articles started going on about it loads last year and I thought it was exaggerated bullshit but then it seems to be like the main selling point of T2L like omgz they're still together.

I thought it was pretty exaggerated until Chris said that he couldn't remember recording The Resistance :LOL:

I wouldn't bet on that. They say they gave him ultimatums. What would the consequence be if not that?

Obviously that he's still in the band despite several of these ultimatums shows that they didn't have it in them to go through with it, but I would not be surprised at all if a firing was on the table as just talk at the very least.

It's the way it is worded. I don't think for a minute Matt and Dom would have 'fired' Chris. More like said, none of us can go on any more if you don't sort yourself out

I think it's absolutely possible they threatened to "fire" him... If for no other reason as to get it across to him how serious they were about what he was doing.

I've (sadly) been to a few interventions for friends... and we were absolutely encouraged to tell the person we were going to break off contact with them if they didn't get help, if that's how we really felt.

Sometimes a big shake up like that turns the corner for the person, or at least gets people away who might be enabling them.

Any way you look at it, it's a sad situation I'm happy is over (for Muse.)

And, after 10 years, it's probably like they are getting to know him all over again... that's a hell of a long time.

It's the way it is worded. I don't think for a minute Matt and Dom would have 'fired' Chris. More like said, none of us can go on any more if you don't sort yourself out

When I see your pic, all I can see before me is Dom saying "You're fired" (think The Apprentice) with that face

Archived