Also jfc it was the 80s (and late 70s). You don't think the standards for production has changed since then? The only reason we accept songs like that is because we know it's from the 80s. And I know loads of people who can't stand the very dated sound.

Production really means nothing and is massively over exaggerated in terms of importance.

No.

Record production can be anything from writing, recording and mixing all the songs on an album to just advising and coaching artists during their recording process.

That's why we can have these endlessly unsatisfying discussions, without a clear definition of "production", none of us know what the hell we're talking about.

Looking through his discography it's very rare to find a song above 5 minutes and there's not a whole lot above 4 minutes. Then compare that to John Leckie who has quite a few long songs under his belt and Mutt Lange who has even more proportionally.

This argument would hold more weight if he wrote the songs.

Although I can't think of a single album on his portfolio that I like, I'm not too concerned about this producer news, as that's more of a reflection on the artist. The producer's job is to help find the artist's desired sound, and if Muse think Mutt is the man for the job, so be it. What does worry me is Matt's apparent fascination with classic rock - a sound I'd really hoped we'd moved on from. My excitement probably has been tempered a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In pretty much every genre I can think of there's examples of good stuff that's highly produced and lowly produced (mostly metal, soul, blues, many rock genres and punk off the top of my head), but that's really not relevant to what I was actually trying to say. Please understand that the point of my post was to suggest that production in music is completely irrelevant if the underlying music is garbage. That Little Animal does make a good point though, production can be a whole world of things. I still reckon that the song-writing is by far the most important aspect, but it does depend on other factors to the extent of the importance.

And the comment about loving the songs just because of the decade they're from is not very true, well, I don't really think that's true at all. A great song is a great song, regardless of when or where it's from.

NSC had a separate producer.

Nirvana's producer even.

It was so raw :\mm/:

Oh man that collision was so raaaww

it kinda hurts actually

In any case, interesting news. I guess they got him as producer because of his work with AC/DC, so my guess is that Muse are going to incorporate elements of classic rock into the album. Hope this goes well. :LOL:

Although I can't think of a single album on his portfolio that I like, I'm not too concerned about this producer news, as that's more of a reflection on the artist. The producer's job is to help find the artist's desired sound, and if Muse think Mutt is the man for the job, so be it. What does worry me is Matt's apparent fascination with classic rock - a sound I'd really hoped we'd moved on from. My excitement probably has been tempered a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As a big classic rock fan I'm not sure when muse have ever done anything classic rock styled, so I'm really not sure what your on about when you say they need to move on from!

Even as a classic rock fan I don't want muse to release a classic rock album but I would love a classic rock influenced album as based on the what they did with sign 'o' times, they could really take the genre in to the 21st century and push the boundaries at lot more.

As a big classic rock fan I'm not sure when muse have ever done anything classic rock styled, so I'm really not sure what your on about when you say they need to move on from!

Even as a classic rock fan I don't want muse to release a classic rock album but I would love a classic rock influenced album as based on the what they did with sign 'o' times, they could really take the genre in to the 21st century and push the boundaries at lot more.

I'm not saying that Muse needs to move on from classic rock, I'm saying that society (italics for drama) does.

Pretty much. I can think of a few examples of more commercial producers doing a good job on heavy albums, at least with regard to the overall sound.

NSC had a separate producer.

Nirvana's producer even.

It was so raw :\mm/:

They didn't have Nirvana's true producer, they had Nirvana's sellout producer. Then again, Steve Albini produced that Bush album which was basically a poppier and much worse In Utero.

The point is that, although there a few producers whose presence would make me extremely excited, I'm not overly fussed about this news.

I'm not saying that Muse needs to move on from classic rock, I'm saying that society (italics for drama) does.

Why though, there are a lot of genres of music that I'm not keen on but I wouldn't say that society needs to move on from any of them. Everyone has there own taste as long as people find something they like and understand that others might not like it that's fine with me! The reason that society has a thing for classic rock is because a lot of people like it and others like to thing back to the music they listened to when they were younger but I'm not sure anyone needs to move on though.

Archived