Unsustainable just lacks oomph. The riff is really, really weak, annoying and squeaky.

I'm hearing the opposite :LOL:

Also surprised by the Follow Me adoration. I love it, but it hasn't become one of my top tracks on the album yet. I need to re-listen. I love the Nero production and Matt's voice is amazing but I need to hit 'repeat' to fully appreciate it.

It's a shame because the strings in Unsustainable are probably the best of the album. The part between the two robot sections is magnificent. The drops are too underwhelming though :(

It still has good live potential

Yea, i think Unsustainable had huge potential. I'm completely okay with having the drops, but the drops are just underwhelming and repetitive. I remember hearing the 1st drop and thinking it wasn't too good but the second one will obviously be better. But the second drop was almost the same as the first one.

I don't consider it a dub step song so the poor drops don't bother me.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The drops are still a huge part of the song.

The song ISN'T dubstep, that doesn't stop it from focusing on the drops. Dubstep isn't the only genre with drops you know

So after a day of listening I'll do my brief track by track review people are doing. Some of them grew on me slightly from horrible to decent over night lol. So here we go.

Supremacy - 8/10. Would be a 10 for me if they multi-tracked the guitars and used a different heavier tone (like MK Ultra's heavy riff). Writing wise the song is a 10 but the production killed it for me. Just like Unnatural Selection. Also the horns were over done. Don't like the little horn bursts before the 2nd Supremacy wail.

Madness - 6/10. The ending is great as are the vocals. But to me this song is just embarrassing.

Panic Station - 7/10 Just hilarious and so much fun. Its a guilty pleasure but I'll admit its great.

Prelude - not really a song but its beautiful

Survival - 8//10 Yeah the lyrics suck but the music is awesome.

Follow Me - 8/10 Just awesome. Don't like dubstep but that bass sounds awesome in the chorus. When the track titles and descriptions came out I had this pegged as an embarrassing pop song.

Animals - 9/10 Best song on the album overall probably. Not as good as Supremacy but at least the production doesn't harm it.

Explorers - 6/10 Just mega disappointing. Piano ballad like blackout?? Yes please. But instead its quirky piano song that sounds like a disney movie. Its the IBTY of the album. Not bad just disappointing.

Big Freeze 6/10 Cool solo and chorus but this is a U2 song sang by Matt. The end.

Save Me - 7/10 Awesome song on the album. Very atmospheric. Bit too long though. Love his voice.

Liquid State - 5/10 Horrible. Easily the worst song. Just nothing interesting happens. This is why I don't like bands like Breaking Benjamin and 3 days grace. Nothing exciting ever happens in their songs its just straight forward rock.

Unsustainable - 8/10 The orchestral bits and the middle section are amazing. They carry the song past the mess that it is on its own.

Isolated System - 9/10 This song is just awesome. Gave me goosebumps on the first listen. Long enough to build up with the right pacing. Just wish it had some vocals to it.

It's a shame because the strings in Unsustainable are probably the best of the album. The part between the two robot sections is magnificent. The drops are too underwhelming though :(

It still has good live potential

I still don't see the whole 'underwhelming' thing. It doesn't sound like it's lacking to me. The strings bit is huge, so I can get that between the two that part is much bigger, better etc, but the dub-steppy drops don't drag it down, imo.

I still don't see the whole 'underwhelming' thing. It doesn't sound like it's lacking to me. The strings bit is huge, so I can get that between the two that part is much bigger, better etc, but the dub-steppy drops don't drag it down, imo.

Compare it to some electronically done wubwub :LOL:

Agreed! And so glad you love it! :happy: Those are my least favorite 2 as well. I've not listened to Unsustainable in a few weeks, so I'm interested to see how I feel about it in the context of this album. I was still a little luke warm on it last time I checked, but it was def. growing on me.

I've always liked Survival and Unsustainable, but when I heard Madness I just thought "Oh shit, this does not bode well"! How wrong I was, thankfully! :LOL:

So Chris and Dom have both said that their favorite song on the album is Supremacy. If two thirds of the band favor the same kind of Muse that most of us do, why do we only get 2, maybe 3 songs like it now?

Dammit, Matt.

I highly doubt that Dom and Chris would have agreed with the other songs if they didn't like them.

So Chris and Dom have both said that their favorite song on the album is Supremacy. If two thirds of the band favor the same kind of Muse that most of us do, why do we only get 2, maybe 3 songs like it now?

Dammit, Matt.

Chris wrote 2 tracks, Dom introduced them to the music that inspired Follow Me and Unsustainable.

That's 5 tracks at LEAST that isn't just "Matt's fault".

Night all - it's been fun sharing the first listen with y'all. I can't believe just how much I'm loving it.

Here's hoping it lasts.

Don't worry, the usual moaning and hating will resume in about a month :p

Nah, it's early days but I think we're onto a winner. I don't think it'll drop from being my third fave album.

Night!

Archived