Is that a polyrhythm in the closing riffs? I'm digging the 5/4 and Eb and that would just put the icing on the cake. Easily my favourite song composition-wise.

So it would be better if a certain technique is used, whether or not it actually sounds better? :wtf:

When I first heard it, I got a Blue Oyster Cult vibe off of it (but of course, I got a Rod Stewart "Forever Young" vibe off Big Freeze, so what do I know?), and when I was trying to distinguish the lyrics, I thought it was about the paparazzi.

Regardless, it's such mellow perfection building into unexpected chaos, and I can't wait to see how their live performance of it evolves.

I'm so ready to see this song live.

I am gonna be really bummed if they don't play it when I see them live. The song is the best thing I have heard from Muse since Map of the Problematique. I am so in love with this song over and over again. I didn't think it would be my favorite based on the descriptions ! :D

I am gonna be really bummed if they don't play it when I see them live. The song is the best thing I have heard from Muse since Map of the Problematique. I am so in love with this song over and over again. I didn't think it would be my favorite based on the descriptions ! :D

I remember the earliest description for the album calling Animals the 'darn squib'. I thought it was going to be terrible. What a tard of a reviewer.

I remember the earliest description for the album calling Animals the 'darn squib'. I thought it was going to be terrible. What a tard of a reviewer.

I think it was referred to as 'the damp squib' of the album by none other than Dominic Howard actually. I don't know if he means it in a bad way or not, I think it just means that it's not exactly fitting in with other songs on the record that are OTT, and it keeps the album reigned in.

It also shows that they can still make brilliant music as a three-piece (unless you count the keyboard loop throughout the song) rather than have a load of backing instruments like in other songs.

Gotta be dead honest, I don't understand the seemingly universal (well, universal amongst Muse fans) acclaim for this song.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely like it, but I don't understand everyone's sheer admiration for it. Maybe I've just not heard it enough.

A lot of people have been saying it reminds them of older Muse. I love the lyrical content and overall theme, and the guitar in the song is fantastic. It's pretty beastly live too, from what it looks like.

I have absolutely no problem with the lyrics. These corporations and wall street investment bankers have profited from the rape and pillaging of countries, taking away people's homes, their belongings and gambling everyone's money and giving so little back. If there's anyone that deserves to be told to kill themselves, it's them.

Love the song. I only take offense to the lyrics with it coming from Bellamy (net worth $12 million). Not to mention he is with Kate Hudson ($38 million).

Just saying.

He's certainly painting the entire business world with a ridiculously broad brush. After all, Muse is a brand -- a business, and he is actively trying to grow his brand, conquer a country, and play increasingly bigger venues. Does he care that stadium venues from a fan's point of view are undesirable? (they are to me, anyway -- and everyone I've ever discussed it with) So, if one wanted to be a jerk, they could argue that Matt is both greedy and lazy for wanting more success, and more money while playing fewer, more concentrated gigs. Realistically, however, I seriously doubt money is a driver for him, but that can be said for LOTS of people who desire success in their respective businesses.

He should have pointed his finger at the true culprit, which is the orgy going on between rich corporations, Wall Street, and government.

All that being said, I love the song. It's the one moment of brilliance on the album. :)

"Animals"

Animal

You’re an animal

Don’t take anything less

Out of control

You’re out of control

Strike those in distress

Analyse

Advertise

Expand

Bend more rules

Buy yourself an island

Animals

We’re animals

Buy when blood is on the street

Out of control

We’re out of control

Crush those who beg at your feet

Analyse

Franchise

Spread out

Kill the competition

And buy yourself an ocean

Amortise

Downsize

Lay off

Kill yourself

Come on and do us all a favour

Small venues when you can sell out 50,000 in a few hours

So, you're saying it makes more sense to play stadiums because they can sell more tickets? My point is that it could be construed that Muse is greedy for wanting this. Sitting at the back of a stadium trying to see a teeny tiny band on a stage seemingly a million miles away just plain sucks. Quantity over quality sucks. Does Muse want to give fans a great experience? Or do they want to play fewer/bigger gigs and make more money? If it's the latter, then they're Animals. :chuckle:

So, you're saying it makes more sense to play stadiums because they can sell more tickets? My point is that it could be construed that Muse is greedy for wanting this. Sitting at the back of a stadium trying to see a teeny tiny band on a stage seemingly a million miles away just plain sucks. Quantity over quality sucks. Does Muse want to give fans a great experience? Or do they want to play fewer/bigger gigs and make more money? If it's the latter, then they're Animals. :chuckle:

Well what he's saying is that if they can sell out 50,000 in a few minutes, and they decide to play a 2,000 capacity venue, they're leaving out a bunch of fans. They'd have to play 25 nights at that venue to get the same amount of people that would go to the 50,000 capacity (stadiums are usually bigger than that too).

Archived