Not to spoil the joy of this song for you all or anything but... I think this song might actually be partially about 7/7. I mean "You've arrived at panic station" is the most obvious hint of it, but take a look at some other lines:

You won’t get much closer

Until you sacrifice it all

You won’t get to taste it

With your face against the wall

Get up and commit

Show the power trapped within

Do just what you want to

Now stand up and begin

Then of course there's the chorus:

Ooh, 1, 2, 3, 4 fire’s in your eyes

And this chaos it defies imagination

5, 6, 7, 8 minus 9 lives

You’ve arrived at panic station

Fire and chaos... A hint at loss of life... and of course, "panic station."

Certainly there's more than one way you can read it, but I think Matt may have been pulling a bit of a Pumped Up Kicks on us here, giving us something really dark with a fun beat and melody and having us obliviously dance around to it.

Not to spoil the joy of this song for you all or anything but... I think this song might actually be partially about 7/7. I mean "You've arrived at panic station" is the most obvious hint of it, but take a look at some other lines:

You won’t get much closer

Until you sacrifice it all

You won’t get to taste it

With your face against the wall

Get up and commit

Show the power trapped within

Do just what you want to

Now stand up and begin

Then of course there's the chorus:

Ooh, 1, 2, 3, 4 fire’s in your eyes

And this chaos it defies imagination

5, 6, 7, 8 minus 9 lives

You’ve arrived at panic station

Fire and chaos... A hint at loss of life... and of course, "panic station."

Certainly there's more than one way you can read it, but I think Matt may have been pulling a bit of a Pumped Up Kicks on us here, giving us something really dark with a fun beat and melody and having us obliviously dance around to it.

Oh yeah a nice dancey happy tune about brutal murders :rolleyes:

EDIT: Didn't read last sentence. Still though, I find it unlikely.

Oh yeah a nice dancey happy tune about brutal murders :rolleyes:

EDIT: Didn't read last sentence. Still though, I find it unlikely.

I'm not saying that's the only interpretation of it, but it might have that double meaning. There are hints of it. What does the phrase "panic station" mean in your reading of it, if anything?

Is it weird that I think this is actually one of the most "Muse-sounding" songs on the album?

I think so too. :LOL: Not sure what ti is.

Oh my god, I love how Matt pronounces "imagination" and all other "vocal gimmicks" in this song.

Imagination was my favorite word, too. :LOL:

Ah, can't stop listening to this. So damn groovy! :D

I'm not saying that's the only interpretation of it, but it might have that double meaning. There are hints of it. What does the phrase "panic station" mean in your reading of it, if anything?

Probably about people panicking about all the prices going up and stuff. Maybe a reference to the bonus army?

I might be in the minority here, but I'm not loving this song (though it's only my first listen). It's not because it doesn't sound like Muse - it's more that it just sounds like Muse paying homage to other artists.

Edited to say: On second listen, I'm liking the song more. I can get past the "funkiness" of it after the first 30 seconds or less to focus on the fact that it's a good catchy tune.

Archived