How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

The more I listen to this, the more annoying the choir gets. Really such a shame because all the other parts I cringed at first listen have grown on me already.

Yeah, Ive come to really like this song. That choir though, there's nothing that can save it.

I've seldom spoke in Muse Forum but at this moment it would be shameful to not do so

Although the "cheesy" side of the lyrics is questionable to many people(and me as well when I listened to it the first time), I think they are necessary in order for the song to be chosen as Olympics Theme song.

Before judging anything, I think it is important to understand what Matt, Dom and Chris had been craving for, it is the ultimate honor of a band that they want and need to receive.

After years and years of generations come and go, bands, no matter how famous they once was, got washed away very quickly. To avoid that, and to actually make it as a band and leave something behind, this is what right to do

I think through this success as they have officially became part of the Olympics, they will be able to stand side by side with their idols, Queen etc. No matter what we may think as their fans(and as those people who are in love of every era of them including or especially the early days), I'd say it's best to support their decision on our side and be happy for them as they will be recorded into the history.

Horrible lyrics. Horrible vocals. Mediocre music. Matt should just audition to be the vocalist for what Brian May and Roger Taylor are calling Queen these days and just be done with it. Stop disgracing the name Muse.

Horrible vocals? When the song kicks in that's probably one of his best performances.

It's hard to believe this song is by the same band that gave us those first 4 albums.

Actually considering their previous release was Neutron Star Collision I can believe it.

Horrible vocals? When the song kicks in that's probably one of his best performances.

Agreed. My own thoughts aside it's a very strong vocal performance by Matt.

The more I listen to this, the more annoying the choir gets. Really such a shame because all the other parts I cringed at first listen have grown on me already.

If it wasn't for the choir, this would be incredible. Sadly it's left me feeling a little deflated.

I'm still psyched for the album though! If they turn down the cheese it's musically very good, and to be honest showcases a heavy side to their music for the first time in years. Besides, I'm putting good money on most of the rest of the album featuring the electronica/groove/metal rumors we've been given. To be honest, I'd like to see this as Muse leaving the classical stuff behind, maybe not completely, but to a point where it isn't the focus of the song.

Although I was feeling a little deflated after the first listen last night (mainly due to the "Prelude" and that damn choir), I have listened to it on repeat for a good couple of hours and now find myself having some very positive things to say about it.

1) A very good strong vocal performance by Matt

2) The guitar is excellent.

3) Yes the lyrics are full on cheesy, but come on, this is the official Olympic song. Wouldn't exactly be fitting if he started wanging on about neutrons and galaxies.

I remain optimistic for The 2nd Law, but also feel that I should point out that this track was played on radio with a Prelude, which leads me to believe it'll be the first track on the album. In the spirit of Apocalypse Please & Take A Bow. Both were good songs, and this is a GOOD solid song (minus the choir obviously). The 2nd Law will be a great album. If it's not, I will eat my own shoes.

tried listening to it again and again and again aaaaaaand again. I still can't get into it :| I have tried, it's just balk. It gets epic for like a tiny bit then it just fwomps. I get it's for the olympics but it's just tooooooooooooooo olympic-y..

WINNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I don't get why everyone's hating on the choir. I really have no problem with it.

Personally, don't know about everyone else, I don't really like choirs in anything that isn't straight up choral music to begin with unless they're really well done. And this isn't. For the record I could just *barely* tolerate it in the trailer.

I still like the song overall, but my bias does keep me from enjoying it as much as I could.

Archived