How Optimistic are you about The 2nd Law?

Jimmyneutron

How Optimistic are you about The 2nd Law?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. How Optimistic are you about The 2nd Law?

• 1 - This will be the worst so far and I won't be buying it.
    • 2 - The album will be OK and I might buy it.
    • 3 - This album will be good but it won't stick with me for a long time.
    • 4 - This album will be great but probably not be my favourite.
    • 5 - This will be their best album so far.

I definitely like what I hear in the trailer, which makes me a lot more optimistic about the album than I was, but it's too hard to judge if it'll be a favorite or not on only 2 minutes.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly confident that one of those opening sounds on the trailer was made by someone whisking/beating eggs with a stainless steel kitchen fork in a glass bowl.

Could also be col legno.

If this album does turn out to be on par or even better then OoS/Absolution and the tour supports decently lengthened and structured setlists it will be interesting to see every one who has been doubting them change their minds.

There will be a section that will hate regardless. Haters gonna hate.

If this album does turn out to be on par or even better then OoS/Absolution and the tour supports decently lengthened and structured setlists it will be interesting to see every one who has been doubting them change their minds.

I'd absolutely love for that to happen. The thing is though, I don't want to get optimistic though because I know there's a very small chance of it happening. But if it does happen, I will be happy to said to all the optimistic people here, "you were right, I was wrong".

I'm more optimistic about it now then I was.

On YouTube I played a variety of covers of the piece (both on actual guitar and and on a Kitara), then played the trailer again, and it definitely does sound like a more organic piece and I quite like it.

But it remains to be seen what they've come up with.

There will be a section that will hate regardless. Haters gonna hate.

Interestingly a lot of people who are commonly seen as "haters" have actually been the biggest defenders/advocates of the direction hinted at in the trailer.

i think hearing a full song, and even better so NOT the one in the trailer will let me make a half-decent opinion. With that said, i'm currently sitting between "best album ever" and "one of the best". I've been listening to a lot of electronic music (say the past 4 or 5 years, the last couple probably equalling the amount of time i listen to rock music) and embracing some of that does intrigue me a lot. Does no one remember this classic number?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/p3qrrgobtZM

The best thing about a lot of electronic music for me is the mixing. It's usually really really good, if not a bit clinical when applied to rock. But it really does give the music some weight and maybe if muse get it right it will be heavenly. At least for me

i think hearing a full song, and even better so NOT the one in the trailer will let me make a half-decent opinion. With that said, i'm currently sitting between "best album ever" and "one of the best". I've been listening to a lot of electronic music (say the past 4 or 5 years, the last couple probably equalling the amount of time i listen to rock music) and embracing some of that does intrigue me a lot. Does no one remember this classic number?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/p3qrrgobtZM

The best thing about a lot of electronic music for me is the mixing. It's usually really really good, if not a bit clinical when applied to rock. But it really does give the music some weight and maybe if muse get it right it will be heavenly. At least for me

Muse have never seemed to be able to get mixing right in the past, even The Resistance (which I thought was pretty good at first) had some pretty dodgy mixing at some points so I don't really hold out much hope at all for mixing. I do agree with you on a lot of what you said though.

I definitely agree on the mixing. Absolution is their best album for me, but there are some errors. The piano clips in the solo of Butterflies and Hurricanes on the album version, but not on the single mix. check that out. And also i don't think the drums sound good enough for the heavier parts such as SS

I definitely agree on the mixing. Absolution is their best album for me, but there are some errors. The piano clips in the solo of Butterflies and Hurricanes on the album version, but not on the single mix. check that out. And also i don't think the drums sound good enough for the heavier parts such as SS

I'm listening to Absolution now co-incidentally. I can see what you mean about B&H and SS. I hope it'll be flawless on The 2nd Law.

I hoped their next album would go back to the 'in your face alternative rock' kind of theme, like Showbiz and OoS, but it looks like they will keep following the road they took with The Resistance. Sadly, The Resistance is my least favourite album, so I reckon this won't be something I will listen to a lot. Therefor, I voted 3.

I hoped their next album would go back to the 'in your face alternative rock' kind of theme, like Showbiz and OoS, but it looks like they will keep following the road they took with The Resistance. Sadly, The Resistance is my least favourite album, so I reckon this won't be something I will listen to a lot. Therefor, I voted 3.

The Resistance doesn't have dubstep. As a whole to me it reminds me more of a mix of BH&R, Abso & Origin in it's intensity and mix of genres.

The Resistance doesn't have dubstep. As a whole to me it reminds me more of a mix of BH&R, Abso & Origin in it's intensity and mix of genres.

I have to disagree. While The Resistance doesn't have "dubstep", neither does any other album. I definitely don't hear any Absolution or OoS influences in the trailer. The first part of the trailer is very Exogenesis-like. So I will make a bet that the upcoming album will have a lot of the same electronic and classical influences that drive The Resistance, only with more hard hitting beats.

I'm thinking this could be the album I'd hoped The Resistance would be. To me the dubsteppy bit in the trailer already sounds heavier than anything on the last album, and the lack of heaviness was one of my main problems with TR (which is my least favorite Muse album).

I also hope the genres/influences won't be all over the place again.

They haven't made angsty 'alternative rock' for about ten years, why would you now want or expect them to go back to it?

Also, we've only heard a snippet from the album, the only idea we have as to what it'll sound like as a whole is what people who've already heard it have said and, going by that, it sounds like a mix of BH&R and Absolution/Origin.

They haven't made angsty 'alternative rock' for about ten years, why would you now want or expect them to go back to it?

Also, we've only heard a snippet from the album, the only idea we have as to what it'll sound like as a whole is what people who've already heard it have said and, going by that, it sounds like a mix of BH&R and Absolution/Origin.

Showbiz and OoS contain the kind of music I like to listen to, so it's only natural I'd like to hear more of it. A lot of bands go back to their roots these days, but I think the guys just aren't old enough for that yet. They still have plenty of music styles they want to explore.

We'll see what they come up with. I'm just nog holding my breath yet. There are other albums around the corner that excite me way more than 'The 2nd Law' does.

Showbiz and OoS contain the kind of music I like to listen to, so it's only natural I'd like to hear more of it. A lot of bands go back to their roots these days, but I think the guys just aren't old enough for that yet. They still have plenty of music styles they want to explore.

We'll see what they come up with. I'm just nog holding my breath yet. There are other albums around the corner that excite me way more than 'The 2nd Law' does.

You can't fake angst and emotion. If you try you'll end up creating Guiding Light.

Archived