Guitar/Bass Technique Thread

brian KEEEEM

Is it possible that the past 3 years of my guitar playing have been utterly fruitless and futile?

I still can't play the guitar riff from Hysteria (among many other things, such as SMBH :facepalm:). I know where my fingers need to go, I know what I'm doing wrong, I know what I should be doing, but no matter how much I try or practice, my fingers don't listen to me.

Was I born with an inherent inability to excel in guitar playing?

Is it possible that the past 3 years of my guitar playing have been utterly fruitless and futile?

I still can't play the guitar riff from Hysteria (among many other things, such as SMBH :facepalm:). I know where my fingers need to go, I know what I'm doing wrong, I know what I should be doing, but no matter how much I try or practice, my fingers don't listen to me.

I can't say i have any problem with playing any Muse songs (Especially SMBH, it's just the rhythm that takes a little time to master) but i will admit that i do find Hysteria quite hard no matter how much i practice it. It's the picking hand i struggle with more.

Is it your picking hand that you struggle to master or putting your fretting hand in the right positions?

In my first two-or-so years of playing, there really wasn't much improvement at all. Then, I heard Plug In Baby and really got into it and it became the first song that I actually really wanted to play on guitar. After that I discovered loads of Muse songs and they just kept motivating me to practice every day to the extent that it wasn't practising, I just found it extremely fun. During that period there was a huge spike of improvement that lead me to become much more interested in music and it's carried on to this day.

All I've got to say is this: anyone can play guitar. Some people just take more time than others or have different motivations. Don't worry, you'll get better :)

Patience, padawan.

sloooow practice helped me learn the hysteria riff the first time around

All I've got to say is this: anyone can play guitar. Some people just take more time than others or have different motivations. Don't worry, you'll get better :)

...must avoid Radiohead reference...

In terms of what's been said over the last few pages, i'd generally agree with it. People have different strengths and weaknesses on guitar. ie: I'm a really fast learner and I can master songs within my ability in sometimes less than a day. But my tremolo is godawful, Sunburn guitar solo = ouch.

Therefore, i'm sure there are techniques that you are better than other people at, so don't be too worried. "Work on your weaknesses until they become strengths and work on your strengths until they become second nature." that my guitarist motto.

I remember when I first started learning I was struggling (like all beginners) with chord changes. But learning power chords really helped me train some co-ordination into both my fretting and and strumming hand and in time that helped me with regular chord changes.

As to alternate picking, it comes naturally after a while. Street Spirit was the song that got me doing it if I remember. Saying that though, I always prefer to play the Plug in Baby riff just downpicking. It sounds 'twangy' if I alternate it.

One thing I do get hung-up over with alternate picking is when I play a hammer on or off and I end up picking up on the beat. :(

As to alternate picking, it comes naturally after a while.

It didn't in my case, but I think what really helped me with that were various exercises rather than songs.

I don't really have trouble with picking now (really need to work on finger picking though), but there's one thing I still find a bit awkward. Basically picking upwards to the next string (if that makes sense)

for example, that part in plug in baby

e

B--7

G----7

D------7

A--------9

E

I think I might pick the A string downwards, but I can't remember.

I understand that's the 'correct' way to do it, but I don't know.

I remember when I first started learning I was struggling (like all beginners) with chord changes. But learning power chords really helped me train some co-ordination into both my fretting and and strumming hand and in time that helped me with regular chord changes.

As to alternate picking, it comes naturally after a while. Street Spirit was the song that got me doing it if I remember. Saying that though, I always prefer to play the Plug in Baby riff just downpicking. It sounds 'twangy' if I alternate it.

One thing I do get hung-up over with alternate picking is when I play a hammer on or off and I end up picking up on the beat. :(

Yeah for years I was all about the riffs and couldn't do chords for shit :LOL:

And I agree about alternate, it's so hard at first but you just naturally get better at it over time.

I've just started trying to use a slide - it feels weird sounding like complete shit again :chuckle: It's really fun though, can't wait until I can properly play it.

Every time I use a slide, I feel like whatever I play is a horrible version of a ZZ top song :facepalm:

not masking it at all. Reverb helps you pitch - it's useful for singing, but also for instruments which can do "every pitch" if you know what I mean. Saxophones, trombones, fretless bass etc, and I think slide guitar is in that family.

Fair enough, I'll give it a try.

I guess he just learned it that way.

There was this guy who worked in a guitar shop I used to go to who was able to do the same thing (he was also left handed), but he could play equally as well on a proper left handed guitar

It does seem a bit pointless though. I'd at least flip the strings around.

• 3 weeks later...

Not being able to play Can't Stop the proper muted way makes me want to cry. If I want to make up an excuse then it's the action on my guitar that is too low which makes it hard just to mute the strings I don't want to play.

Does anyone know any good exercises to practice this technique? Because practising by playing the song is just frustrating.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So I'm trying to pick up the technique of tremolo picking multiple strings at once (like the octave chords for the Showbiz solo and part of the Hullabaloo version of Darkshines) but I don't really know where to start, either there is some fancy name for it which I'm not aware of, or there is zilch in the way of lessons/tutorials for it on the internet, any help please?

So I'm trying to pick up the technique of tremolo picking multiple strings at once (like the octave chords for the Showbiz solo and part of the Hullabaloo version of Darkshines) but I don't really know where to start, either there is some fancy name for it which I'm not aware of, or there is zilch in the way of lessons/tutorials for it on the internet, any help please?

Watch how Matt does it in live videos, really in the wrist, not the arm. Start slow, get comfortable, find what works for you, and time and practice will improve speed.

Archived