Guitar/Bass Technique Thread

brian KEEEEM

my guitarist has always alternate picked, but he does the all downstrokes thing for toanz and to look cool on stage.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that technique, but, it's just so obvious that you could double your speed if you pick on your way up as well as on the way down.

I developed this technique which is basically "alternate strumming" where i'm constantly strumming down and up on the on and off beats, and I just mute every string i'm not playing. It gives a cool percussive tone, and when I switched to bass the ability to mute everything I wasn't playing was really really useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHdIuEpic&feature=related

:awesome:

I LOVE lemmy's technique and toan but I never used to listen to motorhead. I just kind of fell into that technique when I was about 12.

About bass actually - I guess alternate picking would relate to two finger plucking on a bass. To be fair, some people will try and do everything with one finger for toan reasons, but those few exceptions aside, think of how rediculous it would be if you tried to play bass with one finger on the right hand - and yet no-one finds it that rediculous to just pick downstrokes on a guitar. Weird

I was desperately trying to play the Stockholm Syndrome riff about four or five years ago, and my teacher was telling me for ages to alternate pick, so I tried it finally and never looked back. I now wince when i see people not use it.

How the hell did you even manage to attempt that? :LOL:

I agree about all downstrokes sometimes sounding better though. I use that for things like the Hyper Music riff. It just sounds a lot better somehow. :yesey:

It's Lemmy ;)

And thats why I learnt alternate picking. It was when i first heard muse, when they played glasto in 2004 and I saw them on TV (and I had already heard about them in and around Devon) and I decided to learn SS. I only knew Absolution until BH&R came out, then I became a fan :awesome: anyway, after I learned SS I then started to slowly alternate pick, and then it took me about 6 months - a year to master it :facepalm:

• 1 month later...

Might as well dig up this pathetic excuse of a thread instead of making a new one. :D

Anyone here have trouble tremolo picking while going changing strings? Kind of annoying haha.

Anyways, I'm having trouble doing the part of the PiB riff. The second half of the riff where you go down the you gown the b, d, and g string on the 7th fret, play the 9th on the a string and go back up.

How do you guys finger that part? I find it a bit awkward if I use my index and middle finger to alternate the 7th fret part, and if I just barre the bdg with my index finger, it just sounds muddy on the FF.

I bar it, it doesn't sound muddy.

This.

Trying to actually start incorporating my pinky into my playing. I do use it but when soloing it just feels safer to use my first three fingers. Came up with a solo, there's a few notes I should be using my pinky with but I keep using my third finger :facepalm:

This.

Trying to actually start incorporating my pinky into my playing. I do use it but when soloing it just feels safer to use my first three fingers. Came up with a solo, there's a few notes I should be using my pinky with but I keep using my third finger :facepalm:

Hmm, interesting. I still don't like the way it sounds though haha.

I hate my index and pinky finger. I'm one those really skinny, lanky guys that can't gain a single pound no matter how much I eat. Therefore, my hands are also really skinny. The ends of my fingertips aren't rounded off like most people so it hurts to do certain chords. For things like the mkultra riff, whenever I use my pinky, I end up just using the side of my pinky because it's just so lazy.

Hmm, interesting. I still don't like the way it sounds though haha.

I hate my index and pinky finger. I'm one those really skinny, lanky guys that can't gain a single pound no matter how much I eat. Therefore, my hands are also really skinny. The ends of my fingertips aren't rounded off like most people so it hurts to do certain chords. For things like the mkultra riff, whenever I use my pinky, I end up just using the side of my pinky because it's just so lazy.

I find using the side of my pinky hurts like crazy after not too long. Also, haven't you got pads on your fingers now? I've got huge ones, they just build up so it's easier to fret.

It's such a patronizing thing to say, but the only way that you're gonna get that pinky straight is by practice :facepalm:

I find using the side of my pinky hurts like crazy after not too long. Also, haven't you got pads on your fingers now? I've got huge ones, they just build up so it's easier to fret.

It's such a patronizing thing to say, but the only way that you're gonna get that pinky straight is by practice :facepalm:

I've got some pads built up but my index finger just looks like > instead of ).

This'll give you an idea: Even at the shortest length I can cut my fingernails, when I type on my keyboard, I'll usually be making contact with my fingernails on my index and pinky.

I use my pinky more than my 3rd... :erm:

Yeah, I'm the same.

Anyone here do much finger picking? I've been working on mine recently, and have been given a few exercises to work with...I keep feeling the need to cut my nails short though, which doesn't help :facepalm:

Guest Batman.
Yeah, I'm the same.

Anyone here do much finger picking? I've been working on mine recently, and have been given a few exercises to work with...I keep feeling the need to cut my nails short though, which doesn't help :facepalm:

A little bit, We Are Going To Be Friends by The White Stripes is a great song for learning fingerpicking.

I'm trying to learn flamenco at the moment and I've got the same issues with my fingernails :$ I don't know how far along you are with it but I found it really helpful to just arpeggiate some chords and assign each finger to a different string, that really builds up strength and coordination. I'm trying to work on speed at the moment though.

Yeah, I'm the same.

I find that if you fret both e strings on the same fret and pick them it helps you get started. I learnt by playing Blackbird by The Beatles (which I play a double speed to warm-up).

Also try songs like dust in the wind to help to along.

Gross.

Haha.

I'm starting to work on playing fingerstyle (that doesn't sound too right either, and not in the perverted way) with nails. It's making me really want a classical guitar. The hardest thing about picking up a new way to play guitar is knowing that you already know how to play with a pick, but playing fingerstyle... you're reverted back to noob status.

On another note, I was rocking out yesterday cuz I gave my guitar a fret level (saved myself a considerable amount of money), and I swapped out the pickups again and I ended up shredding my index fingernail to pieces. :facepalm:

Archived