GAS Thread: it's just too expensive to drive this.

cheddatom

I picked up the Squier Vintage Modified. Once I did a proper setup on it, it plays beautifully, comparable to an american. Only catch is the electronics are not as good, but I will upgrade them at some point. Even once I do that, I will be way under price point of an American considering I got this one for under $300 Canadian with a hard case.

I had one of those ordered for a while, but it looks like they might have redone their line based on specific years. I don't see a vintage modified, but there's one that looks similar which says it's styled after a '77

I think I'm just going to get one of these

00067978.jpg

Damn that is a pretty one! I tried to order the vintage modified too, but it was seriously back ordered apparently. I ended up getting mine off Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). My one thing I really cared about was I wanted block inlays (yes I'm picky).

I've debated that when I do upgrade the bass, going to the American style they offer in some of their basses, active pickups, with push/pull for active/passive.

Damn that is a pretty one! I tried to order the vintage modified too, but it was seriously back ordered apparently. I ended up getting mine off Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). My one thing I really cared about was I wanted block inlays (yes I'm picky).

I've debated that when I do upgrade the bass, going to the American style they offer in some of their basses, active pickups, with push/pull for active/passive.

I wonder if that particular one is discontinued. There isn't a "vintage modified" but rather a '77, '70, etc

The '70 looks nearly identical to the vintage modified I tried to get.

And yeah, the whole natural look with black pickguard and block inlays looks amazing.

How is the hardware on yours? the squiers generally have cheap hardware, but I'd only really replace it if it affected the tuning stability etc.

Having said that, I have an older squier series fender strat (which is basically a MIM standard with squier hardware) and I've only replaced the saddles because of how filthy they were. The machine heads are the absolute cheapest there are (the trapezoidal ones found on the $100 bullet strats) and aren't that smooth and a bit wobbly, but they do hold tuning well.

It's nothing special, but the sad thing is that it sounds better than my others.

I haven't tried too many of the recent squiers, but they do seem nice. Actually tempted to get the Simon Neil strat too...it would be wrong not to.

I wonder if that particular one is discontinued. There isn't a "vintage modified" but rather a '77, '70, etc

The '70 looks nearly identical to the vintage modified I tried to get.

And yeah, the whole natural look with black pickguard and block inlays looks amazing.

How is the hardware on yours? the squiers generally have cheap hardware, but I'd only really replace it if it affected the tuning stability etc.

Having said that, I have an older squier series fender strat (which is basically a MIM standard with squier hardware) and I've only replaced the saddles because of how filthy they were. The machine heads are the absolute cheapest there are (the trapezoidal ones found on the $100 bullet strats) and aren't that smooth and a bit wobbly, but they do hold tuning well.

It's nothing special, but the sad thing is that it sounds better than my others.

I haven't tried too many of the recent squiers, but they do seem nice. Actually tempted to get the Simon Neil strat too...it would be wrong not to.

Mine holds it tuning incredibly. I could go weeks without having to touch it really. The pots are meh, they sometimes crackle, but I never really touch them so they don't bother me. I will replace them when I do an overhaul of it. Bridge is fine too, no complains there.

Keep it passive, if you really want something cool, get this:

470128_459338497410563_1159467127_o.jpg

Aguilar OPB-1 pre-amp, but then built into a pedal.

Mine holds it tuning incredibly. I could go weeks without having to touch it really. The pots are meh, they sometimes crackle, but I never really touch them so they don't bother me. I will replace them when I do an overhaul of it. Bridge is fine too, no complains there.

that's cool. i bet they're alpha mini pots. :shifty:

i think the electronics are the biggest weakness in these. (referring to the pots etc, not too sure about the pickups). I do know that the older squier i mentioned sounded great even in stock form, and i was actually hesitant to replace the stock pickups in case those were part of the reason it sounded so nice. the electronics were in bad shape due to age though, so those had to go.

Given apparently it is impossible to find via the name in the image, know of any videos of it in action?

Search has failed me too. Doesn't seem to be listed on their website either (or maybe it hasn't been officially released?)

that's cool. i bet they're alpha mini pots. :shifty:

i think the electronics are the biggest weakness in these. (referring to the pots etc, not too sure about the pickups). I do know that the older squier i mentioned sounded great even in stock form, and i was actually hesitant to replace the stock pickups in case those were part of the reason it sounded so nice. the electronics were in bad shape due to age though, so those had to go. )

I took off the pick guard before, but I think I spaced and didn't even look at the pots (probably me subconsciously try to avoid doing a re-wire). The Pickups actually sound pretty good all considering, they are Seymour Duncan 'design'. So pretty much a cheaper version of what you can get from him.

I still want to upgrade the pickups in my Stratocaster and my jazz bass, just need to finish this mattocaster build first, then I will start looking at one of them!

Edit: Also, interested in more info on that pedal. I am not totally satisfied with my bass tone, and the videos i did find on that Aguilar OPB-1 pre-amp, the DI recordings sound quite nice!

I'll send him a link to here, just explain that you're a cool dude

Sent him a PM, let us know if you get it!

Cheers, just got it working so fingers crossed! I've been after a cheap Jazz for a while - can't really justify forking out hundreds as it's just for home recording use.

H0GX1.jpg

Highly recommended etc

That should do it. :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived