GAS Thread: it's just too expensive to drive this.

cheddatom

Jabnit? Blast from the past!

RE: the Dunlops, I don't know exactly what it is, but they seem clunky. They're really high and the sweep is so shallow I feel like it's not very expressive.

He actually popped up again last year; apparently he's still racist.

And yeah I think I know what you mean. I've never noticed THAT much of a difference personally, unless it's a completely different design like the morley or WH10

the wilson ten spot sounds pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKgnvbAu1n4

not sure just how different it is from the WH10 though

Yeah I tried the EVH wah, but couldn't get along with it for some reason. It sounded too dark (?) not sure how to describe it.

Thats pretty much how I felt about it, I remember it not feeling as 'responsive' as the others I tried?

Haha really? Maybe it was just because it was a slow day when I went - just the three of us were there as far as I can remember, but they seemed pretty friendly and let us crank up the mesa stack. I need to find out what that cheap guitar was though... you didn't see any guitar that stood out from the other ones did you? It had a really weird but cool finish.

Yeh it really was weird but this time they seemed proper cool, sadly didn't get to crank no mesa stack, had to settle for the mini rectifier :LOL: and don't know if this is what you mean? I saw a guitar/bass version with the same really cracked relic like finish, the brand is called 'axl' :awesome:

ap_828_ckbw2.jpg

And yeah, Wunjo was probably my favorite shop. They have a good inventory, and the customer service was great. Didn't feel pressured or anything when trying out the guitar, but I ended up buying it anyway. Got some free strings and a guitar strap too. They also had this strange guitar which must have been made by a small luthier. sort of a weird shape, and I think the body was walnut with a satin finish. Had a few switches and a floyd rose... I wonder if that's still there...

Yeah I love wunjo there such awesome people in there :awesome:, out of all the stores their the only one I'd happily travel up to London to buy stuff from them instead of ordering online :) I saw a lot of strange looking guitars there thats for sure, but not one like that :$

I'll have to check that out! I heard something about the switching on the reissues being pretty bad. But then I think it was Jim who said that :ninja:

So im now sort of weighing up between the cantrell/wilson wah to get at the end of the month, im probably going to get the cantrell mainly because I've played it and loved it. so maybe the tenspot will have to be when Im back into my chili pepper phase :LOL:

Thats pretty much how I felt about it, I remember it not feeling as 'responsive' as the others I tried?

Yeh it really was weird but this time they seemed proper cool, sadly didn't get to crank no mesa stack, had to settle for the mini rectifier :LOL: and don't know if this is what you mean? I saw a guitar/bass version with the same really cracked relic like finish, the brand is called 'axl' :awesome:

Yeah I love wunjo there such awesome people in there :awesome:, out of all the stores their the only one I'd happily travel up to London to buy stuff from them instead of ordering online :) I saw a lot of strange looking guitars there thats for sure, but not one like that :$

So im now sort of weighing up between the cantrell/wilson wah to get at the end of the month, im probably going to get the cantrell mainly because I've played it and loved it. so maybe the tenspot will have to be when Im back into my chili pepper phase :LOL:

yeah exactly, though it seemed to work well for distorted sounds. different voicing though

That's the one! apparently the axl stuff isn't that great, but I love that finish

Definitely - I'm going to go back there next time. That guitar must have sold then :( I was really close to buying it as well...can't remember the name of it, but I think the brand name started with a "B"

Did you see those guitars with the weird chess board looking finish?

V&R had some nice stuff (including a double neck Manson) but it was all stuff that would max out my credit card in one go!

I'll have to check out that wah pedal. I can't say I've really heard any AIC though :$

yeah exactly, though it seemed to work well for distorted sounds. different voicing though

That's the one! apparently the axl stuff isn't that great, but I love that finish

Definitely - I'm going to go back there next time. That guitar must have sold then :( I was really close to buying it as well...can't remember the name of it, but I think the brand name started with a "B"

Did you see those guitars with the weird chess board looking finish?

V&R had some nice stuff (including a double neck Manson) but it was all stuff that would max out my credit card in one go!

I'll have to check out that wah pedal. I can't say I've really heard any AIC though :$

Awesome, we obviously have same taste in 'different' guitar finishes :awesome: Yeh I really like how the axl stuff looks, shame they're not rated good, Would be great to just take the body of one and throw good stuff on it....thing of the power :facemelt:

Yes! Im almost certain I saw that chessboard guitar, it definitely stood out :awesome:

Until about 2 months ago I'd never really given a listen to AIC then my mate offered the tickets and for £34 I couldn't say no, plus I got to see walking papers (duff mckeegans new band) and 'Ghost' this weird Swedish metal band were they all dress up in weird religious stuff... now that was random considering I'd never even heard of them before they walked out on stage to monk singing :LOL: If your going to give some AIC a listen definitely listen to the album Dirt, don't think there's a bad song on that album, 'rooster', 'them bones' and 'would?' are my favourites :awesome: Hopefully then at the end of the month I'll take a trip up to london again and give the wah's another proper try and hopefully get one, at the moment I think im set on the cantrell wah although I didn't try out the Dunlop Custom audio effects wah so I definitely want to give them all another try :awesome:

Awesome, we obviously have same taste in 'different' guitar finishes :awesome: Yeh I really like how the axl stuff looks, shame they're not rated good, Would be great to just take the body of one and throw good stuff on it....thing of the power :facemelt:

Yes! Im almost certain I saw that chessboard guitar, it definitely stood out :awesome:

Until about 2 months ago I'd never really given a listen to AIC then my mate offered the tickets and for £34 I couldn't say no, plus I got to see walking papers (duff mckeegans new band) and 'Ghost' this weird Swedish metal band were they all dress up in weird religious stuff... now that was random considering I'd never even heard of them before they walked out on stage to monk singing :LOL: If your going to give some AIC a listen definitely listen to the album Dirt, don't think there's a bad song on that album, 'rooster', 'them bones' and 'would?' are my favourites :awesome: Hopefully then at the end of the month I'll take a trip up to london again and give the wah's another proper try and hopefully get one, at the moment I think im set on the cantrell wah although I didn't try out the Dunlop Custom audio effects wah so I definitely want to give them all another try :awesome:

indeed, but i imagine they're better than the axl stuff that was around several years ago. I've been playing since the 60's I had one of their generic strat copies in 2004-ish and even though I was just a beginner, I could tell that it wasn't that great :\ I recall I threw that guitar into a swimming pool because I was dared to :facepalm: It was at a wedding as well

I think the one I saw was actually blue, but I just remember the crackly finish

AXLBadwater1-1.jpg

And that's cool, I'll check them out. I've heard walking papers mentioned a few times recently - apparently they're going to be touring with Biffy in europe.

Also, the guy who has one of my amps now apparently does work for Jerry Cantrell and can do a AIC type mod to the amps. Will it make me sound like him? Probably not! but I'm still tempted to get that.

Not sure, but I definitely remember that weird finish. I only remember the guy saying it was a cheaper guitar that could be found on ebay. I recall you played a schecter bass in the shop with all the metal-themed guitars, and the fender mustang bass in one of the other shops.

I remember you saying something about the fret spacing on the mustang - I'm not a fan of short scale either, but I don't know if it's because of that or not.

indeed, but i imagine they're better than the axl stuff that was around several years ago. I've been playing since the 60's I had one of their generic strat copies in 2004-ish and even though I was just a beginner, I could tell that it wasn't that great :\ I recall I threw that guitar into a swimming pool because I was dared to :facepalm: It was at a wedding as well

I think the one I saw was actually blue, but I just remember the crackly finish

AXLBadwater1-1.jpg

And that's cool, I'll check them out. I've heard walking papers mentioned a few times recently - apparently they're going to be touring with Biffy in europe.

Also, the guy who has one of my amps now apparently does work for Jerry Cantrell and can do a AIC type mod to the amps. Will it make me sound like him? Probably not! but I'm still tempted to get that.

Yeah I saw a blue one as well, upstairs by the stairs to the pointy guitars :awesome: It would be great if an actual good brand of guitars would make a finish like that!

Walking papers was awesome! Plus got to meet the singer/guitarist Jeff Angel after the gig , he was walking around the burger vans/t-shirt selling bit :awesome:

Thats so cool, I know his Marshall's (I think?) are pretty modified! Would be really cool to hear what the mods would sound like for sure, to my knowledge his setup is fairly simple compared to some, I think there's a video of his rig on youtube I'll try and find it :awesome:

Edit: Found the vid! his setup is a bit more complex than I remembered, This is a newer video than the original one I watched :)

Yeah I saw a blue one as well, upstairs by the stairs to the pointy guitars :awesome: It would be great if an actual good brand of guitars would make a finish like that!

Walking papers was awesome! Plus got to meet the singer/guitarist Jeff Angel after the gig , he was walking around the burger vans/t-shirt selling bit :awesome:

Thats so cool, I know his Marshall's (I think?) are pretty modified! Would be really cool to hear what the mods would sound like for sure, to my knowledge his setup is fairly simple compared to some, I think there's a video of his rig on youtube I'll try and find it :awesome:

Edit: Found the vid! his setup is a bit more complex than I remembered, This is a newer video than the original one I watched :)

Yeah, I imagine it's not too difficult to do a finish like that if they're selling for $200 anyway

That's cool. I read that as walking around the T shirt vans selling burgers :facepalm: they couldn't be doing THAT bad... anything like GnR? I can't stand GnR for the most part, but that's just because of axl really.

And that setup is pretty complex! The two amps are built by Friedman amplification. This is the guy I mentioned before - he has some modifications, and there are some add ons which include a Jerry Cantrell voicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NISyViNBM

That's one of the early ones like in the video you posted. They've redesigned it a fair bit since then.

But yeah, I've just requested that he do that AIC voicing to mine. Apparently it changes the frequency of the low end and makes it heavier sounding

Why the matchless? seems like the last thing shrew derply would plug elliott into

Yeah, never heard of them, but they look like something sherpa_man would like. Not sure how well they can chuggz though

Why would you buy a relic tele? Just do it yourself. After all, you managed to do this after spending a few hours at Mansons, and you didn't even touch it.

964782_10151664036185944_1011685048_o.jpg

Old Marshalls are probably higher gain than the Matchless amp I've used, no idea which one. If you're after JCM style gain, look elsewhere.

But yeah, Vox meets Marshall is probably a good way of describing the sound. If I remember correctly, reminded me very heavily of the chorus guitar sound in Muscle Museum.

Matchless are sort of Vox-meets-Marshall. Some models lean more towards one or the other. The Chieftain has got the Voxy chime and the gain of a Marshall - seems like a nice middle ground to me.

I see.

I still can't imagine you playing anything besides an old barely functioning supro or something with no ground on the power cord.

Old Marshalls are probably higher gain than the Matchless amp I've used, no idea which one. If you're after JCM style gain, look elsewhere.

But yeah, Vox meets Marshall is probably a good way of describing the sound. If I remember correctly, reminded me very heavily of the chorus guitar sound in Muscle Museum.

I've never tried a matchless (at least that I can remember), but yeah, old Marshalls can get pretty distorted. Some more than others.

Every 'healthy' non MV Marshall I've played through can get just as distorted (or more) than a master volume JMP or JCM 800, but the 900 and 2000 are completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3oVpXN2HaQ

doesn't really get any better than that for a good rock tone.

I see.

I still can't imagine you playing anything besides an old barely functioning supro or something with no ground on the power

Snip.

doesn't really get any better than that for a good rock tone.

Agreed, unless you actually value your hearing. Those things are monsters.

Cool. Yeah, I'm not looking for Marshall gain, just a more Voxy/British flavor to add. A lot of guys I really like use them, so I feel pretty good about it.

I see.

I still can't imagine you playing anything besides an old barely functioning supro or something with no ground on the power cord.

I'll have you know that I've grounded 2/3 of my crappy old amps :phu:

Cool. Yeah, I'm not looking for Marshall gain, just a more Voxy/British flavor to add. A lot of guys I really like use them, so I feel pretty good about it.

Me too.

:pope:

I'll have you know that I've grounded 2/3 of my crappy old amps :phu:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showthread.php?t=1337907

Agreed, unless you actually value your hearing. Those things are monsters.

Yeah, I do run mine unattenuated (very rarely though) but I don't stay in the same room when I do that:

2wp731w.jpg

even though I consider the attenuator I have fairly transparent and I can still hear the true tone of the amp for the most part, it's still not quite the same as being in the same room with a fire breathing super lead with the speakers being pushed hard etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzZxuLklH-o

0:53

For once, some metal guitars with taste!

EMGs løl

How familiar are you with this brand? Wouldn't mind hearing an unbiased opinion

nice, im liking them alot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfMIqPfQoEE

Also, currently G.A.S.-ing for some of the gibsons that are being blown out for the end of 2013...seems like most dealers are sold out of the ones of interest though

Archived