ive not played any FL3s, but my favourite of the FL1s and 2s that ive played was a cutaway FL2 (like that FL2AC on the page). that said, the pickup in the FL3 is supposed to be very good. i cant really judge these based on anything other than what i like though - its a bit of a gamble for you regardless of which you get :p

looked into a lot of different ones (both cole clark and maton) and i think i'm going to go with this....

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/australian-series.html

the one on the right, which has the pickup. i don't really like the features of their other ones, and probably would prefer the sound of a full sized one.

the guitar pictured a few pages back has just left maton...should have it mid next month

inducing fits. Epilepsy is generally there already!

Cool though, how come you bother with your own lighting, are the venues you play not up to scratch or what?

It's early :p

Well I like to think it adds a lot to the show for not much more effort - it's more special effects than traditional band lighting... Each person/area gets a light aimed roughly at them and it's all running off cubase so for example the drumkit lights up with the kick.

The contrast between the light and dark is really strong (especially on camera) and the lights don't instantly flick on and off so you get this weird pulsating switch between shadows/silhouettes and blinding brightness.

For us on stage it's a like being really bongoed but without having any drugs :D

Oh and yeah, 90% of the places we play have nothing more than a couple of par cans on the stage and a few effect lights on the dancefloor... The rest we have no-one to run the lighting board anyway!

id do my own lighting too if we had the space, money and set up time!

its much better to be able to get a fully synched light show than someone who doesnt really know your songs doing it, no?

Yeah definitely - it takes a while programming it but you get faster and the end result is worth it!

yeh obviously much better. I suppose I didn't think you guys were playing big enough gigs to justify it. Like, if I could afford a roadie to help set up, i'd bother with lights. If I couldn't, fuck that.

We use four 500w floods with barn doors, on mini mic-stands/the floor - it takes five minutes to set up and most of that is getting the lights out of their stupid polystyrene boxes... I wouldn't bother if we weren't a 'dance' band playing late gigs though.

Well I like to think it adds a lot to the show for not much more effort - it's more special effects than traditional band lighting... Each person/area gets a light aimed roughly at them and it's all running off cubase so for example the drumkit lights up with the kick.

Is it all by MIDI or what?

MIDI CC channels converted to DMX by a thing in our rack.

Edit: Which is why programming was such a pain! It's easier in cubase 5 but I still haven't worked out all the modifier keys :(

How much is one of those?

I really do need to sort out lighting, a light for each kick would be fun!

looked into a lot of different ones (both cole clark and maton) and i think i'm going to go with this....

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/australian-series.html

the one on the right, which has the pickup. i don't really like the features of their other ones, and probably would prefer the sound of a full sized one.

the guitar pictured a few pages back has just left maton...should have it mid next month

both the acoustic and electric should make you a very happy man :D. be sure to let me know how you find them!

How much is one of those?

I really do need to sort out lighting, a light for each kick would be fun!

~£50 iirc!

If you're loaded, get a bunch of led strips (like matty b's old piano) and mount them vertically around you... Could do so much with it!

yeh it sounds like a good show! Got any videos?

Not since we started actually programming them... Got a couple of phone vids from when we ran them off the dimmer pack [sound activated] but the built in programs were shit so there's far too much on and not enough off!

both the acoustic and electric should make you a very happy man :D. be sure to let me know how you find them!

Sure - I'm mainly interested in hearing the tonal differences between the two electrics...I'm fairly sure one is all maple, or at least a maple top. The other (the one that I haven't got yet) is all blackwood

I feel like I should be playing in C standard

"and i realize you're mine" ...

the acoustic should be great as well - won't be getting that one just yet though.

Not since we started actually programming them... Got a couple of phone vids from when we ran them off the dimmer pack [sound activated] but the built in programs were shit so there's far too much on and not enough off!

Erroneous, you should get someone to film you.

Archived