@Sippe, I thought after multiple listens on my big screen HD stero system flat screen TV that Matts vocals were not off, just a little quiet on the opening notes. Not perfect but certainly better that others.

Is that supposed to mean something? :LOL:

Oh well.

Most people won't bother reading it, but it sums my feelings up about mostly anyone who speaks using "political" language. Say what you mean! We can't tell what you mean when you say "libertarian" .... or at least I can't because it's been used so many ways that I don't know if its good, bad, or just your opinion.

:LOL::LOL: I do agree with this.

Neither :LOL:

Most people won't bother reading it, but it sums my feelings up about mostly anyone who speaks using "political" language. Say what you mean! We can't tell what you mean when you say "libertarian" .... or at least I can't because it's been used so many ways that I don't know if its good, bad, or just your opinion.

Funny you should say that about the language, because I had been wondering myself this morning what the difference is between Left Wing Libertarianism and Marxism. I wonder if it's the same thing. I noticed Noam Chomsky identifies himself as a Left Wing Libertarian. I'm pretty sure he's generally identified as Neo-Marxist. Basically I think it is saying that to remove capitalism would be liberating as it's a form of control, and that people should work together to produce a better world which focuses the wellbeing of the group, whereas right wing libertarianism is basically, still about liberation from control, but based on individuals competing with each other for resources with survival of the fittest. It's two opposing ideologies of what would produce freedom and flourishing, one by cooperation and one by competition.

I wonder if the term Left Wing Libertarianism is a way of distancing the idea from the Russian model which, it has been said, wasn't really Communism at all but State Capitalism. As I understand, true Communism is the idea that people are more in control of their own livelihoods by living cooperatively together in small communes which control the means of production, so thus the control is decentralised. Obviously that wasn't the case in Communist Russia, where one power group was replaced by another.

I don't think it's viable but Marxism offers a good critique of the status quo.

@Sippe, I thought after multiple listens on my big screen HD stero system flat screen TV that Matts vocals were not off, just a little quiet on the opening notes. Not perfect but certainly better that others.

He's not the only one who heard that. I posted during the performance that Matt was out of tune. Olly and a few others agreed, iirc. I later rewatched on my big screen HD stereo system flat screen TV and it was marginally better but still most definitely off.

2011 GRAMMYs Impact on Artist Album Sales for Week Ending 20 February:

Esperanza Spalding 476% Increase 18,000 Sold

Arcade Fire 238% Increase 41,000 Sold

Lady Antebellum 205% Increase 85,000 Sold

Mumford & Sons 169% Increase 133,000 Sold

Muse 157% Increase 11,000 Sold

Source: Nielsen Soundscan/Billboard

2011 GRAMMYs Impact on Artist Album Sales for Week Ending 20 February:

Esperanza Spalding 476% Increase 18,000 Sold

Arcade Fire 238% Increase 41,000 Sold

Lady Antebellum 205% Increase 85,000 Sold

Mumford & Sons 169% Increase 133,000 Sold

Muse 157% Increase 11,000 Sold

Source: Nielsen Soundscan/Billboard

Fascinating... thanks for the stats!

No one seems to have mentioned this but both Matt and Chris were playing their guitars upside down ie left handed.

Does this mean they were perhaps protesting against not being allowed to play live or were they just mucking about because they have played the song so many times ??

No one seems to have mentioned this but both Matt and Chris were playing their guitars upside down ie left handed.

Does this mean they were perhaps protesting against not being allowed to play live or were they just mucking about because they have played the song so many times ??

Um, they played them right handed as usual in the footage I watched, and it was definitely live, so I'm not sure where you're coming from here.

If you mean this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFChWwUjJBY&feature=fvst then the answer is very simple.

The person who uploaded it flipped the video to avoid copyright laws. It's in the description. Muse played live.

I have just double checked a load of the Youtube uploads and there are several left handed but more are right handed so that solves that one.

It has been puzzling me for days.

I was obviously creating another conspiracy theory

LOL, how many more can we take :D

if Muse are the first band to play in space, then I think Matteh would ask they perform it in every direction in Zero G ;) just hook 'em up to the rotating running track, a la 2001 and the Space Platform

2011 GRAMMY Awards: British artists won a total of ten GRAMMYs

Muse

Jeff Beck (two awards)

Sir Paul McCartney

The Beatles

Iron Maiden

John Paul Jones (Them Crooked Vultures)

Sade

La Roux

Dame Julie Andrews

Although best new artist nominees Mumford & Sons and Florence Welch did not win, they performed at the ceremony and won valuable exposure and increased record sales in the USA market.

List of GRAMMY winning albums by British rock bands in various categories through the years:

2011 Muse The Resistance - Best Rock Album

2009 Coldplay Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Best Rock Album

2009 Radiohead In Rainbows - Best Alternative Music Album

2003 Coldplay A Rush of Blood to the Head - Best Alternative Music Album

2002 Coldplay Parachutes - Best Alternative Music Album

2001 Radiohead Kid A - Best Alternative Music Album

1998 Radiohead OK Computer - Best Alternative Music Performance/Album

1995 Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge - Best Rock Album

1968 The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Album of the Year & Best Contemporary Album

Notes: The other Beatles albums nominated for GRAMMYs were Help!, Revolver, Magic Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. Pink Floyd, The Police, Dire Straits, Depeche Mode, and Fine Young Cannibals are among the other British rock bands with GRAMMY nominated albums but no wins. Some legendary British rock bands which have never received any GRAMMY nominations are Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Kinks, Sex Pistols, Queen, Duran Duran, and Oasis.

• 1 month later...

Muse were on the Red Hot Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters 2000 tour in North America playing 14 shows with your band. How did they do?

"When I heard they were on this tour, I thought they might be kind of over everyone's heads. Americans are raised on convenience and Muse aren't something that's easy to understand, but they went over really well. The audiences were blown away by Matt's vocals and his guitar playing." - Dave Grohl

Source: Interview with Melody Maker in 2000

Muse also opened for U2 at 16 shows of their 360° tour during 2009-2011 which has now officially become the highest grossing tour ever after their weekend shows in Sao Paulo, Brazil on April 9-10. When their tour wraps in July 2011, the final ticket sales for the legendary Irish band's tour (110 shows) are due to surpass $700 million with 7 million tickets sold. Live Nation Entertainment made the announcement yesterday, declaring U2's 360° tour the most successful of all time. The staggering new total will shatter the previous record, set by The Rolling Stones' Bigger Bang tour, which raked in $554 million during 2005-2007.

Amazingly, the four bands featured on these two tours have won seven of the eleven GRAMMY awards for Best Rock Album during this span. The list follows below:

2001 Foo Fighters There Is Nothing Left to Lose

2002 U2 All That You Can't Leave Behind

2003 Bruce Springsteen The Rising

2004 Foo Fighters One by One

2005 Green Day American Idiot

2006 U2 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

2007 Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium

]

2008 Foo Fighters Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

2009 Coldplay Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

2010 Green Day 21st Century Breakdown

2011 Muse The Resistance

Please note all six Foo Fighters albums have been nominated for GRAMMYs with their newest Wasted Light having a good chance of being nominated in 2012. Also, four of Dave Grohl's bands (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, and TCV) have been nominated for GRAMMYs and he has won a total of eight GRAMMYS. U2 leads all groups having won a total of 22 GRAMMYs over the years with The Joshua Tree winning the GRAMMY for Album of the Year in 1988.

• 3 months later...
Pauley Perrette - Abby from NCIS - may introduce Muse in the first hour. Her favourite band is RATM and she sang in an all female punk band several years ago.

Paramore may announce the winner of Best Rock Album in the second hour.

Muse is the favourite to win this category because of their breakthrough success in the USA this year according to most industry prognosticators. Voters have also chosen younger bands in this category in recent years such as Foo Fighters and Green Day and Coldplay. However, Neil Young or Tom Petty could pull an upset if voters decide to reward a veteran act.

Arcade Fire is the slight favourite to win Best Rock Performance by a Group/Duo because that band is nominated for AOTY. This category is competitive however and either Muse or the Black Keys could also win. Most pundits think voters will be reluctant to give it to Kings of Leon three years in a row.

The Best Rock Song category is too close to call. Any one of the nominees could win. I am leaning towards "Little Lion Man."

"...before an audience comprising such disparate heavyweight stars as Neil Young, Jennifer Lopez, Nicole Kidman and Lady Gaga, Muse waltzed off with the award for Best Rock Album for The Resistance. Having been warned even by their American managers that they stood "no chance" of winning it, they were stunned when they actually did, as evidenced by Matt Bellamy's garbled speech."

- Q Magazine (UK) feature story and interview with Muse (August 2011)

Thankfully, the Muse Message Board and the voting members of the Recording Academy rated the band's chances of winning at least one GRAMMY a bit higher.

Archived