Reply from the hostel about bed types...

The booking web-sites use different terms for types of rooms that differ actually only slightly - in this setting, as this is a hostel there are dormitory type rooms. There are rooms that have 10 beds and the bathroom is outside in the hallway - this is what they call “budget”; there are rooms with 8 beds that have the bathroom inside; - basically these are the differences, and the price is a couple of dollars less or more accordingly. The rooms are either male (all males) or female (all females). In short this is all you need to know.

HI-Chicago

For the price of the hostel you can't beat it. If you plan to be at the festival all day then the room is there just to sleep. For the price of the total stay at the hostel you are paying what some hotel rooms are charging for one night stay.

I wonder if they'd mind me just living at the barrier for 3 days? :p

So I really want to go to Lolla next year, even if Muse don't play, and I've never been to Chicago, so I want to try to make it a week long trip. See the sights, try the food, and see an epic music fest :awesome: I've been debating between a hotel and the hostel, but I don't really know anything about hostels. I know you share a room with random people, but is it safe to leave your stuff there while you're gone? Or do you take everything with you? I was just wondering if someone more knowledgable than myself could give me an idea what I'd be getting myself into if I go the very tempting, cheaper route. :unsure:

The hostel is pretty nice. Each room has a locker for each bed, so if you have valuables you can put your stuff into that locker and lock it. Just make sure you bring a lock with you as the hostel does not provide one. This way you don't have to carry your crap with you everywhere. Like I said you can't beat the price.

Reply from the hostel about bed types...

So the budget ones are the 10 bed w/ bathrooms down the hall? How is that more expensive? :wtf:

Just a heads up for those of you trying to book at the HI Chicago:

Non-members of Hostelling International will have to pay an additional $3/night upon check-in. Still the overall total price is a good deal unless you're planning on staying there for much longer, or booking at other HI hostels in the future year.

So the budget ones are the 10 bed w/ bathrooms down the hall? How is that more expensive? :wtf:

Just a heads up for those of you trying to book at the HI Chicago:

Non-members of Hostelling International will have to pay an additional $3/night upon check-in. Still the overall total price is a good deal unless you're planning on staying there for much longer, or booking at other HI hostels in the future year.

Yeah, still makes no sense to me!:LOL:

I'd already spotted the extra $3 per night before booking but thanks for the heads-up:)

Did anybody see Muse at lolla in 07? I've never seen Muse at a festival and I really want barrier! How many hours before do you have to start working your way through the crowd?

I didn't catch them in 07 but pretty much for all the main headliners I see a lot of people hang at the barrier all day. I mean you have to think the festival starts around 11am and people are at the barriers that early until the main headliner comes on, which can be 8pm to 9pm. I've never done this before or could I, since there is so much other music to go around catching. I think a few hours before the headliner comes on and you will be able to get barrier.

Can't speak for Lolla but when I saw Muse at the V Festival in 2008 I was on the barrier from the time the gates opened at 12pm until Muse left the stage at about 11pm. All the people around me were too.

Same with Coachella and Voodoo. Get there early if you want barrier. Unless you don't mind the faaaar left or right side barrier, then a couple hrs before the main act will be fine.

Yeah, still makes no sense to me!:LOL:

I'd already spotted the extra $3 per night before booking but thanks for the heads-up:)

I just changed my reservation so that I could get the rooms w/ bath. Weird part is that now they're charging me more so that it equals to the amount they priced me for the budget reservation (which was on the booking page). :wtf: Whatever. As long as I have a place to stay with breakfast included, I guess...:LOL:

So besides Muse, what other rumors are going around about whose playing?

If LCD Soundsystem is there ill try everything in my power to go

Foo Fighters are a good bet with their new album coming out and Grohl and the band stating they're hitting up all the big festivals next year.

There's talk of REM playing Lolla, they have a new album as well

Heard talk of RHCP possibly being there

TOOL is playing Big Day Out and sounds like they're getting things rolling again, plus I read somewhere that they are "working in earnest" on a new album so....

That's all I heard as far as big names go. If, in addition to the studio work he's doing with the Foo Fighters, Krist Novoselic just might perform a few shows with them, which would mean 2/3 of Nirvana live onstage :D:D:D:D But that's just wishful thinking on my part

Foo Fighters are a good bet with their new album coming out and Grohl and the band stating they're hitting up all the big festivals next year.

There's talk of REM playing Lolla, they have a new album as well

Heard talk of RHCP possibly being there

TOOL is playing Big Day Out and sounds like they're getting things rolling again, plus I read somewhere that they are "working in earnest" on a new album so....

That's all I heard as far as big names go. If, in addition to the studio work he's doing with the Foo Fighters, Krist Novoselic just might perform a few shows with them, which would mean 2/3 of Nirvana live onstage :D:D:D:D But that's just wishful thinking on my part

Foo Fighters would make me pretty happy. RHCP I also want to see though ive heard underwhelming things about them live. They seem like they'd be fun. Barely listened to REM and Tool so not much to say there.

Foo Fighters-RHCP-Muse would be ok with me

I didn't catch them in 07 but pretty much for all the main headliners I see a lot of people hang at the barrier all day. I mean you have to think the festival starts around 11am and people are at the barriers that early until the main headliner comes on, which can be 8pm to 9pm. I've never done this before or could I, since there is so much other music to go around catching. I think a few hours before the headliner comes on and you will be able to get barrier.

Okay wait...I've heard all day and then I've heard half of the day. We were thinking of lining up three acts before plus the hour in between each act. So all in all about 6 hours before depending. So that's good? Also...how the hell can you stay on barrier all day?! Won't you need to...I don't know...go to the bathroom eventually!? Eat something? Drink something?That's a talent, man.

Okay wait...I've heard all day and then I've heard half of the day. We were thinking of lining up three acts before plus the hour in between each act. So all in all about 6 hours before depending. So that's good? Also...how the hell can you stay on barrier all day?! Won't you need to...I don't know...go to the bathroom eventually!? Eat something? Drink something?That's a talent, man.

If you want to stay on the barrier bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes. ;)

For Lady Gaga I got there when gates opened and it was already filled with 3 rows full of people who were camping all day. Just sayin'.

At a major festival like this I don't think I could camp out. There'd be way too many other artists I'd wanna see. Plus it seems like it'd be hard to do

When I was thinking about going to ACL I figured I might would do it there though, because the line-up for that stage was awesome and I wouldn't have felt bad about missing anyone.

I would just go in a few hours before them unless the line-up for the stage that day was amazing

At a major festival like this I don't think I could camp out. There'd be way too many other artists I'd wanna see.

Agreed. I've never been to a festival like this before so I may not speak from experience, but unless I happen to like every single band on the headlining stage, I'm not gonna camp out there all day at the expense of not seeing all these other cool artists. I mean, I'd be willing to sit through maybe the two acts right before the main headliner in order to secure a good spot before the rush begins, but since there's so many bands playing all day, I'm not as worried about getting a barrier spot as I would be if it was just a standard concert with one band.

(and with that, the number of people who want to hang with me at the festival just plummeted :LOL:)

At a major festival like this I don't think I could camp out. There'd be way too many other artists I'd wanna see. Plus it seems like it'd be hard to do

When I was thinking about going to ACL I figured I might would do it there though, because the line-up for that stage was awesome and I wouldn't have felt bad about missing anyone.

I would just go in a few hours before them unless the line-up for the stage that day was amazing

It sucked to miss Two Door Cinema Club, Broken Bells, The Temper Trap and more, but I would have been MISERABLE not being barrier for Muse. Every time I haven't been (Manchester, Wembley night 1 where I was 2nd row, Madison Sq. Garden where I had a seat), it SUCKED BALLS.

The day that Muse plays, I will up front and center from the time gates open. Just saying. There are 2 other days of music that I will make the rounds, and hopefully all the other bands that I really want to see will be scheduled on those days.

On another note, I attempted to make a couple of comments on the Lolla forum. Big mistake, there are some real ass-wipes over there. I guess I'll just lurk :ninja: I gotta keep my eyes open for those golden tickets!

It sucked to miss Two Door Cinema Club, Broken Bells, The Temper Trap and more, but I would have been MISERABLE not being barrier for Muse. Every time I haven't been (Manchester, Wembley night 1 where I was 2nd row, Madison Sq. Garden where I had a seat), it SUCKED BALLS.

The day that Muse plays, I will up front and center from the time gates open. Just saying.

Oooh! So I won't be alone in wanting to camp-out the entire day for barrier? :awesome: I'm kind of a n00b at that sort of thing, so it will be nice to have people to join me :chuckle:

I have only seen once before and it was in seats. And while I actually really enjoyed my experience, I've vowed that it's barrier or gtfo for me from now on :LOL:

Archived