Muse on iTunes Ping

KirkBot

I just looked at it, and I don't like the fact that iTunes can "look" at your listening library on your computer, including music you have downloaded from elsewhere apparently. Plus I guess they gather any personal information people put on their profiles. It's obviously only for marketing purposes but it creeps me out a bit! I don't know whether Twitter can "look" at your computer.

Big Brother are Watching You. :shifty:

PS It's also occurred to me that this is possibly a way to encourage music fans to register on iTunes in order to identify illegal downloaders, not that I have any worries on that score but...

PS It's also occurred to me that this is possibly a way to encourage music fans to register on iTunes in order to identify illegal downloaders, not that I have any worries on that score but...

I kind of doubt it, if that were true everyone like me who knows other much better audio players exist (foobar, winamp, etc) would get off our asses and use them instead. And then it would just be too inconvenient to buy from iTunes.

I miss iTunes 7. Or was it 8? Whichever one was before Genioooooooous arrived.

Edit: http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/

wow, there really isn't anything interesting this time around

I kind of doubt it, if that were true everyone like me who knows other much better audio players exist (foobar, winamp, etc) would get off our asses and use them instead. And then it would just be too inconvenient to buy from iTunes.

Edit: http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/

wow, there really isn't anything interesting this time around

I don't understand what you mean. I meant that the extra goodies from Artists provided by Ping might encourage people to download invasive programmes from iTunes, who wouldn't otherwise.

I saw that in their privacy statement they have a get out, in that they will provide personal information if requested by governments and if there are legal proceedings. Also the statement from their regulator regarding privacy has a get out regarding social networking in that it's privacy is not regulated.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it and it's common practice. I don't really know much about such things except that I know there has been a debate regarding free listening and illegal downloading and stuff happening at a government level.

I don't support illegal downloading btw, I'm just uncomfortable about the ever increasing monitoring of our lives by commercial companies.

tbh im the opposite with the illegal downloading stuff. I'm not worried at all. If itunes wanted to tag themselves as the police and arrest/ charge millions and millions of subscribers, they'll lose so much business for it.

I'm personnally estatic about the new ping feature and double happy face when I was able to immediately follow muse :D Once it really kicks off, like others have said, it'll be twitter, but totally music related XD WIN

:facepalm: I'm actually upgrading my iTunes just out of curiosity...

I just did and it screwed up the look of my music library. :mad:

I can't say I'm impressed with this Ping thing. I have yet to encounter any content from the artists I like that I haven't already seen on their Twitter, website or Facebook pages. Maybe that will improve over time.

I dislike iTunes 10 and its ugly new icon with the black music note on blue cd background.

iTunes10.jpg

But most of all, I really dislike that all folders are now the same nondescript color.

Archived