Do You Think Muse Sounds Like Radiohead?

lamia1194

my friend played me a radiohead song (dunno which one, i just know it was off Ok Computer, cos she said that was their best album) and it sounded nothing like muse! Ok, so i'm going by one song here, no, wait, my older sister played me a radiohead tape a while back! I don't remember thinking "hmmm, this is like muse" when i heard it. They're both just very individual.

From OK Computer...listen to The Tourist and Paranoid Andriod and tell me that doesn't sound Musey. Or rather Radiohead-y and then the album Showbiz was Muse's take on that sound.

And just about all of The Bends sounds similar to Muse. But as someone said, Radiohead's own first album was very inspired by another band...and they went on to better things. Same thing happened to Muse.

Gotta start somewhere, right? :happy:

Yep, and it's better to take inspiration from an acclaimed band and move on from there than come out with a sound that everyone hates. I guess.

They also both have a common influence in Jeff Buckley.

Why are we still discussing this.. aren't there a hundred other threads just like this that it could be discussed on?

Who cares, if at the beginning of their career, they sounded like Radiohead, they obviously do NOT sound anything like Radiohead now.

It gets tiring seeing everyone debating if they are similar or not.

Two separate bands, one was inspired by the other. End of story.

From OK Computer...listen to The Tourist and Paranoid Andriod and tell me that doesn't sound Musey. Or rather Radiohead-y and then the album Showbiz was Muse's take on that sound.

And just about all of The Bends sounds similar to Muse. But as someone said, Radiohead's own first album was very inspired by another band...and they went on to better things. Same thing happened to Muse.

I've had my younger sister (29) who doesn't like Muse or Radiohead (she thinks they both sound whiney), and she doesn't think they sound anything alike. I played Paranoid Android" and "Glorious" next to each other and I see no resemblence at all. I actually think that the lead singer of Keane sounds more like Thom than Matt does. I've analysed their voices (I was a singer for 12 w/ a choral group), and Thoms is whinier, mushier, smoother and he transitions into his falsetto more pronounced. Matt has a less whiney voice with a much higher pitch. his voice has a very pronounced vibrato as well. his transition to falsetto is very smooth as well. He has a higher range.

Musically, the 2 bands sound nothing alike. Besides, RH is a 5 piece where as Muse is a 3 piece. RH could never make their music if they were only 3.

I don't get the comparisons and yes, it does get my goat when they are made. You hear a falsetto and boom! you're the same band, or your ripping someone off.:mad:

I've had my younger sister (29) who doesn't like Muse or Radiohead (she thinks they both sound whiney), and she doesn't think they sound anything alike. I played Paranoid Android" and "Glorious" next to each other and I see no resemblence at all. I actually think that the lead singer of Keane sounds more like Thom than Matt does. I've analysed their voices (I was a singer for 12 w/ a choral group), and Thoms is whinier, mushier, smoother and he transitions into his falsetto more pronounced. Matt has a less whiney voice with a much higher pitch. his voice has a very pronounced vibrato as well. his transition to falsetto is very smooth as well. He has a higher range.

Musically, the 2 bands sound nothing alike. Besides, RH is a 5 piece where as Muse is a 3 piece. RH could never make their music if they were only 3.

I don't get the comparisons and yes, it does get my goat when they are made. You hear a falsetto and boom! you're the same band, or your ripping someone off.:mad:

Well obviously you picked a NEW Muse song where they do sound nothing like each other...that was either accidental or deliberate. Either way, just about anything off Showbiz gets my sister saying "I thought that was Radiohead at first" and she's a singer as well...so we can all play the "I know music therefore I rule and you don't" game.

I often wonder what these Radiohead deniers are listening to, unless they're doing the musical version of sticking their fingers in their ears and going "LALALALA NOT LISTENINGQ!!111 You're WRONG!" becaue Showbiz is UNASHAMEDLY influenced by Radiohead.

Not that it's a bad thing, cos Radiohead were awesome at the time and Showbiz is the album that brought Muse into my life and I loved them as Muse, not because they sounded a bit Radiohead.

Go Caff! Yes!

Every band is influenced by someone else and usually start off with a first album that has many references to other bands before they start developing their own sound. Radiohead were massive at the time, of course they were influenced by them.

Why are we still discussing this.. aren't there a hundred other threads just like this that it could be discussed on?

Who cares, if at the beginning of their career, they sounded like Radiohead, they obviously do NOT sound anything like Radiohead now.

It gets tiring seeing everyone debating if they are similar or not.

Two separate bands, one was inspired by the other. End of story.

jeez, i was just curious

The only glimpse of radiohead recently is the first bit of singing matt does on Glorious, but even that is a stretch.

Listening to a lot of Radiohead atm and i see very few similarities,

I feel sorry for Muse having to put up with the endless comparisons, despite them being different...

(L)Muchas love to them :D

Archived