LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

2 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

Matt was on the subreddit (and got banned lol). If you're curious on some of his takes on politics that inspired the album's lyrics. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Muse/comments/v6b2pn/summary_of_uwillthehacker2022_activity_on_rmuse/

If that’s indeed Matt then I’m glad he’s on Reddit and Twitter and not on the board. Because this place is so dead I feel that old grumps like me are overrepresented here, which makes this place even more negative and critical than it traditionally already was. 

But hey, Matt, we’re also engaged in discussing the topics you’re singing about, isn’t that what you wanted? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

WOTP is my new worst Muse song. I hate everything about it. At least KOBK sounds promising.

I think thats jumping the gun a bit. Its super repetitive and doesn't have too much going for it. But don't forget that Aftermath, Revolt and GUAF exist.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

I think thats jumping the gun a bit. Its super repetitive and doesn't have too much going for it. But don't forget that Aftermath, Revolt and GUAF exist.

The 'will of the people' line just rubs me the wrong way. Super annoying and way too similar to the beautiful people. Those other three songs aren't as annoying to me.

8 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

The 'will of the people' line just rubs me the wrong way. Super annoying and way too similar to the beautiful people. Those other three songs aren't as annoying to me.

Oh yeah true. Honestly when we heard the snippet I  was hoping that would just be for the intro. Not driving the entire song.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

It's their worst opener for sure, bumping Supremacy off that spot.

I'm very curious how they justify the Will of the People chant's similarity to the beautiful people. It's not possible not a single band member or person involved in creating the album didn't notice the similarity. So either they asked permission, they consulted a music lawyer to make sure it was different enough, or they're gambling that they'll get away with it. It seems that about a fourth of the FB comments under the post with the song's video are jokes about copyright infringement. 

We all know Muse likes to "borrow", so this is nothing new. But jeeeezz has their source of 'inspiration' taken a dive with Manson. Rachmaninoff, Bach, Tchaikovski, RaTM, John Williams, Vangelis, Marilyn Manson. 

Speaking of borrowing, I just watched Squid Game for the first time and now I know where the WoTP mask and outfit inspiration came from. Though interestingly in that show it's the elites in power who mask up, not the oppressed.

Simulation Theory's audio and visual design is pretty much Stranger Things. (To the point where they got Stranger Things poster artist to make the album cover)

Anyone want to pitch in and get Matt an Apple Plus account? Wouldn't mind a track or two about For All Mankind or Mythic Quest.

Edited by Silentgod86

7 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Simulation Theory's audio and visual design is pretty much Stranger Things. (To the point where they got Stranger Things poster artist to make the album cover)

Anyone want to pitch in and get Matt an Apple Plus account? Wouldn't mind a track or two about For All Mankind or Mythic Quest.

Severance is where it’s at. 

19 hours ago, That Little Animal said:

I'm very curious how they justify the Will of the People chant's similarity to the beautiful people. It's not possible not a single band member or person involved in creating the album didn't notice the similarity. So either they asked permission, they consulted a music lawyer to make sure it was different enough, or they're gambling that they'll get away with it. It seems that about a fourth of the FB comments under the post with the song's video are jokes about copyright infringement. 

We all know Muse likes to "borrow", so this is nothing new. But jeeeezz has their source of 'inspiration' taken a dive with Manson. Rachmaninoff, Bach, Tchaikovski, RaTM, John Williams, Vangelis, Marilyn Manson. 

Speaking of borrowing, I just watched Squid Game for the first time and now I know where the WoTP mask and outfit inspiration came from. Though interestingly in that show it's the elites in power who mask up, not the oppressed.

The Psycho riff always makes me think of Disposable Teens

20 hours ago, That Little Animal said:

I don't know. I think a decent percentage of the public has long viewed Marilyn Manson as style over substance, but the guy has been cranking out records for 30 years. It takes a lot more than simply shock appeal to last three decades in the music industry. In my opinion, his stage persona has long overshadowed his musical ability, and he's been extremely underrated as a musician as a result. Not only that, but assuming "The Beautiful People" was a key influence for "Will of the People," it wouldn't be the first time it sounded as though Muse was inspired musically by Manson.

I'll take it upon myself to be the outcast. I love "Will of the People" and think it's far from the worst opening track in the band's catalog (I actually love all 9 opening tracks). Here's how the outcast would rank them, in descending order:

9. Take a Bow

8. Apocalypse Please

7. Supremacy

6. Uprising

5. Sunburn

4. Dead Inside

3. Will of the People

2. Algorithm

1. New Born

8 minutes ago, Clunge said:

Take A Bow ninth and AP eighth? Get out.

I prefer WOTP to Uprising, Supremacy and Algorithm, for sure.

lol, yep. Great tracks, but definitely my least favorite of the 9. I probably would have ranked "Uprising" at the bottom a few years ago, due to it getting overplayed to death, but it's grown on me again. I love "Algorithm," though. It's my favorite song off "Simulation Theory" by a fairly substantial margin.

2 hours ago, EternallyPissed said:

I'll take it upon myself to be the outcast. I love "Will of the People" and think it's far from the worst opening track in the band's catalog (I actually love all 9 opening tracks). Here's how the outcast would rank them, in descending order:

9. Take a Bow

8. Apocalypse Please

7. Supremacy

6. Uprising

5. Sunburn

4. Dead Inside

3. Will of the People

2. Algorithm

1. New Born

1. New Born

2. Sunburn

3. Take a Bow

4. AP

5. Algorithm

6. Uprising

7. Dead Inside (Great song, better than 5 and 6, but not a great opener for me.)

8. Supremacy

9. WOTP (Time will tell if it's a better opener in the context of the album. For now, I'm not a fan.)

On 6/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, EternallyPissed said:

9. Take a Bow

8. Apocalypse Please

7. Supremacy

6. Uprising

5. Sunburn

4. Dead Inside

3. Will of the People

2. Algorithm

1. New Born

Blasphemy. TAB is number 1!