LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

3 hours ago, Clunge said:

It's miles better than Pressure though. In fact, all three WOTP songs are better than nearly anything on ST, which is a bonus.

So far, all the singles have been better than Dig Down, Pressure and Thought Contagion, but nowhere near The Dark Side, Propaganda, The Void, Blockades or Algorithm for me.

I'm expecting another Muse album with 3-4 great songs and the rest ranging from terrible to decent but none of which I would ever choose to listen to.

• Like 1

Just heard it. Not really a fan.

Sounds like its sort of trying to be Uprising and Pressure redone as someone mentioned but its worse than both of those songs. And I don't even particularly like either of those lol. Neither Pressure or Uprising would crack my Muse top 50 even.

Sounds like Pressure mixed with the new Royal Blood Vibe and all transferred to a 80s Sound.
It's catchy, it's groovy... I like it! And this will be fun live!

Although the "THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE" chorus is somehow dumb.

Edited by blubb0r

• JessicaSarahS changed the title to LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Ok, the video is, errrm… doesn‘t fit the song this time for me. 

The song … I love it !! Brings back 70‘s glamrock memories .. 😅 no, I didn‘t like everything of this era, but some stuff was pretty cool! I think they don‘t take it too serious anyway… and it will be fun live ! It‘s ok that Muse try out other directions with their music, why not? Freedom of art!

and: more intimate shows in Europe and USA ! Yessss! The nearest would be Milan for me, as not a single one will be in  Germany or Austria. 

Edited by Claudia O

From Matt: “‘Will of the People’ is fictional story set in a fictional metaverse on a fictional planet ruled by a fictional authoritarian state run by a fictional algorithm manifested by a fictional data centre running a fictional bank printing a fictional currency controlling a fictional population occupying a fictional city containing a fictional apartment where a fictional man woke up one day and thought ‘fuck this.’

Wonder why Matt is emphasising the fictional part ..,

If it was this or Uprising, I'd pick WotP. You can imagine the crowd jumping a lot near the end. It's fun. Who doesn't love a falsetto chorus?

It's firing me up to see Green Day soon too haha.

The lyrics are certainly capturing what's going on... With every second our anger increases... we need a transformation we can all see...  a subtle Will of the Sheeple (2.34). I'd put it above compliance, but Won't Stand Down is still one of the best for a while!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Claudia O said:

Hm … that nobody can say it it about … tearing down Russia maybe or about the war in Ukraine? 

or just because he wants to… 

Worth pointing out WOTP was written and recorded in 2021 before Russia's invasion of Ukraine. 

Maybe because the video is very reminiscent of the January 6th insurrection and seems to visualize those folk as the heroes and good guys hence Matt trying to deflect criticism with fictionalized doing some very heavy lifting. The lyric seems to be more nuanced (2nd verse seems to imply and trumpians view of themselves is wrong and somewhat ironic) but that video,  oof, is at best, very very naive or ignorant of how folk would view it.

2 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Worth pointing out WOTP was written and recorded in 2021 before Russia's invasion of Ukraine. 

Maybe because the video is very reminiscent of the January 6th insurrection and seems to visualize those folk as the heroes and good guys hence Matt trying to deflect criticism with fictionalized doing some very heavy lifting. The lyric seems to be more nuanced (2nd verse seems to imply and trumpians view of themselves is wrong and somewhat ironic) but that video,  oof, is at best, very very naive or ignorant of how folk would view it.

I wouldn't go that far, and don't think Matt is team insurrection at all. And either way the characters in the video are way more Antifa type than anything else. 

But then I saw the ministry of truth building lol. The way I see it, I don't think Matt is a pro insurrection, Trumper nut, but he probably is more worried about authoritarian governments exercising increased authoritarianism the past 2 years more than anything else. Which I think is a justified concern that alot of people have.

Also I can't imagine anyone listening to compliance and NOT thinking it was being sung from the perspective of an authoritarian government to its people. Idk how else you could spin the lyrical content of that song. 

44 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

From Matt: “‘Will of the People’ is fictional story set in a fictional metaverse on a fictional planet ruled by a fictional authoritarian state run by a fictional algorithm manifested by a fictional data centre running a fictional bank printing a fictional currency controlling a fictional population occupying a fictional city containing a fictional apartment where a fictional man woke up one day and thought ‘fuck this.’

Wonder why Matt is emphasising the fictional part ..,

The over emphasis of fictional to me seems to be a yeah, it's a fictional setting, but all these things exist in the real world sort of take. Being ironic basically.

18 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Ah yes, it was.. maybe he thought about that the ST movie was released after the pandemic started, and he didn’t want any resemblabce or speculation this time? Or maybe he‘s just being (or trying to be) funny :logic:

Edited by Claudia O

Perhaps, maybe it would have been better if they used giant teddy bears again.  

I'm not trying paint Matt as one thing or another but if you're going use imagery of protesters violently breaking into government institutions and destroying them, maybe folk are going to be reminded of very recent examples of such things.

25 minutes ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

The over emphasis of fictional to me seems to be a yeah, it's a fictional setting, but all these things exist in the real world sort of take. Being ironic basically.

Ah yes, that makes sense too. A bit of 3D irony inception though, if he’s not also poking fun at his own unwillingness to take a stance. 

45 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Perhaps, maybe it would have been better if they used giant teddy bears again.  

I'm not trying paint Matt as one thing or another but if you're going use imagery of protesters violently breaking into government institutions and destroying them, maybe folk are going to be reminded of very recent examples of such things.

It's not technically a government building. The ministry of truth became a meme/1984 reference recently because the Biden admin talked about creating a government body to combat online misinformation. So people started jokingly calling it the "ministry of truth" ala 1984. 

I'm not sure how many of you live in America or are aware of things like this. But either way, as much as online misinformation/conspiracies may be varying levels of a problem, the idea of a government body set up to decide what is real/true or not is insanely alarming and dystopian. Knowing Matt's past stances, he would be alarmed at the thought of that. It's not a right or left thing. It's a freedom vs government control thing.

43 minutes ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

It's not technically a government building. The ministry of truth became a meme/1984 reference recently because the Biden admin talked about creating a government body to combat online misinformation. So people started jokingly calling it the "ministry of truth" ala 1984. 

So a government institution yeah?

• Like 1