LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

On 3/18/2022 at 6:05 AM, That Little Animal said:

The album’s title track “Will Of The People” brings playful provocation to a dystopian glam-rocker while there is an innocence and a purity to the nostalgic electronic textures of “Verona.”

The August release date is brutal but will fly by I'm sure. I don't want to be inundated with singles like we were for Drones and ST but we need at least one more to hold us over until then. WotP and Verona sound like they could potentially be good summer jams?

Song lengths shown on the setlist is a bit worrying, I think, as songs have gotten shorter for each album.

To me that implies less experimental song structures and perhaps more tightly produced songs in a sort of pop-songwriting-formula kind of away. Which is exactly what I had hoped they would steer away from.
It was something Simulation Theory suffered from, IMO, where-as Drones hade more songs that actually evolved over time in interesting ways.

It could also be that the tempo are just generally very fast, although I doubt that will would be the main reason behind it. Well well -- time will tell... :) 

Edited by Dysfunco

On 3/18/2022 at 8:30 PM, frutiger75 said:

i couldn't even find a way to pay via PayPal on any browser or device -- only by card. and i never saw any language about instant downloads of the first two singles...

But were you able to select which card? 🤔

Seems to just be London/SBE for the stencil and stickers, feel like more woulda been found by now if there were other cities. But they can’t just be playing *one* gig between now and the festivals, right? Maybe they’ll play SBE, then you’ll start seeing stickers next to a venue in Paris/LA or something.

I’d say By Request tour but there’s no way they’ve rehearsed enough for that lmao

Matt shares some album details and insights in the interview.

Some personal highlights from what I've heard of it so far:

• When talking about fan expectations and the fact that alot of people still just want "8 minute prog songs", he said that he thinks Muse still have a "really deep prog album within" them -- as in they might do something like that in the future.

• He said they apporeached Will of the People is almost like a "best of Muse" album, but with new songs rather than releasing a traditional greatest hits album (which the record label wanted them to do).

• Apparantly Dom was given more of a leader roll this time around, which I think sounds positive as according to Matt, Dom thinks they've perhaps strayed a bit too far  recently (if I understood it correctly one example would be that he simply wants to play the drums, rather than having them programmed too much).

Yeah, there might be more but take a listen for yourself!

Edited by Dysfunco

You know, fans are gonna whine who are gonna whine, but like... it was just a couple years ago we got basically everything Muse recorded between 1998 and 2001 (which is a lot) all put together in one stellar package.  There's more than one album's worth of great Muse material that didn't make it onto Showbiz or OoS in there.  For me, who hadn't heard most of it before (aside from a couple B-sides and singles and a long long ago once or twice listen though Hullaballoo that I barely remember),  that's basically two great "new" Muse albums released at once.  Just saying, if you end up not liking WOTP and hankering for Muse to return to their older sound, it's pretty easy to go back and revisit that treasure trove instead of complaining that Muse aren't what they used to be.

Or you can just complain, I guess that's what the internet is for anyway.

• Like 1