:yesey: Exactly! And you can be a very successful band in the US without selling out stadiums. I know that's their goal, but that is so rare here and it's usually left for much much older bands. They should stop aiming for that goal and just focus on making music and doing live performances that are true to themselves.

I think it's as rare here as it is in the states. Not many bands here play stadiums and when they do it's usually the likes of U2 or the Rolling Stones. So I don't see why they shouldn't aim to get to the same level there as they are in the UK/Europe if that's what they want.

:LOL: Oh you guys.

Anyway... I mostly just agree with Mozza here, that people are just excited that someone from Muse shares the same opinion that they do.

And also, the whole thing with Stephenie Meyer being a huge fan probably has a lot to do with it. They're nice guys.

I think they probably all share Chris's view but Matt and Dom have tried to be more diplomatic about it. Matt's answers in interviews to questions about Twilight have always been polite and non-committal.

It's just music in the background of a party. Some girl say's 'Wow. I love this song' and then they talk over it. The song is barely audible.

Is that bit on YT somewhere? I am just curious how it fits in (or not) and how audible it is.

Ah, I've actually been wondering about this - what is the context of the song's use in the movie? :shifty: Is it in the credits or is it just in one scene?

I haven't seen the movie, but apparently it plays in the background and someone goes, "Oh, I love this song!" or something. I've seen the first two films and both times I thought the songs were very random and didn't fit in at all. :p

that's how i read it too.

edit: *look at the tags* obey paul the octopus? :wtf::LOL:

:wtf::LOL: indeed.

:yesey: Exactly! And you can be a very successful band in the US without selling out stadiums. I know that's their goal, but that is so rare here and it's usually left for much much older bands. They should stop aiming for that goal and just focus on making music and doing live performances that are true to themselves.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to sell out stadiums in the US. Though it is a bit depressing that to get there probably does require "soul selling". And if Muse want to be a stadium act, wouldn't it be more "true to themselves" to do so than to settle with smaller shows?

Exactly - it makes a bold headline but they can be misleading.

We can live with Stephanie Meyer being a Muse fan - I'm fine with that. But most Musers are put off by the casual Musers who love SMBH or NSC (LiF) but when they hear something like MoTP, NB or even Hysteria they act like they have an ear rash.

And the concept probably doesn't appeal that well either.

Chris' comments are also probably the most real. Matt and Dom's enthusiasm is cool but Chris' realism is to be applauded. Besides the bouncing around Muse had with the song for Eclipse, it sounds like they just got pissed off by them

I think the key is the separation between Meyer herself and "the twilight franchise", which has taken on a life of it's own.

Judging by comments they made last year, it sounded like the guys didn't really understand what the whole twilight thing was about, so i'm sure they didn't know what they were getting themselves into when they originally talked to Meyer.

I agree. It's not that they shouldn't want to be bigger here but I think that they need to just do what they've been doing all along and let it come naturally. When the time is right, if the time is right, it'll happen :)

They didn't go from clubs to wembley overnight in the UK, so they shouldn't expect to be able to do that here.

It's background party music. Seriously. :chuckle:

It's just music in the background of a party. Some girl say's 'Wow. I love this song' and then they talk over it. The song is barely audible.

:LOL: wow... didn't they do the same thing with IBTY? It seems like only SMBH got the full treatment...

I think it's as rare here as it is in the states. Not many bands here play stadiums and when they do it's usually the likes of U2 or the Rolling Stones. So I don't see why they shouldn't aim to get to the same level there as they are in the UK/Europe if that's what they want.

Bands like Coldplay and the Foo Fighters have played Wembley, haven't they? :unsure: I don't know if they've played anything that big here...

Also, see what I said above to Jessica about not trying to force things :)

They should do a Depeche Mode and do a one off show in a terriroty where they have big fan support (like a big stadium show in New York or Los Angeles) to close a tour to get people standing up and paying attention, then throw in stadium dates for the next tour.

I think the key is the separation between Meyer herself and "the twilight franchise", which has taken on a life of it's own.

Judging by comments they made last year, it sounded like the guys didn't really understand what the whole twilight thing was about, so i'm sure they didn't know what they were getting themselves into when they originally talked to Meyer.

Hmmm... I think they knew she was a Muser and she'd written a reasonably succesful book. I don't think they really knew the subject or the cult it has created.

Sounds like it hasn't been used that much though... maybe Muse should've just released it as a B-Side to Undisclosed Desires or Resistance if they were gonna be that fucked around by it.

Bands like Coldplay and the Foo Fighters have played Wembley, haven't they? :unsure: I don't know if they've played anything that big here...

Also, see what I said above to Jessica about not trying to force things :)

Green Day, Coldplay and Foo Fighters have all played Wembley shows, and I don't think they've played shows at that level in the US. Cos there isn't much of a national radio scene - its more city-by-city or region-by-region in America, right?

I think its easier to get into UK/EU stadiums then it is to get into US stadiums anyway. You have to have a million hits and have been going for so long to get into American stadiums.

We can live with Stephanie Meyer being a Muse fan - I'm fine with that. But most Musers are put off by the casual Musers who love SMBH or NSC (LiF) but when they hear something like MoTP, NB or even Hysteria they act like they have an ear rash.

And the concept probably doesn't appeal that well either.

Chris' comments are also probably the most real. Matt and Dom's enthusiasm is cool but Chris' realism is to be applauded. Besides the bouncing around Muse had with the song for Eclipse, it sounds like they just got pissed off by them

I'll admit that I only heard of Muse because of Twilight but now I'm a huge Muse fan - I own all the albums and singles, love most all of their songs, and have bought concert tix and merchandise.

I hope Muse realizes that while there are casual "Twi-Musers" who only know the songs from the Twilight soundtracks, there are also plenty of us who have become and will remain hardcore Muse fans.

Makes you wonder why they keep asking Muse to be on it in the first place. :LOL:

Probably at Meyer's insistence! Although I doubt she has any control over how they use Muse in the movie. It'll be interesting to see if they're on either/both of the Breaking Dawn soundtracks after being jerked around so much for Eclipse. I also wonder if they'll be on the soundtrack for Meyer's sci-fi book, The Host, which seems much more "Muse-y" than Twilight ever did.

I agree. It's not that they shouldn't want to be bigger here but I think that they need to just do what they've been doing all along and let it come naturally. When the time is right, if the time is right, it'll happen :)

They didn't go from clubs to wembley overnight in the UK, so they shouldn't expect to be able to do that here.

Bingo!

Green Day, Coldplay and Foo Fighters have all played Wembley shows, and I don't think they've played shows at that level in the US. Cos there isn't much of a national radio scene - its more city-by-city or region-by-region in America, right?

Yeah. I mean, look at California alone. It's a huge area, a very successful market. But there are huge differences in the ticket sales between Los Angeles+So. Cal, San Francisco+Bay Area and Sacramento+Central Valley. LA dates sell rapidly and sell out frequently, San Fran sells a little slower, but just as successfully, while Sacramento sales always drag. But if there was one place they could pull off a stadium show, I'd say California is their best bet.

I'll admit that I only heard of Muse because of Twilight but now I'm a huge Muse fan - I own all the albums and singles, love most all of their songs, and have bought concert tix and merchandise.

I hope Muse realizes that while there are casual "Twi-Musers" who only know the songs from the Twilight soundtracks, there are also plenty of us who have become and will remain hardcore Muse fans.

There are people who discover the band through Twilight then go onto play and love their whole discography and this is cool because they have made the effort to take time out to appreciate the work Muse have done aside from the Twilight songs.

The downside is that they're outnumbered by those who've only ever heard IBTY, SMBH, NSC and other hits like TiRO, Uprising and Starlight... such a shame Muse chooses to cater to them rather than the people who have heard the stuff beyond the hits.

Probably at Meyer's insistence! Although I doubt she has any control over how they use Muse in the movie. It'll be interesting to see if they're on either/both of the Breaking Dawn soundtracks after being jerked around so much for Eclipse. I also wonder if they'll be on the soundtrack for Meyer's sci-fi book, The Host, which seems much more "Muse-y" than Twilight ever did.

Your first point is probably exactly what they hoped for. I imagine there are lots of Twilight fans who aren't fussed about Muse but the ones who explore the back catalogue and like it are the ones they were hoping to reach.:D

As to your third para, that sounds right to me. She's been a Muse fan for years. The first book got published before BH&R was out, so her inspiration was 'old Muse'; Origin, Absolution, maybe even Showbiz and Hullabaloo. If they do use Muse tracks for the last two films they should use some of the old stuff. It'd probably be truer to her expectations.

Regarding Chris admitting that Muse have 'sold their soul' in giving songs to Twilight, it's not a shocking thing for him to say imo, bearing in mind that there are some bands who are painfully choosy about where their music may be used. Muse don't seem to have ever worried about their music being used pretty much anywhere and everywhere. You only have to look at the 'Where you heard Muse last' thread to know that. So, having songs on the Twilight soundtrack wasn't exactly their first step into 'selling their soul'. It was just the step that helped them 'break' America, which is something that gives a lot of status to a UK band and is perfectly understandable.:)

As to your third para, that sounds right to me. She's been a Muse fan for years. The first book got published before BH&R was out, so her inspiration was 'old Muse'; Origin, Absolution, maybe even Showbiz and Hullabaloo. If they do use Muse tracks for the last two films they should use some of the old stuff. It'd probably be truer to her expectations.

Wouldn't it be funny if Meyer herself didn't like NSC because it's such a departure from old Muse? :LOL: Of course regardless of whether she likes the song I'm sure she's thrilled Muse wrote a song for her. (Yes, I know Matt wrote it about his ex, but Muse still gave the song for the Eclipse soundtrack without it appearing on another album, unlike with SMBH and IBTY).

Wouldn't it be funny if Meyer herself didn't like NSC because it's such a departure from old Muse? :LOL: Of course regardless of whether she likes the song I'm sure she's thrilled Muse wrote a song for her. (Yes, I know Matt wrote it about his ex, but Muse still gave the song for the Eclipse soundtrack without it appearing on another album, unlike with SMBH and IBTY).

It's possible! I'm sure she'd never say if she was disappointed though. Like you said, she's probably just happy and grateful that a band she loves wrote a song for one of the films based on her books.

I don't get the point of this at all.

I mean, if it weren't for Muse I would never even have heard of Twilight! Now I've bought and read all the books, seen all the movies and own a stack of Twilight merchandise.

Muse + Twilight are just perfect together.

So thank you MUSE for introducing me to TWILIGHT.

Chris said things certain people were thinking. Thats why they're happy because someone in the band agrees with them.

But these people seem to completely ignore the fact that Chris obviously finds it acceptable to "sell the soul" in order to get their music out in a different way :erm:

But these people seem to completely ignore the fact that Chris obviously finds it acceptable to "sell the soul" in order to get their music out in a different way :erm:
LOL, yes :LOL: i have to say i found some of the opinions expressed in this thread quite strange and downright contradictory :LOL:

Archived